• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are only white people in the US capable of racism?

In the US, are only white people capable of racism?

• Total voters
Are you saying Kurds are generally Christian?

No and I would take that back. I was a little too quick with that response. The point is though that for all of the supposed racism of the West, many races seem to want to come here despite there being many other rich cities in the world that people can move to.

At an individual level, of course. I think that's not even worth addressing. At a systemic level, it's more rare, but america is segregated to the point that neighborhoods that are almost exclusively non white are common. There you will find systemic racism towards whites and other minorities.

When you stop and ask yourself WHY it's so common, though, it often revolves around perceived racism harbored by whites - that they don't want to live near blacks etc, or that the blacks etc who live there have experienced enough racism for a lifetime. This is also why 'gayborhoods' exist

In other cases, it's just that's the only housing the minority group can afford and it may be more due to 'white flight' racism decades ago than racism today. Evidence for this includes the formerly middle class white americans who are moving back into these neighborhoods, ever since the economic collapse

If you want to talk about systemic racism, it doesn't get more textbook than the deleterious effects of affirmative action on Asian and Indian Americans.

And "white flight" equally if not more so harms whites as it does blacks. You just hit the nail on the head, whites move out, selling their houses for under market value, and then move back when they realize that their fears were misconstrued and irrational.

Plus I think we have to distinguish between what sort of "flight" we are talking about here. What might appear as "white flight" can also sometimes be a reaction to low income/subsidized housing being built in what were once middle class neighborhoods. I've seen this first hand, it drives down prices and a lot of the old middle class residents put their houses up for sale out of fear that prices will be driven down further. It has nothing to do with race, though it may appear that way to an un-nuanced eye.

Last edited:
Yes, only white people in the U.S. can be racist because racist thought come from a sense of superiority and being able to hold power over others.

Seems like a ridiculous trollbait poll; of course not, prejudice and racism are equal opportunity memes.

Yes, only white people in the U.S. can be racist because racist thought come from a sense of superiority and being able to hold power over others.

By that extension, poor whites can't be racist either.

Turks don't like Christians. That article states that only 6% of Turks view Christianity favorably.

So extreme bigotry is held in Turkey... Glad we cleared that one up.

There are people who voted... yes??? Trolling right?

There are people who voted... yes??? Trolling right?

You need some exposure to the social justice warrior disease.

What do you think?

I phrased the question slightly differently for the actual poll question. I'm specifically asking about racism in the US. I'm not asking if you think only white Americans are capable racism in all the world.

Nope. All people can be racist.

But white people benefit more from institutionalized, systemic racism than any other colour.

What do you think?

I phrased the question slightly differently for the actual poll question. I'm specifically asking about racism in the US. I'm not asking if you think only white Americans are capable racism in all the world.

I had a Chinese neighbor in the Bay Area. She said something off color about one of the families on the block. I must have looked shocked. she smiled and said many Chinese are racist and then fired away with various slurs about the Thais, the Vietnamese, the Koreans... She explained that it even the different provinces of China had ill to say about the others...

Never quite saw her in the same light after that.

no.

However, white racism in America is the worst because whites are the majority. Racism from the majority is always worse than it is from the minority (besides isolated instances).

I've heard from many Asians in universities complaints about affirmative action. They lose big time. They have to work much harder than Hispanics and blacks to get the same position. I'll tell you, they aren't resenting whites because of this issue.

Yet despite this, more Asians are supporting the Democrats than ever before. 73% of them voted for Obama in 2012.

And don't white women benefit the most from affirmative action?

I am a racist and a bigot because I want fewer immigrants so it will be easier for poor blacks to find employment.

No, that makes you woefully misinformed, economically illiterate and tastelessly sentimental - but not a racist or a bigot.

Yet despite this, more Asians are supporting the Democrats than ever before. 73% of them voted for Obama in 2012.

And don't white women benefit the most from affirmative action?

How are we defining as "benefitting most?" Are we talking about total enrollment boost, or by individual merit boost? Because its hard to get much more benefit than the roughly 20 percentile point boost AA's and LA's get on various standardized testing scores such as the SAT, ACT, LSAT, MCAT, etc. In simpler terms, its the equivalent of giving a C student an A because of his or her skin color. If some had their way, you bet grades would be weighted according to color as well.

you 4 "yes" voters are racist crackophobes..

No, that makes you woefully misinformed, economically illiterate and tastelessly sentimental - but not a racist or a bigot.

Three out of five isn't bad coming from a libertarian.

You could at least explain your self instead of leaving graffiti.

What absolute nonsense. The deeper a sense of personal inferiority, the stronger xenophobic sentiment. Look around, man. As for "holding power", it only enables you to do more damage if you are racist, it does not cause racism; not to mention that specific "positions of power" create anti-racist psychological pressure. For example, a racist business owner may be still hiring and promoting black employees if they make him good money.

Three out of five isn't bad coming from a libertarian.

You could at least explain your self instead of leaving graffiti.

It was a graffiti in response to a graffiti.

(Explanation: It is not a zero-sum game. By supporting economic activities that would not exist otherwise (native labor is too expensive), immigrants create jobs for themselves and for others. More specifically, insulate black neighborhoods typically stagnate in poverty and underemployment; diverse neighborhoods, with a good proportion of immigrants, are upward mobile, helping poor blacks to acquire habits and skills needed for steady employment.

the first racists were the arabs and north africans versus the black africans, but the word "racist" didn't exist until the 1800's, to describe white supremacy, there were things worse than racism, for example in the 1300's spains blue blood policy was much more exclusive, in the sense that racism is a unfiier of all people of one race.

What do you think?

Anyone on this planet can be prejudiced towards other people.

But what effect does a poor, powerless,persons hatred have on anyone?

Back
Top Bottom