• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Are Ghosts Real?

Windy said:
You have spoiled a good debate . Can you disprove that the Easter Bunny does not exist ?:confused:

Of course not, but the burden is on you to prove the existance of such a mythological entity.

kal-el said:
Of course not, but the burden is on you to prove the existance of such a mythological entity.

Not so if I believe it..... the burden is on you to prove me wrong :lol:

Windy said:

Hey, if you wanna believe in your "fairy stories", then who am I to stop you?

Windy said:

1. Believing is not proving it for other persons. Believe without evidence would be merely described as faith.

2. Everything that is accepted must be proven with evidence. Otherwise there are infinite numbers of statements:
- flying spaghetti monster
- pink unicorn
- purple elephant

... all behind perception.

Imagine I accuse you for murder. You fail to disprove it and get sentenced to death.

Windy said:
Up to now you have given an inteligent debate ,,dont spoil it kal-el :2razz:

Intelligent? Where?

A debate without evidence is like telling a fairy tale. Logical it doesn't work on adult people. Most ones who do believe it were brainwashed during their youth. Take religion as an example.

Last edited:
Windy said:
Sorry I dont believe in Science :lol:

But you are afraid to jump off a building I hope?
You do catch a ball when it's thrown?

Well, welcome to the scientific law of gravity.

If you put your hand in a boiling cup of water, it will hurt. That's physics, because there is higher adhesion in boiling water with executes a pressure on human skin.

Windy said:
I see your point but don't agree ..
I and many others I suppose, don't go around
thanking science for everything .
Indeed the people who invented everyday things
only did so out of need ..

Computers were not invented out of need, but out of interest. A computer is not needed for survival. Check out the Pyramid of Maslow. Man's physiological (survival) needs are only food, water, temperature, ...

A computer was not a necessity at the time it was invented. The person who invented could survive without it.

Windy said:
necessity is the mother of invention' not science .

Science forms investigation. Without science, we would not know gravity.

Almost every object you have, is based upon science. If a chair is built with legs, it's because of notion of gravity, due to science. A chair can't float in the air.

Windy said:
A good scientist would not disclaim anything without proof .

Claiming something without proof is a mistake. You did. I do not disclaim ghosts do exist, but if you claim they do, you claim something unsupported.

This way one could claim the flying spaghetti monster or a mother godess is behind perception.

Windy said:
Science like religion has done some wonderful things but the
nature of man is such, that much of what could have been
good ends up bad .

Science never does bad; it's the persons who use it. Science is but knowledge and hence, the one who uses it is responsible.

Science allows us the ability to survive and saves millions of lives.

We can save severe diseases (cancer, etc.)
We will be able to expand into space to save billions of people.
We have more comfort.
etc.

Windy said:
Some would argue that you do see ghost's without knowing it ..

Who? That person must be kidding.

If you see without knowing it, how do you know you see it without knowing it? That's a contradiction!

Windy said:
I dont thank science for this computer I thank the person who invented it .

The person who invented was a mathemathician, hence a SCIENTIST. THe first computers built were calculators with an arithmetic (calculations) and logical unit (true, false). The functioning was based upon math such as algebra and the like.

Without science that person would not have the knowledge to do it.

Last edited:
DonRicardo said:
But you are afraid to jump off a building I hope?
You do catch a ball when it's thrown?

Well, welcome to the scientific law of gravity.

If you put your hand in a boiling cup of water, it will hurt. That's physics, because there is higher adhesion in boiling water with executes a pressure on human skin.

Computers were not invented out of need, but out of interest. A computer is not needed for survival. Check out the Pyramid of Maslow. Man's physiological (survival) needs are only food, water, temperature, ...

A computer was not a necessity at the time it was invented. The person who invented could survive without it.

Science forms investigation. Without science, we would not know gravity.

Almost every object you have, is based upon science. If a chair is built with legs, it's because of notion of gravity, due to science. A chair can't float in the air.

Claiming something without proof is a mistake. You did. I do not disclaim ghosts do exist, but if you claim they do, you claim something unsupported.

This way one could claim the flying spaghetti monster or a mother godess is behind perception.

Science never does bad; it's the persons who use it. Science is but knowledge and hence, the one who uses it is responsible.

Science allows us the ability to survive and saves millions of lives.

We can save severe diseases (cancer, etc.)
We will be able to expand into space to save billions of people.
We have more comfort.
etc.

Who? That person must be kidding.

If you see without knowing it, how do you know you see it without knowing it? That's a contradiction!

The person who invented was a mathemathician, hence a SCIENTIST. THe first computers built were calculators with an arithmetic (calculations) and logical unit (true, false). The functioning was based upon math such as algebra and the like.

Without science that person would not have the knowledge to do it.

Your arguments are well structured , but of no value to the discusion as you were not party no the debate which we were having .
As you obviously did not see my other posts you cannot have seen the points I was trying to make .
kal=el and I has been debating different points on different threads which I cannot even remember now, so it cannot have been important . Alot of my comments i.e ''I don't believe in science'' were used to show that anybody can use any argument to be argumentative without good reason .
I was also making the point that no-one has the right to question anyone else's beliefs about anything .When I question other people's belief in science look at the reaction .:rofl

rees said:
so are Ghosts Real?maybe those ghosts who can interact on our plane..moving objects around, slamming doors, the ability to somewhat materialize transparently..etc, is a rare ability, and coincidently that such rare abilities happen to be ghosts that are Nightlovers and just hate the day time to move objects around...:confused:
I'm a scientist... the word 'believe' is not in my vocabulary. There are three options.... Things either exist, they don't exist, or whether or not they they exist is indeterminate, perhaps because it's they are predicted they exist but have not yet been detected.

My experience when converting an old house to flats 15 years ago, leads me to conclude there is overwhelming evidence that ghosts do exist.
Things were moved around or dissapeared. An unwelcoming cold atmosphere was sensed by two people working there. On two occasions they saw & sensed the figure of a man on the upstairs landing out of the corner of their eyes. That sent the hairs on their arms stood on end. On one occasion a workman sensed someone rushing past behind him on the narrow corridor off the landing & a lamp & step ladder behind him flew over sideways.
All this happened in daylight hours.

Some months later I saw on a TV programme called 'Hollywood ghost stories', if you go into an old house where someone has lived for years then died, it can trigger off a reaction when you start changing things around. I couldn't believe it was as if they were describing exactly what happened to us :shock:

Also in my cousin's old house, there was sometimes a very bad evil presence at the top of the stairs. It spooked three people on three separate occasions & it only came to light years later when they happened to meet, so they experienced it independently & not by suggestion so that would suggest it was real & not purely subjective.

The 1st person said they would rather confront ten men with knifes in a blacked out room that try & confront whatever it was there.

The 2nd person said it gave them the feeling they would lose themselves for eternity if they confronted it.

The 3rd person just stood there & prayed & prayed.

All of these people are totally rational intelligent people I've known for years & I've heard too many other similiar stories from rational people to dismiss the existence of ghosts.
Incidently these entities often seem to hang around on stairways & landings... very weird & utterly fascinating & maybe it's evidence for an afterlife... I guess we'll all find out one day.
Sometimes because it's so unbelievable, the truth escapes becoming known.

Last edited:
Being an "avid ghost hunter"...oh man...well, thanks for the use of the word "avid". I don't want to waste my time talking to any amateurs in here. So, you have seen many ghosts in your life huh? So, lucky...you see many and I see none. Maybe if I close my eyes and click my heels three times, one will finally show itself to me.

Here goes....

getinvolved said:
Being an "avid ghost hunter"...oh man...well, thanks for the use of the word "avid". I don't want to waste my time talking to any amateurs in here. So, you have seen many ghosts in your life huh? So, lucky...you see many and I see none. Maybe if I close my eyes and click my heels three times, one will finally show itself to me.

Here goes....

Sounds like you should be with the fairy's :rofl :tink:

Back
Top Bottom