• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are gender pay equality laws successful if women's pay doesn't increase?

Are gender pay equality laws successful if women's pay doesn't increase?

• Should be considered desirable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Should be considered undesirable

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
What if equality is achieved solely by men's pay being decreased? Would that be a desirable result?

I ask this question because pay equality requirements combined with shareholder pressure to keep wages down with less regard to getting the best employees appear likely to lead to this result in some companies.

Last edited:
What if equality is achieved solely by men's pay being decreased? Would that be a desirable result?

I ask this question because pay equality requirements combined with shareholder pressure to keep wages down with less regard to getting the best employees appear likely to lead to this result in some companies.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding the question, but I feel it is a rather unnecessary discussion, as the wage gap is patently false. Women with the same levels of experience as their male counterparts are not paid less for the same type and quality of work.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding the question, but I feel it is a rather unnecessary discussion, as the wage gap is patently false. Women with the same levels of experience as their male counterparts are not paid less for the same type and quality of work.

It's absolutely plausible that the wage gap could be false. I'm undecided on that premise. However "pay equity" laws certainly do exist in some states.

It's absolutely plausible that the wage gap could be false. I'm undecided on that premise. However "pay equity" laws certainly do exist in some states.

The wage gap is born out of very unsophisticated economics. To reach the wage gap conclusion, you must take all the money that men earn and all the money that women earn, add them together respectfully, and perform some simple division. This doesn't account for the fact that women make different choices than men. Women are more likely to go into fields that pay less than the fields men are more likely to enter, many women take time out of the work force to have children, women tend to work less dangerous jobs, women tend to work less hours than men (on average), as well as taking more and longer vacations (on average.) In short, men and women invest in their human capital differently. When you look at men and women working in the same field, with the same level of experience, the same education, etc. the wage gap evaporates. This video explains it pretty well, just ignore the bits at the end about women being guided away from subjects like engineering, as that is as true as the wage gap, women who go into such fields are lauded by feminists and progressives. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWIZeNr2rtU

The wage gap is born out of very unsophisticated economics. To reach the wage gap conclusion, you must take all the money that men earn and all the money that women earn, add them together respectfully, and perform some simple division. This doesn't account for the fact that women make different choices than men. Women are more likely to go into fields that pay less than the fields men are more likely to enter, many women take time out of the work force to have children, women tend to work less dangerous jobs, women tend to work less hours than men (on average), as well as taking more and longer vacations (on average.) In short, men and women invest in their human capital differently. When you look at men and women working in the same field, with the same level of experience, the same education, etc. the wage gap evaporates. This video explains it pretty well, just ignore the bits at the end about women being guided away from subjects like engineering, as that is as true as the wage gap, women who go into such fields are lauded by feminists and progressives. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWIZeNr2rtU

"On the ground", I have observed a wage gap as I have mentioned in other posts. This wage gap manifests itself as pressure on me to work for less.

Gender pay equality laws are best if they don't work. Men and women should not be paid the same, nor indeed should there be women in the workplace to begin with.

"On the ground", I have observed a wage gap as I have mentioned in other posts. This wage gap manifests itself as pressure on me to work for less.

This is probably an example of government interference gone wrong. Pretty much any government interference in the market ends poorly, and generally ends up hurting the consumer, and/or the employees. That goes for equal pay laws, minimum wage, and the rest of it. Let the market sort itself out, and things would be just fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom