• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Are mormons christians?

democraticandidate

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I ask this as they count themselves in the umbrella group of believers. Certain inter-denominational groups do not count them as christians due to Joseph Smith, the "extra" Bible, and the belief in a modern day prophet.

Any thoughts?

The full name as found on the fronts of the church buildings is, "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints", not Mormon, which was a name others gave them, and it stuck. Gotta admit, Mormons is a lot less of a mouthfull than what is on the buildings. :lol:

I ask this as they count themselves in the umbrella group of believers. Certain inter-denominational groups do not count them as christians due to Joseph Smith, the "extra" Bible, and the belief in a modern day prophet.
The center of the Mormon Church is the Belief in Jesus Christ.

What are the criteria for being a "Christian" church?

No, but then again, there was only one christian and he died on the cross.
So no one is Christian?

By definition Mormons bekong to what we call "Protestant Christians". So thsy are Christians. Do all Mormons (Cathilics, Baptists) exhibit Christian "behavior"? That is a horse of another hue.

So no one is Christian?

Well, Jesus was, if you believe the scriptures saying he was The Christ and The Messiah, which is basically the same.

Than again, some believe that a messiah was a temple-position within the church, so in that case I guess there could have been more christians, but they would have certainly not believed in Christ-err- Jesus.

Mr U

I don't belong to any church but my sister turned Mormon many years ago. I consider their faith a alot more Christian than most of the other so-called Christian faiths in this country especially the Catholic church. Mormons will help each other in time of trouble and I have the utmost respect for them.

democraticandidate said:

Any thoughts?

I like the Mormons....good people.

I think they consider themselves Christians.

My position?

Are Catholics Christian?

Catholics altered the Gospels and added passages and added their own works to the New Testament as the "words of Christ."

There are only FOUR GOSPELS....all the other stuff in the New Testament was added by the men who wanted to give their interpretation of it.

And what about all of the Christian Protestants who inherited these alterations?

The Torah?

Look at all of the stuff added to the 10 commandments.

You've got the Epic of Gilgamesh added in there...the Temple Building projects of King Gudea are added in there...all added by men who wanted to invent a lineage for the Jews.

I think one way to know who is a Christian; if they follow the "Golden Rule" of Christianity:

Love thy Neighbor as thyself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom