• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are Diamond Rings a Foolish Idea in Relationships / Marriage?

Are Diamond Rings a Foolish Idea in Relationships / Marriage?

• NO! Its a Life-Long symbol of marriage and she should get the biggest ring I can afford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO! Its a Life-Long symbol of marriage and I got another stone instead of a diamond

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I was engaged. Once.
I had the hall booked. She had the dress. I bought BOTH of those stupid rings. Engagement ring...... $3200 and then found out that I need a wedding ring too!!! :shock: What the hell man!
A ring on the finger is supposed to be a SYMBOL.... not something to toss away thousands of dollars. Get a gold ring thats $200 or something. Take the rest of that money and save it! Invest it. Spend it on something useful!

-----------------------------
Hey! I just emptied a total of $4000 on something!
You did? What?
A shiny band you put on a finger with a clear glass-looking thing on top.
What does it do?
Not a ****ing thing. It just sits there. In fact it can be used as a weapon against you!
My GOD man!!! :shock: Who thought of this???
Some marketing A-holes that wanted to make money by making men feel guilty.

Nope. Marriage is a ritualized form of prostitution. You don't want to pay the big bucks? You'll be soooorrrryy!

What drives me crazy is how women typically hope to get a diamond ring with the biggest diamond possible while men expect a bland metal ring. A bit disproportionate IMO.

Waste of money. If a guy bought me a big diamond ring, I'd know then and there he didn't know jack ****ing **** about me. Diamonds are boring. And a huge ring is a waste of ****ing money that could be so much better spent something else, like maybe on a honeymoon. Unless the guy was filthy rich, I'd never accept an expensive ring. If I actually wanted to marry someone a ring is entirely unnecessary. But if we did want rings, then they would be simple and lacking any boring diamonds.

This is very similar to the wedding bands *I* bought myself and my fiance when I was engaged years ago:

image.img

Last edited:
What drives me crazy is how women typically hope to get a diamond ring with the biggest diamond possible while men expect a bland metal ring. A bit disproportionate IMO.

My husband has a silver band with 20 diamonds in it. :shrug:

Everyone different.

I would have been satisfied with a solid band, though - we're so backwards in so many ways :rofl

If a man wants to buy a ring and propose he *should* get to know what his partner will be pleased with. A man should *know* what his partner likes *before* buying something that's so - permanent. If you have no clue what your partner will be pleased with then perhaps you should get to know your partner's tastes a little better before buying a ring/proposing - this can be done with an upfront question about certain things, or by window shopping and just noticing what your partner looks at while in the store.

I couldn't agree with this more strongly. My wife and I went ring shopping together before I proposed to her so I could get an idea what she liked. I had the ring designed and crafted on my own, but I knew what she wanted.

Speaking from expereince? :)
They're not inherently foolish, but as noted above, a simple gold band does the trick

Nah, my girl didn't care about the type of ring I got her. That's why she was worth it. :)

Waste of money. If a guy bought me a big diamond ring, I'd know then and there he didn't know jack ****ing **** about me. Diamonds are boring. And a huge ring is a waste of ****ing money that could be so much better spent something else, like maybe on a honeymoon. Unless the guy was filthy rich, I'd never accept an expensive ring. If I actually wanted to marry someone a ring is entirely unnecessary. But if we did want rings, then they would be simple and lacking any boring diamonds.

This is very similar to the wedding bands *I* bought myself and my fiance when I was engaged years ago:

image.img

These are like the kinds of rings I'd like to get. They are still nice and they don't have rocks in them who's market is monopolized.

I just think it's a waste, period. Just like class rings. I wore my grandmother's 25th wedding anniversary set, and now my daughter has it. Family heirlooms are the way to go if they exist. If I had it to do over again (and I won't) - I'd go with matched claddagh rings.

I've been with my wife for 10+ years, I bought her a $150(?) engagement ring and we never got wedding rings.

Never had a bad effect on our marriage.
Plus I hate wearing jewelry, it makes me feel so pretentious.

Last edited:
Diamonds are the Devil's playthings. If I'm going to support oppression and war crimes, I'd better be getting something worthwhile out of the deal.

A simple gold band symbolizes continuity and wholeness. Breaking up the design loses that symbolism, in my opinion. The engagement ring, of course, is an entirely different story.

Diamonds are the Devil's playthings. If I'm going to support oppression and war crimes, I'd better be getting something worthwhile out of the deal.

A simple gold band symbolizes continuity and wholeness. Breaking up the design loses that symbolism, in my opinion. The engagement ring, of course, is an entirely different story.

Interesting that people still cling to the thought that every diamond comes from the blood-diamond arena.
Or that every fleck of gold or silver is free from equal hostility and shaky ground.

Gold and silver have caused just as much of a problem as the underground diamond business.

Heh.
:3oops:

Diamond rings for weddings is a concept that is largely dominated in the West. No married person I know have a diamond ring, it's useless and the same money can be spent elsewhere on something more useful.

it's only a waste of money if the 2 people involved think it's a waste of money.

What I hear a lot, though, is that the woman wants it - an the many rolls his eyes but goes along as best as he can afford. :shrug:

But on the other had I've also heard a lot of women with my view - don't like it, don't want it, but it was given anyway.

What I hear a lot, though, is that the woman wants it - an the many rolls his eyes but goes along as best as he can afford. :shrug:

But on the other had I've also heard a lot of women with my view - don't like it, don't want it, but it was given anyway.

when i got married, we couldn't afford a diamond, and neither of us wanted to go in debt for one. my husband gave me a simple one on our 10th anniversary, and i bawled like a baby. it's always the thought, not the ring, and if it's the ring, watch out. as a side note, he's given me much more expensive jewelry since, but none meant as much.

Interesting that people still cling to the thought that every diamond comes from the blood-diamond arena.

Who's talking about blood diamonds? I'm talking about the deBeers corporation and the colonization of Africa.

Diamond rings for weddings is a concept that is largely dominated in the West. No married person I know have a diamond ring, it's useless and the same money can be spent elsewhere on something more useful.

Indeed. For instance, in India it's traditional for married women to wear toe rings to signify their marital status. I like that tradition better than some gaudy, boring diamond on the hand.

I work in inner city neighborhoods, so having a big flashy anything would be stupid. And, I don't support the environmental and social damage caused by the diamond industry. I've already told the boyfriend (who is Irish) that I'd be perfectly happy with a claddagh:

08QG0571W_02_lps.jpg

For that matter, I'd be okay with having an antique gold ring, as well.

molten dragon said:
I couldn't agree with this more strongly. My wife and I went ring shopping together before I proposed to her so I could get an idea what she liked. I had the ring designed and crafted on my own, but I knew what she wanted.

Asking a woman in detail what kind of engagement ring she wants is like telling someone to come home to their surprise birthday party.

Maybe it's just me, but I would kind of imagine that if you take the initial shock away from seeing a guy open a box and get on one knee, it's a much more mundane moment.

All the Kay and Jared commercials I've seen involve the elated, unaware smile on a woman's face when she realizes the man she loves makes a commitment with a diamond. I have yet to see a commercial where the woman is presented a ring and just smiles with the knowledge and satisfaction that the man custom-made her detailed order like a Whopper at Burger King.

I work in inner city neighborhoods, so having a big flashy anything would be stupid. And, I don't support the environmental and social damage caused by the diamond industry. I've already told the boyfriend (who is Irish) that I'd be perfectly happy with a claddagh

I just think those rings are the coolest thing on the planet, and I miss mine. I shall have to buy myself another at some point in the not-too-distant future.

I work in inner city neighborhoods, so having a big flashy anything would be stupid. And, I don't support the environmental and social damage caused by the diamond industry. I've already told the boyfriend (who is Irish) that I'd be perfectly happy with a claddagh:

08QG0571W_02_lps.jpg

I've always wondered about that symbol (2 hands - heart w/ crown) is that representative of a country?

08QG0571W_02_lps.jpg

Im not Irish. :unsure13:

If you are marrying each other for a greater purpose than just fame and money, then it shouldnt' matter..but if ur marrying someone who's a gold digger...

well, good luck.

All the Kay and Jared commercials I've seen involve the elated, unaware smile on a woman's face when she realizes the man she loves makes a commitment with a diamond. I have yet to see a commercial where the woman is presented a ring and just smiles with the knowledge and satisfaction that the man custom-made her detailed order like a Whopper at Burger King.

Those commercials are designed to sell you a very expensive luxury product with no utilitarian purpose. They're portraying a fantasy.

Back
Top Bottom