• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are new 'things' deliberatly made to last not too long?

No doubt. What I am wondering is how reliable electric cars will be. Except for the batteries I can see them lasting a lifetime. That will put a lot of car companies out of business I'm afraid. There has to be a little obsolescence or there will be no sales.

When those electric cars came out, I said that they won't be very good and have a rather low action radius.
I said this, because once there were electric cars with huge action radius, but they were all destroyed by GM!
Someone up high isn't happy with cars with huge radius. Too much independemce I think.

How I knew this? Look for the movie "Who killed the electric car"

It seemed to be removed from youtube!

And then too think that there have been people who get cars run on small differences in gravity!
wow!

Last edited:
That's a bit misleading though as the 90s ( where this chart starts were times of cheap (cheaply made) cars as was the mid to late 70s..
If we had a chart going back to say the 50s I bet you would see a very different picture.

I bet you don't.

It seems so! Technology fro years back could be used much longer then it is now!

It the technology backward or is it done deliberatly?

I think the latter!

printers 'die' after so much years, cars don't last longer then 5 years, computers break down rather fast. lightbulbs 'die'
after so may hourse and the list goes on and on.

what do you think?

The Smith and Wesson I have will likely last hundreds of years if treated properly.

Your car wont make it past 5 years? I don't believe you are old enough to have owned a car 5 years.

My recent cars have reached 130,000-160,000 miles with minimal repairs. Brakes, transmission, suspension, etc. Try that with a 1957 Chevy.

Come to think of it, what percentage of the cars from the 1960s are still daily drivers? 1%? 2%? Why is that? In plenty of cases they broke down. How many millions of the Model T were made? 15 million+ and how many are still roadworthy?

Technology renders most computers and printers obsolete well before they physically fail. My old 8088 still booted when it went away. I am typing on a 10+ year old refurbished laptop.

Light-bulbs have INCREASED in lifespan over the last 10 years.

So far your list fails....

Typical incandescent bulbs last 1,000 to 2,000 hours. But in speaking about LED replacements, lamp life is routinely quoted as 25,000 to 50,000 hours. Long lamp life, and the reduced power used to create the same amount of light, is what makes this technology so promising.

But what does a 25,000-hour life mean? As it turns out, no one is quite sure yet. The definitions surrounding LED lamps, a nascent technology, are still being made up as we go along.

One thing we do know: It means something different than when people think about the life of a regular light bulb.

When it’s said that a standard light bulb will last 1,000 hours, that is the mean time to failure: half the bulbs will fail by that point. And because lamp manufacturing has become so routine, most of the rest will fail within 100 hours or so of that point.

But LED lamps don’t “burn out.” Rather, like old generals, they just fade away.

When a manufacturer says that an LED lamp will last 25,000 or 50,000 hours, what the company actually means is that at that point, the light emanating from that product will be at 70 percent the level it was when new.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/how-long-did-you-say-that-bulb-will-last/?_r=0

Typical incandescent bulbs last 1,000 to 2,000 hours. But in speaking about LED replacements, lamp life is routinely quoted as 25,000 to 50,000 hours. Long lamp life, and the reduced power used to create the same amount of light, is what makes this technology so promising.

But what does a 25,000-hour life mean? As it turns out, no one is quite sure yet. The definitions surrounding LED lamps, a nascent technology, are still being made up as we go along.

One thing we do know: It means something different than when people think about the life of a regular light bulb.

When it’s said that a standard light bulb will last 1,000 hours, that is the mean time to failure: half the bulbs will fail by that point. And because lamp manufacturing has become so routine, most of the rest will fail within 100 hours or so of that point.

But LED lamps don’t “burn out.” Rather, like old generals, they just fade away.

When a manufacturer says that an LED lamp will last 25,000 or 50,000 hours, what the company actually means is that at that point, the light emanating from that product will be at 70 percent the level it was when new.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/how-long-did-you-say-that-bulb-will-last/?_r=0

you obviously hasn't seen the video! Please watch first because you come out with this crap!

Saying "watch the video" is the lamest form of discussion.

And what is "crap" about what I posted?

see the video, it really answers your questions, including why it is crap.

Pin,

How long does a light bulb from the 1960s last compared to a 2016 LED bulb?

watch video, pleeasseee, avswers all your qustions.

You are in your posting not differentiating about 'relative' and 'absolute' differences.

Watch movie and you see what I mean.

TRANSLATION: You have nothing intelligent to say about my post or indeed about planned obsolescence.

Have you ever owned a car?

Hmm not reading my posting eh? In my first posting I wrote I have seen it all around me.

Have you ever owned a car?

yes. so what?

And your PERCEPTION has shown to be flawed in a wide range of issues.

which is only your opinion.

Seen the video yet? If not that is a bit strange, you seem to have enough time on your hand to post!
So, it isn't a lack of time, hence it must be something else. What would that be? ;)

(Oh btw, your avatar is telling me sooo much, you can't believe it! But it is ok, it is a warning signs not too go with you
into a too deep dialogue.)

watch video, pleeasseee, avswers all your qustions.

You are in your posting not differentiating about 'relative' and 'absolute' differences.

Watch movie and you see what I mean.

Ok, I've watched your video. Unfortunately it's mistaken. And this video explains why. No, I can't summarize the points made, you just have to watch it. And please watch the WHOLE video before replying.

yes. so what?

which is only your opinion.

Seen the video yet? If not that is a bit strange, you seem to have enough time on your hand to post!
So, it isn't a lack of time, hence it must be something else. What would that be? ;)

(Oh btw, your avatar is telling me sooo much, you can't believe it! But it is ok, it is a warning signs not too go with you
into a too deep dialogue.)

And the car you owned. It only made it to 5 years?

Really?

My 2003 Hyundai Accent made 135,000 miles and 10 years before the clutch went out.

That was in the lowest priced car in the US at that time.

My recent cars have reached 130,000-160,000 miles with minimal repairs. Brakes, transmission, suspension, etc. Try that with a 1957 Chevy.

I actually did try that with a Chevy of that era. I was constantly rebuilding something. The power steering pump lasted maybe three months between rebuilds. There was ALWAYS an electrical component failing: The headlight switch, the wiper motor, the horn randomly honked when I turned the steering wheel. The hands down most fragile component was the air conditioning system. They MIGHT last two weeks between repairs. UGGGHHH!!!

I actually did try that with a Chevy of that era. I was constantly rebuilding something. The power steering pump lasted maybe three months between rebuilds. There was ALWAYS an electrical component failing: The headlight switch, the wiper motor, the horn randomly honked when I turned the steering wheel. The hands down most fragile component was the air conditioning system. They MIGHT last two weeks between repairs. UGGGHHH!!!

I love it when I hear people wax nostalgic about their muscle cars of the 1960s-1970s....

Often it becomes a litany of what broke when and how one scrimped to get the dimes together for a tie rod end or a U-Joint.

I had a big-block Chevy from 1970. Bought used in the early 1980s.... Unmodified it would be beaten by some family cars of today 0-60 or quarter mile. It's handling beaten by minivans today. AC was a joke as were its ergonomics. By 60,000 miles it was on its second engine. Front suspension bushings at 70,000.

And the car you owned. It only made it to 5 years?

Really?

My 2003 Hyundai Accent made 135,000 miles and 10 years before the clutch went out.

That was in the lowest priced car in the US at that time.

well, my car did indeed not get old.BUT a very good friend of me has a 40 year old car and still running very good!

BUT

What you are doing is wrong. It is not about 1 thing. Please use some statistics. This is very dumb and illogical what you are doing.

Last edited:
My answer to this topic is as follows.

I will appeal to the standard physics you regard as rubbish. The Second Law of Thermodynamics (entropy) dictates that structure will decay, break down or fall apart. It's just a matter of time.

The more robust and resistant to breaking down a manufactured product is the more it will cost. More planing, work and effort must be applied to it's construction. It is possible to make things which will last a very long time, but they will cost more and more the higher the quality of a product. Consumer level goods generally do not meet those very high standards of manufacture for the very reason that things would then cost to much. So we do with somewhat less quality to keep the price down to where the general consumer can afford the purchase. You get what you pay for. It's as simple as that.

Last edited:
My answer to this topic is as follows.

I will appeal to the standard physics you regard as rubbish. The Second Law of Thermodynamics (entropy) dictates that structure will decay, break down or fall apart. It's just a matter of time.

The more robust and resistant to breaking down a manufactured product is the more it will cost. More planing, work and effort must be applied to it's construction. It is possible to make things which will last a very long time, but they will cost more and more the higher the quality of a product. Consumer level goods generally do not meet those very high standards of manufacture for the very reason that things would the cost to much. So we do with somewhat less quality to keep the price down to where the general consumer can afford the purchase. You get what you pay for. It's as simple as that.

Brilliant

well, my car did indeed not get old.

Details

BUT a very good friend of me has a 40 year old car and still running very good!

Good for him. I suggest you consult him as to how to keep a car running.

What you are doing is wrong. It is not about 1 thing. Please use some statistics. This is very dumb and illogical what you are doing.

It is one of the things you mentioned in the OP.

But.... OK, LED lights. It is one of the things you mentioned in the OP as well. And you don't want to discuss that either.

And what statistics will dissuade you from making your claims? You appear resistant to statistics.

It seems so! Technology fro years back could be used much longer then it is now!

It the technology backward or is it done deliberatly?

I think the latter!

printers 'die' after so much years, cars don't last longer then 5 years, computers break down rather fast. lightbulbs 'die'
after so may hourse and the list goes on and on.

what do you think?
It's some of both.

- Cheap printers don't seem to last long, and their performance re ink/toner is questionable, at best. Good printers do last. It's sad, though, that I had to learn a trick online to get full use of toner for my laser printer. If I let the printer's sensors do their job I use roughly half the toner then it tells me the toner is out and I have to buy another. I learned that if I put a piece of black electrical tape over the sensor, I get virtually double the prints than I would have otherwise. THAT's insidious, and probably intentional, IMO.

- Computers don't necessarily break down, but rather become obsolete through fast-changing technological advances.

- Cars are as robust as ever. For the most part I think this ones comes down to the owner and how well they care for it. As an example, I live in a rust belt area and half the vehicles get serious rust within 10 years, and half don't. What's the difference? In my experience and observations, it's upkeep. Something as simple as washing the vehicle properly a few times in the winter and getting all the salt and stuff off.

- Some of it also is that efficiency has caught up with us. When is the last time you took an iron or a toaster to get fixed (or, fixed it yourself)? You don't because buying a new one is so cheap. People don't keep and fix items like that anymore because it's just as cost-efficient to replace rather than repair.

Whatever they may be trying to do it is not working as the chart shows. People are keeping their cars longer and longer. I also think foreign competion has improved American cars tremendously.
Completely agree... though I think American-made vehicles are still slightly inferior (as a general rule).

Back
Top Bottom