• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are conspiracy theorists all idiots or mentally unstable?

Are conspiracy theorists all idiots or mentally unstable?

• Yes, of course they are

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • No, they are the paragon of mental health

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Let me consult my tin-foil hat before I answer

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
Your poll is like asking, "have you quit beating your wife, yes or no!" Either way you come out as a wife beater.

For the most part I don't buy into the theories. Some do ask interesting questions which may cause me to look at why they think the way they on the issue. Each is entitled to their opinion.

How about just bored?

Life may just be too boring for them, so they create excitement through elaborate conspiracies that they, themselves, can participate in. Some are mentally unstable. Some are just easily confused. I think the reason for each is specific to the individual's situation.

It's not an issue of 'boredom', its' not an issue of being mentally unstable (generally speaking, though there are some schizophrenics that are attracted to the issue of conspiracies for some reason). It's NOT an issue of 'feeling important' or having 'special knowledge'...

It's a different matter altogether.

I mean; take Rockefellers book memoirs where this guy CONFESSES to a conspiracy, descibes the 'theory' and then concludes with "if this is the charge, I stand guilty and PROUD of it." I can't take this sort of open confession and attribute it some OTHER meaning then what is being plainly stated.

It's much easier to believe that others are responsible for your situation in life than to take responsibility for it yourself. This is especially pronounced among people who believe conspiracy theories.

It's much easier to believe that others are responsible for your situation in life than to take responsibility for it yourself. This is especially pronounced among people who believe conspiracy theories.

It is also easier to believe that things are happening because of some major conspiracy, and not just random chance.

How about just bored?

Life may just be too boring for them, so they create excitement through elaborate conspiracies that they, themselves, can participate in. Some are mentally unstable. Some are just easily confused. I think the reason for each is specific to the individual's situation.

I believe you hit the nail on the head.

There are real conspiracies in the world that should be identified and questions should be asked. There are dozens of crimes all around the country that have not been solved and whose victims are still awaiting Justice. I recently read Helter Skelter to where it was identified that Van Houten's attorney, Ronald Hughes, was found dead while camping. The case remains unsolved.

Now if the Internet had been around at the time of the Manson Family murders and trials; there would be 50 gazillion posts about who killed Hughes and of course Manson would be the Willie Rodriguez of the truther community. We can all see that.

Anyway, there are cases like Hughes all over the country; I know of three in my local city. Why are they dedicated to 9/11 and not legitimately unsolved crimes where the Police, the Justice System, the Public, and The Victim's families are all at a loss to explain it? Because they want attention; plain and simple. If I started a thread about Hughes right here, nobody would respond because it is such a miniscule case in terms of public opinion. So they pick this case and harp on it time and again.

Look at one of the other threads--Mark Penn who has no ties to the Obama Presidency and was even referred to a psychiatrist by a prominent Democrat (I'll reveal who at the bottom of this passage) is plucked up during a Congressional recess to lend some sort of expertise and he makes a statement about OKC and of course, the whacky community of truthers amplify that to some sort of foretelling of a terrorist attack. It's a simple case of a person who can't get attention in the real world trying to do so in the virtual world. I imagine they have a sizable facebook presence and a blackbook that is pretty much empty except for relatives.

By the way...the prominent Democrat who said that Mark Penn should seek psychiatric help was Hillary Clinton; WHOSE CAMPAIGN FOR PRESIDENT MARK PENN MANAGED!!!

I imagine in the grand pantheon of political intrigue there has been at least one conspiracy theory that was true - but whatever that theory was, it must be very lonely there. Conspiracy theories are the currency of the weak-minded - typically bandied about by those that wear velcro-shoes.

I imagine in the grand pantheon of political intrigue there has been at least one conspiracy theory that was true - but whatever that theory was, it must be very lonely there. Conspiracy theories are the currency of the weak-minded - typically bandied about by those that wear velcro-shoes.

I imagine in the grand pantheon of political intrigue there has been at least one hyper-partisan hack that was right -- but whoever it was, they must've been lonely. Hyper-partisanship is the currency of the weak-minded, typically bandied about by those that wear secretly wear tightie-whities with network and party logos printed on them.

I imagine in the grand pantheon of political intrigue there has been at least one hyper-partisan hack that was right -- but whoever it was, they must've been lonely. Hyper-partisanship is the currency of the weak-minded, typically bandied about by those that wear secretly wear tightie-whities with network and party logos printed on them.

Weak and dumb.

I have to tell you, that is far and away the most eloquent refutation of anything I've ever written on this forum.

Thank you for gracing me with your razor wit.

Hooray, you've reduced this conversation to the level of a LOL Cat thought.

Suddenly, dufus.

insp_captkirk_5_.jpg

Hooray, you've reduced this conversation to the level of Pee Wee's Playhouse! :lol:

Hmmmmm.

Considering the subject matter, I figured that was its ceiling.

It is disingenuous to talk about "conspiracy theorists" as though it was all one big group. People who read all of David Icke's book are different from people that like to listen in on Alex Jones. Those same people are different from others who watch conspiracy specials on the History Channel.

Lumping them all into one big group is absurd. The fact is conspiracies have helped shape our history and anyone who tries to diminish them as a factor is doing a disservice to all free-thinking individuals.

Humans by their very nature seek to control their environment and form groups to do this. All throughout history you will find examples of powerful people coming together in the hopes of controlling a city, a country, or the entire world. Does anyone honestly think the Bilderberg Group is without meaning or purpose? Powerful people in government, business, and academia coming together to discuss issues in the world always has meaning and purpose. Naturally such meetings will usually lead to some sort of action.

I doubt anyone honestly believes that there are no dirty secrets among the powerful. Nor do I doubt anyone honestly believes the elite never commit criminal actions. Chalking it all up to coincidence is simply ridiculous.

Any trailer park in Mississippi has more crime in a week than the "powerful" or "elite" commit in decades.

some interesting perspectives on conspiracy theorists... enjoy.

A conspiracy theorist's attempts to project it's fiction onto real-life people, groups and organizations. It purports to actually be true that which really is fiction and this is the problem. Their attempt to project into reality that which at best is fiction is one reason I believe they have a mental illness.

One person who is a conspiracy theorist says he gives an "accurate account of history." The problem is that in his paranoid imagination he believes he is right. Again, it does not matter if you show him to be totally wrong, because to him you then become part of the conspiracy. In short they have lost all touch with reality.

He and other conspiracy theorists change their so called evidence in response to each part of the conspiracy that is debunked. As soon as one delusion is unmasked, they simply invent another to replace it, and deny the first ever exsisted. Theorists aften argue that those who debunk such information are themselves involved in the conspiracy.

If some new information appears to undermine a conspiracy theory, either the plot is changed to make it consistent with the new information, or the theorist questions the legitimacy of the new information. This is something one can see over and over again in their comments.

They spend countless hours looking for things to support their theory. The sad thing is that when they find information that shows them wrong they simply bypass it and find people [and sources] to support their theory. They have the Idea that the greater the lie the more easily it is swallowed by the likeminded people.

some interesting perspectives on conspiracy theorists... enjoy.

There is nothing interesting about that. It is the typical "conspiracy theorists are all loons" garbage people toss around here all the time. How about you respond to what I said?

Back
Top Bottom