• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are people born homophobic?

Just as anyone who dares voice the slightest reservation against any smallest portion of the Christian political agenda is out to strip people of religious liberties and impose secular values?

Yeah, I can play partisan too.

I'm not playing this game with you again, CT. I'll answer you one time and then I am done with you.

What I said is all too often true. "Homophobia" is the label thrown at almost everyone who has any reservations about any homo-related political agenda item, and that useage is highly innaccurate.

Contrariwise, your assertion is not particularly relevant to anything I actually said.

What I said is all too often true. "Homophobia" is the label thrown at almost everyone who has any reservations about any homo-related political agenda item, and that useage is highly innaccurate.

And what I said was true as well.

I know there are people who advocate for gay rights who overuse the word "homophobe" but there are certainly just as many on the other side who demonize gay rights proponents as out to strip religious liberties and impose secular values. It was a purely partisan statement for you to make that held little relevance to the thread.

And I don't care whether you continue to chat with me or not. I'm simply going to point out your hypocrisy every chance I get. If you don't like it, I'm sure you can find an ignore button.

In short, kids who grow up seeing almost exclusively straight behavior are going to be wary of overt homosexuals until they get used to them. No one has to teach them this, it is a function of early environment and instinct.

Not as children, they aren't. This behavior doesn't become engrained until adolescence.

Not as children, they aren't. This behavior doesn't become engrained until adolescence.

:shrug: Perhaps. I have no studies to cite, but I have known young children to notice homosexual couples, and to appear to be shocked by their behavior and exclaim surprise, even though they don't know what "homosexual" means.

:shrug: Perhaps. I have no studies to cite, but I have known young children to notice homosexual couples, and to appear to be shocked by their behavior and exclaim surprise, even though they don't know what "homosexual" means.

That is because their idiot parents have not exposed them to any gay folks!

That is because their idiot parents have not exposed them to any gay folks!

Kali, has it occurred to you that maybe their parents didn't know any gay people? On a personal level that is? Or at least, not any that they cared to take their kids around?

I didn't. We don't all live in areas where "everybody knows some nice gay people." The only gays I knew at the time consisted of a guy I grew up with who was a neurotic trainwreck, and my wife's Uncle Creepy who struck me as a likely pedophile and had Hep-C on top of it. Not exactly what you'd call postive role models of the, um, type.

This may be more due to their unfamiliarity rather than something ingrained. I've known children who grew up in homosexual households, pratically from birth. They were not shocked at all.

Kali, has it occurred to you that maybe their parents didn't know any gay people? On a personal level that is? Or at least, not any that they cared to take their kids around?

I didn't. We don't all live in areas where "everybody knows some nice gay people." The only gays I knew at the time consisted of a guy I grew up with who was a neurotic trainwreck, and my wife's Uncle Creepy who struck me as a likely pedophile and had Hep-C on top of it. Not exactly what you'd call postive role models of the, um, type.

Actually, I think this is accurate for any group of people. We often base our perceptions of a group on those we know of that group. If every short person I have met and interacted with has been a liar, it is likely that I will approach all short people with that perception.

It is a parents job to expose their children to different things to make their children well rounded and well adjusted people in this world. This would include making an effort to educate children on different faiths, cultures, religions, sexuality, etc.

Not knowing does not cut it as parents should already explain these things to children.

It is a parents job to expose their children to different things to make their children well rounded and well adjusted people in this world. This would include making an effort to educate children on different faiths, cultures, religions, sexuality, etc.

Not knowing does not cut it as parents should already explain these things to children.

I should go out of my way to explain homosexuality to a 4yo? :shock:

Hell, I didn't go out of my way to explain heterosexuality to my 4yo!

At any rate, what I SAID was that maybe the parents are not on familiar terms with any "nice gay people" (recall, you said the parents should expose the children to gay people??) So how exactly would they introduce their children to a type of person they don't know? Should they take out an add in the paper? "We'd like to meet some nice gay people, so we can expose our child to you so they don't grow up homophobic."

C'mon, Kali, that's silly.

Last edited:

I don't necessarily think it is the parents' responsibility to expose their children to everything, but I do think it is the parents' responsibility to answer their childrens' questions about anything.

I should go out of my way to explain homosexuality to a 4yo? :shock:

Hell, I didn't go out of my way to explain heterosexuality to my 4yo!

Yes.. I am one of these people that think you should start explaining these things early. There is nothing wrong with it at all and sexuality is a part of life.

You do not have to go into great detail at 4 years old but could explain that sometimes other boys think others boys are cute or something like that. I am sure there are books for this too:)

Yes.. I am one of these people that think you should start explaining these things early. There is nothing wrong with it at all and sexuality is a part of life.

You do not have to go into great detail at 4 years old but could explain that sometimes other boys think others boys are cute or something like that. I am sure there are books for this too:)

No thank you, ma'am. I'm not intrested in trying to explain homosexuality to a 4yo child. A 14yo, yes... but four is too young IMO.

I don't necessarily think it is the parents' responsibility to expose their children to everything, but I do think it is the parents' responsibility to answer their childrens' questions about anything.

I did not say everything. I really feel if parents would do their jobs and make sure to expose and educate their children about other faiths, cultures, religions and sexuality? This world would be a much better place.

To raise your children inside a vacum is not the right idea as this is a big world and kids should be learning lessons about that fact from birth.

I did not say everything. I really feel if parents would do their jobs and make sure to expose and educate their children about other faiths, cultures, religions and sexuality? This world would be a much better place.

To raise your children inside a vacum is not the right idea as this is a big world and kids should be learning lessons about that fact from birth.

Most people will teach children about things from their own perspective. It's natural to do things that way. IMO, what GOOD parents do is answer questions about other perspectives and indicate that there is nothing wrong with those perspectives... when we are discussing faith, cultures, and sexual orientation. These are all just opinions.

Most people will teach children about things from their own perspective. It's natural to do things that way. IMO, what GOOD parents do is answer questions about other perspectives and indicate that there is nothing wrong with those perspectives... when we are discussing faith, cultures, and sexual orientation. These are all just opinions.

Which can be a problem and is why racist and homophobes are raisings kids to be haters.

My thought is you should expose and educate your children to things outside your own small world. Of course I feel adults should do this too so it may be wishful thinking.

It is not fair for children to go to school or anywhere else and be lacking about the other things that are out here and it is a damn shame that we lose so many children because they decide to kill themselves over bullying.

It must start & stop somewhere and the parents are the key.

I don't care what children are taught as long as they are taught it is not alright to tease or abuse their peers just because they are different. You don't have to teach a child about homosexuality to teach them that some families are different and may have two daddies or two mommies and contrary to the fear mongering religious zealots, a child learning about such families in no way distorts their perceptions or confuses them. There are innumerable children who have managed to learn about the existence of same sex families and not grow up with gender confusion.

Obviously the Bible is "value laden" in here as well. The fact is, academia and the media have become so sympathetic towards sodomites these days, finding any source to satisfy this bunch in here is next to impossible.

Homosexuality Statistics - Conservapedia

You haven't been here very long, have you? Thanks for the effort, but you should be aware that Conservapedia doesn't rate high on DP's Dependable Sources league table. Does the fact that academia places greater store by quantitative, peer-reviewed studies than by biblically-referential theological treatise make it "sympathetic to sodomites"? I suspect it does.

Also, if you wish to engage in debate, you might like to cut out the insulting terminology, especially as psychologically speaking, theologically speaking and historically speaking, 'sodomy' does not refer exclusively to homosexuality. As you can see, there are many people here willing to indulge you in debate, provided your aggressive and insulting attitude doesn't put them off.

As one who has spent the last 28 years raising children, I would say the best time to discuss most anything with them is at the point where they ask about it. Their age certainly determines the language one might use by way of explanation, but believe me -- kids are not shy about asking questions. If a parent does not wait until a child has a natural curiosity about something, what they are indulging in is indoctrination rather than explanation, and this is true no matter what views are being expressed. Unfortunately, some of these views are born of bigotry or lack of a true understanding of the meaning of morality, but the essential issue here is one of allowing the child's cognitive development to determine the approach to take, and not the parent's overriding needs to shape the child.

I certainly think males are born with the instinct that one should never pee in a stall too close to another guy who is peeing!

:lol:

As one who has spent the last 28 years raising children, I would say the best time to discuss most anything with them is at the point where they ask about it. Their age certainly determines the language one might use by way of explanation, but believe me -- kids are not shy about asking questions. If a parent does not wait until a child has a natural curiosity about something, what they are indulging in is indoctrination rather than explanation, and this is true no matter what views are being expressed. Unfortunately, some of these views are born of bigotry or lack of a true understanding of the meaning of morality, but the essential issue here is one of allowing the child's cognitive development to determine the approach to take, and not the parent's overriding needs to shape the child.

Bravo! Whether the views are born of bigotry or enlightenment, imposing parental ideas on kids is fairly ubiquitous. If you agree with what is taught, it is education, if you disagree, it's indoctrination. I tend to believe it's the latter no matter what.

Actually, you probably do know some nice gay people. It's just that they don't consider it safe to be open about it (either with you, or with others). They're EVERYWHERE.

I mean, hell, our governor was gay, and he married a nice woman just so he could stay in the closet as deeply as possible. But, it is common knowledge in my town, he's frequently out and hitting on young guys.

No thank you, ma'am. I'm not intrested in trying to explain homosexuality to a 4yo child. A 14yo, yes... but four is too young IMO.

Just watch the androgynously gay duo with your child, and they'll figure it out.

It's just the same as being born racist. It's ridiculous, and it's much more fun for some people to hate on things than to accept things.

--end thread--

Back
Top Bottom