• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are israelis welcome in the USA ?

speaking of "certain persons"
i've been to Israel once... for like 2 hours... the only person I actually talked to was a cab driver at Ben Gurion Intl. airport.

....he was an asshole.

I still like Israel, though... I'll probably take a real vacation there before I die.

Never been. A friend did an archeological dig one summer there. She did not have a lot to say good about the Israeli's she encountered either, but she enjoyed the historical stuff.

Dude , i'm an israeli myself . This is just my impression of americans. They seem to hate Israel with passion while literally worshipping the UK for understandable reasons. So whom would they welcome more? a nationality they admire or one they hate ?

You've gotten some bad info. Certainly there are segments of the population that dislike Israel's political positions (I'm one of them) but most Americans don't give a **** one way or another about Israeli citizens. Hell I lived with a bunch of kids with dual Israeli/US citizenship when I was in college. It's not a big deal.

where, exactly, have you visited in America where you encountered that sort of attitude?

San Frisco maybe... come to the South, whole different world. In fact America is several different worlds.

You'd be very wrong there. Tons of Israeli expats live in and around The Bay. No one cares. The notion that the south is somehow more tolerant of foreigners (of any stripe) than the Bay Area is frankly laughable.

where, exactly, have you visited in America where you encountered that sort of attitude?

San Frisco maybe... come to the South, whole different world. In fact America is several different worlds.

San Francisco is probably the most welcoming to immigrants from anywhere in the world... legal or illegal. It's a sanctuary city (which is not a selling point for me personally, however; I despise the idea of cities that give a big FU to our border security and immigration laws.). SF is a vibrant melting pot of people from all over the world . It welcomes all ethnicities and all religions enthusiastically, it doesn't just "tolerate" them, lol. It's also so damned PC that it refuses to allow pet shops to sell, well, pets, or fast-food stores to offer kids' meal toys because of ridiculous legislation... but I digress. :lol:

I think some folks get the impression that if a city (or state) is overwhelmingly liberal, it is automatically pro-palestinian/anti-Israeli because liberal ideology in general dislikes some Israeli governmental policies. Of course, liberal ideology dislikes some USA governmental policies as well, and the same can be said about conservative ideologies.

Despite the fact that my own ideology would keep me from ever residing in San Francisco, with its lunatic politicians, the people who live there are some of the most welcoming and hospitable on the planet. :)

You'd be very wrong there. Tons of Israeli expats live in and around The Bay. No one cares. The notion that the south is somehow more tolerant of foreigners (of any stripe) than the Bay Area is frankly laughable.

the south is pretty damn hospitable... the most hospitable place I've ever seen, actaully

whether it's more or less hospitable than San Fran I can't say... last I was in San Fran was 1970 on my way back from 'Nam... it wasn't hospitable to me at all back then.

Never been. A friend did an archeological dig one summer there. She did not have a lot to say good about the Israeli's she encountered either, but she enjoyed the historical stuff.

the history is why I would visit, and for no other reason.

sure would be nice if the whole middle east weren't so bat**** crazy.. there's amazing historical sites that I would love to visit, but sadly will never get the chance to.

the history is why I would visit, and for no other reason.

sure would be nice if the whole middle east weren't so bat**** crazy.. there's amazing historical sites that I would love to visit, but sadly will never get the chance to.

Me too, but that's just it--the region remains so dangerously unstable. I've a friend who's gone to Egypt yearly for 15 years. It's her fave place in the world. But even she isn't going.

the south is pretty damn hospitable... the most hospitable place I've ever seen, actaully

whether it's more or less hospitable than San Fran I can't say... last I was in San Fran was 1970 on my way back from 'Nam... it wasn't hospitable to me at all back then.

And what kind of a reception would a Vietnamese immigrant have gotten in your hometown in 1970? What kind of reception would Iranian immigrants get there today?

Last edited:
And what kind of a reception would a Vietnamese immigrant have gotten in your hometown in 1970? What kind of reception would Mexican immigrants get there today?

my hometown is Las Vegas...few give a **** about race or ethnicity in Vegas... there's no money in it.... since the mid 60's Vegas was a pretty progressive town, as long as there's money in it.

mexican immigrants are all over Vegas... you hear the usual bull**** about immigration " they stealin' our jobs!"... but overall, it's not a bad environment for immigrants.. no open hostility like i got in San Fran as a white male Marine.

FWIW, i'm a white dude in Texas now.. and even though folks are very hospitable,almost to a fault, there is still a palpable separation between true Texans and "yankees".
despite explaining Nevada's role in the civil war time and time again ( we weren't even a state yet), i'm still a "yankee"... it seems the definition of "yankee" is " anyone who is not a Texan"
I hear far more ****talking about yankees than I do about anything else, including immigrants of any flavor.
I told one buddy that my oldest boy is a native Texan ( born in Austin) he still says it ain't so... it seems the unwritten rule is that you need 3 generations of your family buried in the graveyard to be a "real" Texan
pretty funny stuff, if you don't have thin skin.

when I go to Colombia ( another homestead of mine) i'm treated rather well... there's no hiding i'm a gringo, but it's not that big of a deal...Mexicans aren't real welcome there, but gringos are cool... the stereotype that all gringos are rich helps some

my hometown is Las Vegas...few give a **** about race or ethnicity in Vegas... there's no money in it.... since the mid 60's Vegas was a pretty progressive town, as long as there's money in it.

mexican immigrants are all over Vegas... you hear the usual bull**** about immigration " they stealin' our jobs!"... but overall, it's not a bad environment for immigrants.. no open hostility like i got in San Fran as a white male Marine.

FWIW, i'm a white dude in Texas now.. and even though folks are very hospitable,almost to a fault, there is still a palpable separation between true Texans and "yankees".
despite explaining Nevada's role in the civil war time and time again ( we weren't even a state yet), i'm still a "yankee"... it seems the definition of "yankee" is " anyone who is not a Texan"
I hear far more ****talking about yankees than I do about anything else, including immigrants of any flavor.
I told one buddy that my oldest boy is a native Texan ( born in Austin) he still says it ain't so... it seems the unwritten rule is that you need 3 generations of your family buried in the graveyard to be a "real" Texan
pretty funny stuff, if you don't have thin skin.

when I go to Colombia ( another homestead of mine) i'm treated rather well... there's no hiding i'm a gringo, but it's not that big of a deal...Mexicans aren't real welcome there, but gringos are cool... the stereotype that all gringos are rich helps some

That all makes sense. I was, of course, basing the question on the assumption that you're actually from the south. The point that I was making is that I don't really think quite a lot of different types of immigrants would get much of a positive reception from southerners in the early '70s - and especially not immigrants from a country we were at war with at the time. I would hope that's less true now. Having said that, I've lived in SF for 6 years now, and not a day goes by that I don't hear at least three or four different foreign languages (most commonly Cantonese, Spanish, Farsi and Russian). National origin is entirely a non-issue here, and I'd be surprised if there's anywhere in the country (besides maybe New York) where that's more true.

That all makes sense. I was, of course, basing the question on the assumption that you're actually from the south. The point that I was making is that I don't really think quite a lot of different types of immigrants would get much of a positive reception from southerners in the early '70s - and especially not immigrants from a country we were at war with at the time. I would hope that's less true now. Having said that, I've lived in SF for 6 years now, and not a day goes by that I don't hear at least three or four different foreign languages (most commonly Cantonese, Spanish, Farsi and Russian). National origin is entirely a non-issue here, and I'd be surprised if there's anywhere in the country (besides maybe New York) where that's more true.

I don't doubt immigrants are welcome in San Fran..provided they aren't open conservatives :lol:

I live out in the sticks in central Texas.. about 40 miles northwest-ish of Austin... you'd think this would be solid white territory, but we have a lot of immigrants, Indians, Pakis, and lots and lots of Asians....
I'm pretty sure they gave driving tests to each Asian immigrant... those who were proficient went where they went, those who couldn't drive ,even with the help of mario andretti, well, they are all located within 10 miles of me :lol:

I don't doubt immigrants are welcome in San Fran..provided they aren't open conservatives :lol:

I live out in the sticks in central Texas.. about 40 miles northwest-ish of Austin... you'd think this would be solid white territory, but we have a lot of immigrants, Indians, Pakis, and lots and lots of Asians....
I'm pretty sure they gave driving tests to each Asian immigrant... those who were proficient went where they went, those who couldn't drive ,even with the help of mario andretti, well, they are all located within 10 miles of me :lol:

Hah. I can tell you that the ones who aren't in your neighborhood definitely ended up in mine. ;)

Yeah. Most Jews in the USA are Republicans.
Right.
That's not what I said.

It's the liberal media constantly blaming Israel for the problems in the Middle East. Israel constantly gets bombarded by real rockets, then when they fight back... guess who the media says the bad country is...

Not the countries launching rockets. No, they are the good guys. It's Israels fault...

That's not what I said.

It's the liberal media constantly blaming Israel for the problems in the Middle East. Israel constantly gets bombarded by real rockets, then when they fight back... guess who the media says the bad country is...

Not the countries launching rockets. No, they are the good guys. It's Israels fault...

'Liberal media'.
Good one. You're one of the biggest fish caught on the OP's troll, on a post-count and knee-jerk support basis.
Some bait is just impossible to resist, ain't it.

I would say that officially Israel is an ally, most people do not believe "official positions". So, popularly, Americans think that the country could **** itself for all they care.

Now, people in general tend to treat most anyone the same regardless... There isn't the same levels of racism as there once was.

That said, some people are just a&& holes in general so, it doesnt really matter what you are, pricks will be pricks, but I don't think people really hold much of a grudge generally...

Being Israeli seems to have left you with an inability to distinguish between the politics and the people. I despise your government's politics, but it really has no influence on my opinion of the people of Israel--just certain persons.

Doesn't help. Israel is the only country whose politics is despised . Do you also despise the politics of France ? NO ! that makes the french perfect and the israelis dirty and imperfect.

You've gotten some bad info. Certainly there are segments of the population that dislike Israel's political positions (I'm one of them) but most Americans don't give a **** one way or another about Israeli citizens. Hell I lived with a bunch of kids with dual Israeli/US citizenship when I was in college. It's not a big deal.

Disliking the government is just as bad. It makes me feel like a subhuman considering my government is the only one being criticized . Other countries aren't.

Doesn't help. Israel is the only country whose politics is despised . Do you also despise the politics of France ? NO ! that makes the french perfect and the israelis dirty and imperfect.

LOL, Israeli politics are the only politics in the world that are despised! That's rich!

You need to leave your little isolated country and go see the world, bro, because you have no idea what you're talking about. Most people hate politics, and that goes for all of it.

About 30 Americans have told you they don't hate Israel and that most of America is pro-Israel, yet you've made 5 threads about it now. I think you need to take a step back and reevaluate your position.

Disliking the government is just as bad. It makes me feel like a subhuman considering my government is the only one being criticized . Other countries aren't.

Every government in the world is criticized. I can't stand the direction of American politics right now and I hate my president.

Please. In case you have not noticed, a lot of places despise the politics of the US and the US also despises the politics of other places like Iran and North Korea. Feels to me like you just want to paint Israelis the victim of something they are not.

It's the liberal media constantly blaming Israel for the problems in the Middle East. .

Which liberal media would that be? Give some examples.

I can think of any number of authoritarian leftist websites that are closer to Nazi than they are liberal when the issue is Israel, there are countless antisemitic far left posters here who might be confused for liberal by those who do not understand the term, and the British leftist press savages them routinely, but I haven't seen any attack coming from the liberal media.

Please. In case you have not noticed, a lot of places despise the politics of the US and the US also despises the politics of other places like Iran and North Korea. Feels to me like you just want to paint Israelis the victim of something they are not.

Trust me i'm far from viewing Israel as victim especially the rightists . If you criticize other nations other than just Israel then there isn't any problem.

I just happen to be very apathetic to policies of countries other than mine . I just criticize my own government ang completely ignore other governments , even the american government.

About 30 Americans have told you they don't hate Israel and that most of America is pro-Israel, yet you've made 5 threads about it now. I think you need to take a step back and reevaluate your position.
Seems to me to be a 'false flag' operation - pretend to be Israeli and continuously irritate the board by acting obnoxious.

Simpleχity;1062171480 said:
Seems to me to be a 'false flag' operation - pretend to be Israeli and continuously irritate the board by acting obnoxious.

so what am I if not israeli ?

so what am I if not israeli ?

A denizen of the land of Poe?

You are certainly a night owl if Israeli, that's for sure, often posting in the wee hours of the night like you do. You started this post at 2:17 Israel time and were still posting away after 4.

Back
Top Bottom