• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are Doc Rich & Thomas Sowell right about slavery & reparations?

Are Doc Rich & Thomas Sowell right?

• Total voters
Doc Rich, Trevor Noah, and Thomas Sowell on slavery & reparations:

Leaving readers only the option of watching a video of your choice in order to participate in your poll seems discourteous
to readers.

Especially so while "featuring" someone as controversial and inflammatory as Thomas Sowell.

September 8, 2020
"President Trump has claimed that his Democratic rival for the presidency, Joe Biden, supports the idea of defunding the police."

_114238486_biden_quotecard.png

"..
In 2020, Sowell wrote that if the Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden won the 2020 presidential election, it could signal a point of no return for the United States, a tipping point akin to the fall of the Roman Empire. In an interview in July 2020, he stated that "the Roman Empire overcame many problems in its long history but eventually it reached a point where it could no longer continue, and much of that was from within, not just the barbarians attacking from outside." Sowell wrote that if Biden became president, the Democratic Party would have an enormous amount of control over the nation, and if this happened, they could twin with the "radical left" and ideas such as defunding the police could come to fruition.[43][53]

Donald Trump​

During the Republican primary of the 2016 presidential election, Sowell criticized Donald Trump, questioning whether Trump had "any principles at all, other than promoting Donald Trump?"[54] Two weeks before the 2016 presidential election, Sowell urged voters to vote for Trump over Hillary Clinton. In 2018, when asked on his thoughts of Trump's presidency, Sowell replied, "I think he's better than the previous president."[55]

In interviews in 2019, Sowell defended Trump against charges of racism.[56][57] "

At the very least, please state your case for posting the video and for creating this poll thread.

Last edited:
Leaving readers only the option of watching a video of your choice in order to participate in your poll seems discourteous
to readers.

Especially so while "featuring" someone as controversial and inflammatory as Thomas Sowell.

"..
In 2020, Sowell wrote that if the Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden won the 2020 presidential election, it could signal a point of no return for the United States, a tipping point akin to the fall of the Roman Empire. In an interview in July 2020, he stated that "the Roman Empire overcame many problems in its long history but eventually it reached a point where it could no longer continue, and much of that was from within, not just the barbarians attacking from outside." Sowell wrote that if Biden became president, the Democratic Party would have an enormous amount of control over the nation, and if this happened, they could twin with the "radical left" and ideas such as defunding the police could come to fruition.[43][53]

Donald Trump[edit]​

During the Republican primary of the 2016 presidential election, Sowell criticized Donald Trump, questioning whether Trump had "any principles at all, other than promoting Donald Trump?"[54] Two weeks before the 2016 presidential election, Sowell urged voters to vote for Trump over Hillary Clinton. In 2018, when asked on his thoughts of Trump's presidency, Sowell replied, "I think he's better than the previous president."[55]

In interviews in 2019, Sowell defended Trump against charges of racism.[56][57] "

At the very least, please state your case for posting the video and for creating this poll thread.
Sowell nails it in both of those excerpts. Brilliant man.....

to readers.

Especially so while "featuring" someone as controversial and inflammatory as Thomas Sowell. . . .
Thomas Sowell is a highly respected economist, historian and social theorist - his integrity is impeccable.

Controversial? Perhaps. People who speak the truth often are.

Inflammatory? No. That was off-base.

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Thomas Sowell is a highly respected economist, historian and social theorist - his integrity is impeccable.

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell
ok

Okay. I watched about six minutes of this video.

1. I wish they had just shown the Doc Rich/Thomas Sowell discussion and kept Trevor Noah out of it. Who gives a rat's ass what a late night comedian thinks?

2. Sowell hadn't really gotten to the meat of his viewpoint by the time I stopped watching, but I imagine he presented some concise reasoning for his position.

Me? Reparations? No. Nobody alive today has suffered from the slavery in our country before the Civil War. Nobody. So nobody alive today deserves any reparations.

Second time, pointing this out,
"In 2018, when asked on his thoughts of Trump's presidency, Sowell replied, "I think he's better than the previous president."[55] .."

Worst POTUS performance in 150 years,

July 4, 2021
51858061177_cd264d8aab_c.jpg

Okay. I watched about six minutes of this video.

1. I wish they had just shown the Doc Rich/Thomas Sowell discussion and kept Trevor Noah out of it. Who gives a rat's ass what a late night comedian thinks?

2. Sowell hadn't really gotten to the meat of his viewpoint by the time I stopped watching, but I imagine he presented some concise reasoning for his position.

Me? Reparations? No. Nobody alive today has suffered from the slavery in our country before the Civil War. Nobody. So nobody alive today deserves any reparations.

$8: The Complicated Story Behind One Of The Most ...

https://www.wbur.org › news › 2021/07/08 › greater-b...
Jul 8, 2021 — A 2015 study found the median net worth for white households in Greater Boston was a quarter million dollars. For Black families, it was ...

That was no typo: The median net worth of black Bostonians ...

https://www.bostonglobe.com › metro › 2017/12/11 › story
Dec 11, 2017 — The median net worth for non-immigrant African-American households in the Greater Boston region is $8, according to “The Color of Wealth in ...

The extreme right has every right to "go by different rules". Just ask them, they're permanent victims and the 2020 presidential election was stolen. Trump's own, 49 year self-portrayal of a victim grants him and his supporters a permanent claim of immunity from facts supported accusations of dishonesty and criminality.

FBI Released Report From Trump's Housing Discrimination ...

https://www.businessinsider.com › Politics
Feb 15, 2017 — A civil-rights lawsuit brought by the Justice Department against Donald Trump and his father Fred Trump in 1973 claimed that African-Americans ...

Link to cached page of January 23, 2016 article,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/inside-the-governments-racial-bias-case-against-donald-trumps-company-and-how-he-fought-it/2016/01/23/fb90163e-bfbe-11e5-bcda-62a36b394160_story.html
Inside the government’s racial bias case against Donald Trump’s company, and how he fought it
"..The Trumps retained Roy Cohn, ... Cohn portrayed the Trumps as the victims and counter-sued the government, demanding it pay them $100 million for falsely accusing them of discrimination."

January 14, 2021
"...But on Thursday, Politico turned the newsletter over to Shapiro, who used the space for a column making the case that the House Republicans who voted against impeaching Trump—despite his repeated lies about the 2020 election and his stoking of rioters who stormed the Capitol in his name last week—are right to feel aggrieved.

“If you supported Trump in any way, you were at least partially culpable, the argument goes. It’s not just Trump who deserves vitriol—it’s all 74 million people who voted for him,” Shapiro wrote, further claiming, “Opposition to impeachment comes from a deep and abiding conservative belief that members of the opposing political tribe want their destruction, not simply to punish Trump for his behavior.”

Shapiro’s guest appearance was not particularly well-received..."

Sowell nails it in both of those excerpts. Brilliant man.....
Agreed.

At the end of the video: (@ 19:46)

Q: "How do you make something of yourself as an African-American in America? "

Sowell: "You equip yourself with skills that people are willing to pay for."

The truth. People on the left become FURIOUS when they hear it.

More important is why some people get so easily offended over the mere mention of reparations.

I’m not about to watch some lengthy (opinion) video. My position on (race or slavery based?) reparations is that I have for any class action lawsuit.

Step one is to define the members of the (alleged) victim and (alleged) perp classes then (and only then) proceed to prove (by a preponderance of the evidence presented) which side should prevail.

Only after that point should any discussion of compensatory, general and/or punitive damages be undertaken.

Slaves were promised reparations at the end of the Civil War. 40 acres & a mule. The U.S. is good at breaking treaties.

I’m not about to watch some lengthy (opinion) video. My position on (race or slavery based?) reparations is that I have for any class action lawsuit.

Step one is to define the members of the (alleged) victim and (alleged) perp classes then (and only then) proceed to prove (by a preponderance of the evidence presented) which side should prevail.

Only after that point should any discussion of compensatory, general and/or punitive damages be undertaken.
America was part of England during the bulk of the importation and sale of slaves. Should England be liable for reparations too in your class action? Should the tribes of Africa who raided villages and delivered slaves to waiting merchant ships be held liable for those first atrocities?
I have not ever researched how or why my ancestors came to America. I am grateful that they all did. All Americans should be likewise. Going back to your ancestral home is an option.

America was part of England during the bulk of the importation and sale of slaves. Should England be liable for reparations too in your class action? Should the tribes of Africa who raided villages and delivered slaves to waiting merchant ships be held liable for those first atrocities?
I have not ever researched how or why my ancestors came to America. I am grateful that they all did. All Americans should be likewise. Going back to your ancestral home is an option.

Ah yes, the old “you should be thankful for slavery” load of crap. It always takes a lot of historical ignorance to come out with that one 🙄

No, you should be thankful to be an American.

Claiming people should be “thankful” for the systematic oppression of their ancestors over centuries— which only ended(for the most part) in relatively recent memory— because hey, at least you got to live in America— is really, really ignorant.

Amazing video - thanks for sharing.

I am always amazed listening to Thomas Sowell - his wisdom, intelligence, knowledge and ability to articulate very difficult subjects with seeming ease. I've read one of his books (on Economics) and have several more to get into, and can't wait.

Claiming people should be “thankful” for the systematic oppression of their ancestors over centuries— which only ended(for the most part) in relatively recent memory— because hey, at least you got to live in America— is really, really ignorant.
No, thinking that was a unique experience in human history is ignorant.
Not to live in America but to be an American. You as an American can pretty much live anywhere you desire.

Slaves were promised reparations at the end of the Civil War. 40 acres & a mule. The U.S. is good at breaking treaties.

Treaties must be ‘ratified’ by the US Senate. This (spoils of war?) order and its later repeal were executive actions.

BTW, do you really support the idea of putting freed slaves on racially segregated plots of land?

Last edited:

$8: The Complicated Story Behind One Of The Most ...

https://www.wbur.org › news › 2021/07/08 › greater-b...
Jul 8, 2021 — A 2015 study found the median net worth for white households in Greater Boston was a quarter million dollars. For Black families, it was ...

That was no typo: The median net worth of black Bostonians ...

https://www.bostonglobe.com › metro › 2017/12/11 › story
Dec 11, 2017 — The median net worth for non-immigrant African-American households in the Greater Boston region is $8, according to “The Color of Wealth in ...

The extreme right has every right to "go by different rules". Just ask them, they're permanent victims and the 2020 presidential election was stolen. Trump's own, 49 year self-portrayal of a victim grants him and his supporters a permanent claim of immunity from facts supported accusations of dishonesty and criminality.

FBI Released Report From Trump's Housing Discrimination ...

https://www.businessinsider.com › Politics
Feb 15, 2017 — A civil-rights lawsuit brought by the Justice Department against Donald Trump and his father Fred Trump in 1973 claimed that African-Americans ...

Link to cached page of January 23, 2016 article,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/inside-the-governments-racial-bias-case-against-donald-trumps-company-and-how-he-fought-it/2016/01/23/fb90163e-bfbe-11e5-bcda-62a36b394160_story.html
Inside the government’s racial bias case against Donald Trump’s company, and how he fought it
"..The Trumps retained Roy Cohn, ... Cohn portrayed the Trumps as the victims and counter-sued the government, demanding it pay them $100 million for falsely accusing them of discrimination."

January 14, 2021
"...But on Thursday, Politico turned the newsletter over to Shapiro, who used the space for a column making the case that the House Republicans who voted against impeaching Trump—despite his repeated lies about the 2020 election and his stoking of rioters who stormed the Capitol in his name last week—are right to feel aggrieved.

“If you supported Trump in any way, you were at least partially culpable, the argument goes. It’s not just Trump who deserves vitriol—it’s all 74 million people who voted for him,” Shapiro wrote, further claiming, “Opposition to impeachment comes from a deep and abiding conservative belief that members of the opposing political tribe want their destruction, not simply to punish Trump for his behavior.”

Shapiro’s guest appearance was not particularly well-received..."
What does all this have to do with slavery reparations?

Sowell rationalizing slavery in this country by claiming that it happened elsewhere reminds me of my students who, when I ask them to stop talking in class, rationalize it by saying others are talking too. It's just not a rational argument. Try telling a cop giving you a speeding ticket that everyone else is speeding too and see what it gets you. Dude, guess what? You're still guilty.

Sowell said it would have been nice if Coate's article provided evidence to support his claim. This shows clearly that he hasn't read it.

And, of course, it goes beyond slavery. As Coates writes. There's a 100 years or more of Jim Crow, suburbanization and red lining, the economic consequences of which we are still living with.

Back
Top Bottom