• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are new 'things' deliberatly made to last not too long?

And the car you owned. It only made it to 5 years?

Really?

My 2003 Hyundai Accent made 135,000 miles and 10 years before the clutch went out.

That was in the lowest priced car in the US at that time.
I drive almost exclusively manual transmissions, and apparently I am very easy on clutches. I have never replaced a clutch. Ever. I've had mechanics act shocked when they check them out at how good they look.

Drove one car 200,000 miles before I sold it (bought it brand new), never had to replaced the clutch, though the buyer did replace it at 240,000 miles.

I drive almost exclusively manual transmissions, and apparently I am very easy on clutches. I have never replaced a clutch. Ever. I've had mechanics act shocked when they check them out at how good they look.

Drove one car 200,000 miles before I sold it (bought it brand new), never had to replaced the clutch, though the buyer did replace it at 240,000 miles.

Hyundai was bought new for $7,500. My normal mode was "drive it like you stole it" and still got 135,000 out pf it.

Completely agree... though I think American-made vehicles are still slightly inferior (as a general rule).

Inferior to what may be imported. Many makers have US specific models that are a step above the local models.

However there are a lot of cars not imported that are inferior.

It seems so! Technology fro years back could be used much longer then it is now!

It the technology backward or is it done deliberatly?

I think the latter!

printers 'die' after so much years, cars don't last longer then 5 years, computers break down rather fast. lightbulbs 'die'
after so may hourse and the list goes on and on.

what do you think?

This goes back to Henry Ford and his business plan.

It seems so! Technology fro years back could be used much longer then it is now!

I think the latter!

printers 'die' after so much years, cars don't last longer then 5 years, computers break down rather fast. lightbulbs 'die'

what do you think?

I think somethings are made to last a relatively short period of time but it's not because of any conspiracy. The overwhelming majority of people replace their smartphones, for example, long before they wear out because they want the new features and capabilities of the newer phones. So, why spend money making devices that last twenty years when people don't want to keep them that long.

My computer printer is about eight years old. I wish it would die. I'm too cheap to replace a printer that's working but I'd sure like to have a new wireless model so I could print off devices other than my computer.

I live in Mexico now and I told my sister, "In the U.S. nobody repairs something that can be replaced and in Mexico nobody replaces something that can be repaired."

what world are you living in? I've never owned a car younger then 12 years. I've put multiple cars past 12 years and 200,000 miles. cars thirty years ago only had five didgets on the odometer. you are not correct here.

There are other "tricks' used to make keeping that older vehicle running more expensive (and profitable?). Instead of making "wear parts" easily replaceable (serviceable?) they use things like sealed (no way to grease them) bearing assemblies and super expensive one of a kind housings around a common part (like a light bulb). They change things like wheel bolt patterns and rim sizes making parts swapping (interchanging?) impossible. They make bumper assemblies that suffer no damage with a 5 mph impact but require complete replacement with a 10 mph impact.

There are other "tricks' used to make keeping that older vehicle running more expensive (and profitable?). Instead of making "wear parts" easily replaceable (serviceable?) they use things like sealed (no way to grease them) bearing assemblies and super expensive one of a kind housings around a common part (like a light bulb). They change things like wheel bolt patterns and rim sizes making parts swapping (interchanging?) impossible. They make bumper assemblies that suffer no damage with a 5 mph impact but require complete replacement with a 10 mph impact.
Some things like the bumper thing actually have some logic behind them. Others that you mention do not, except for the manufacturer's profit margin.

I remember when you could go to a part store and many parts would be the same for almost any GM product between 1968 and 1975 (made up example, but it was like that). Several years later I wanted to change the rotors on my 1990 Dodge Dakota and was asked "which size?". Apparently, there were two sizes within the same year because the manufacturer got a better deal from another supplier in mid-production.

Some things like the bumper thing actually have some logic behind them. Others that you mention do not, except for the manufacturer's profit margin.

I remember when you could go to a part store and many parts would be the same for almost any GM product between 1968 and 1975 (made up example, but it was like that). Several years later I wanted to change the rotors on my 1990 Dodge Dakota and was asked "which size?". Apparently, there were two sizes within the same year because the manufacturer got a better deal from another supplier in mid-production.

I recently bought a 2015 48" deck lawn tractor (mower) that has a hydrostatic transmission and a US made motor. The new 2016 (but not improved) replacement model now has an automatic transmission ($400 cheaper?) and a Chinese made motor ($200 cheaper?) but for the same suggested retail price.

I recently bought a 2015 48" deck lawn tractor (mower) that has a hydrostatic transmission and a US made motor. The new 2016 (but not improved) replacement model now has an automatic transmission ($400 cheaper?) and a Chinese made motor ($200 cheaper?) but for the same suggested retail price.
Ha! I believe it. I bet that decision to hold the price was made because they know the vast majority of buyers will never know the difference.

It's kind of like a food maker putting out smaller packages at the same price and acting as if nothing happened.

I think the latter!

what do you think?

I guess you must be choosing to buy the wrong consumer goods.

I have a car that's almost 10 years old, and I have another that just passed its 25th birthday. Both are in excellent operating condition (everything works).

I have a PC that's been running non-stop for going on 5 years now, and just upgraded it to Windows 10, and it's running just fine, thank you.

I have an HP printer that's nearly as old, and everything works on it as it should.

I think you just need to be a bit more careful in what you buy.

I guess you must be choosing to buy the wrong consumer goods.

I have a car that's almost 10 years old, and I have another that just passed its 25th birthday. Both are in excellent operating condition (everything works).

I have a PC that's been running non-stop for going on 5 years now, and just upgraded it to Windows 10, and it's running just fine, thank you.

I have an HP printer that's nearly as old, and everything works on it as it should.

I think you just need to be a bit more careful in what you buy.

well as I have written befor, it is, of course, all about statistics.

that YOUR stuff works doesnn't mean everyone worls!

Put some perspective in it, mate!

what world are you living in? I've never owned a car younger then 12 years. I've put multiple cars past 12 years and 200,000 miles. cars thirty years ago only had five didgets on the odometer. you are not correct here.

Buy new furniture and you'll see the difference. I've still got a dresser that I bought when I first moved out on my own because it was cheap. When I compare how it was built to how the stuff they sell today is built, there is no comparison. My wife bought a new dresser about 15 years ago and the first time my son used it as a ladder, the drawer simply collapsed and it was a better quality unit than most. Some things have gotten better, other things have gotten worse...

Lets look at the stats....

Life spa of an incandescent bulb of 20 years ago vs. LED of today.

Life spa of an average car of 20 years ago vs. average car of today.

Guess I'm just lucky then. I have a bunch of stuff that's towards older, and still working well. Our Washer Drier is now 25 years old, and still working great.

I guess it really does pay to take good care of your things, of course, I'm not saying that you don't. Just that it pays if you do.

Guess I'm just lucky then. I have a bunch of stuff that's towards older, and still working well. Our Washer Drier is now 25 years old, and still working great.

I guess it really does pay to take good care of your things, of course, I'm not saying that you don't. Just that it pays if you do.

Strange how the OP has everything break on him.

Strange how the OP has everything break on him.

Kinda my observation as well.

I've had things break on me before. Hell, everyone does. That's not what I'm saying, that nothing breaks on me.

But of the bigger ticket items, doing the regularly scheduled maintenance, using the 'good stuff' (lubes and such), all seem to have a pay off that is worth it.

Kinda my observation as well.

I've had things break on me before. Hell, everyone does. That's not what I'm saying, that nothing breaks on me.

But of the bigger ticket items, doing the regularly scheduled maintenance, using the 'good stuff' (lubes and such), all seem to have a pay off that is worth it.

I work in the IT department of a large enterprise. We routinely replace computers not because of failure, but because of the fact technology marches on and the users want the "newer faster" model.

The basement is full of Dual Core Pentiums that are awaiting recycle to other countries where they will appreciate computers that merely work.

I work in the IT department of a large enterprise. We routinely replace computers not because of failure, but because of the fact technology marches on and the users want the "newer faster" model.

The basement is full of Dual Core Pentiums that are awaiting recycle to other countries where they will appreciate computers that merely work.

Yeah, same here. IT big company. All the laptops are leased for X years and then replaced with new lease. Servers are all purchased and have a longer useful lifetime, as does network gear.

My car is really old. Every time I think, Oh, maybe we'll get a new car now, hubby fixes the old one. But, some modern things are definitely built to fall apart. Example: I can't find a kitchen timer that keeps working. But, my brother has an ancient one that belonged to my mom, and it still works!

Back
Top Bottom