• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are Conservatives Uneducated?

Are Conservatives Uneducated?

• Total voters
I cannot believe that so many seemingly smart individuals can look at the President's accomplishments and write he is doing nothing.
He's doing a few things, but they're mostly harming this nation rather than benefiting it.

I read even from the opposition that he is dividing the nation, is fomenting racism, and worse.
Did you even see or read his comments after last year's violence in Charlottesville?

In less than two years, He has passed a tax cut, boosted our military, appointed several federal judges, taken on the inequality in the trade world, and the list goes on.
He didn't pass the tax cut, Congress did. And as usual, most of us won't see any of it. And his idea of "taking on trade inequality," as you put it, results in nothing but higher prices. Nobody wins a tariff war, despite what he thinks.

He's doing a few things, but they're mostly harming this nation rather than benefiting it.

?

He didn't pass the tax cut, Congress did. And as usual, most of us won't see any of it. And his idea of "taking on trade inequality," as you put it, results in nothing but higher prices. Nobody wins a tariff war, despite what he thinks.

Did you even see or read his comments after last year's violence in Charlottesville Yes, I did. It is my belief his intention was to say that there were good people on both sides. That is what he said. That has morphed into him being a racist. Do you think there were good people(and bad) on both sides?
Regards,
CP

Did you even see or read his comments after last year's violence in Charlottesville Yes, I did. It is my belief his intention was to say that there were good people on both sides. That is what he said. That has morphed into him being a racist. Do you think there were good people(and bad) on both sides?
Regards,
CP

At the moment I don't believe that there were good people on both sides; however, I'd be very interested to hear what makes you think that white supremacists can be considered good people.

At the moment I don't believe that there were good people on both sides; however, I'd be very interested to hear what makes you think that white supremacists can be considered good people.

It depends on who specifically you are talking about. I do not believe that everyone who wishes to preserve Confederate Monuments is a white supremacist, and I think that there are perfectly legitimate and rational reasons for wanting to preserve those monuments. However, those people who did the nighttime torch march chanting "The Jews shall not replace us!" were certainly evil-minded racists.

It depends on who specifically you are talking about. I do not believe that everyone who wishes to preserve Confederate Monuments is a white supremacist, and I think that there are perfectly legitimate and rational reasons for wanting to preserve those monuments. However, those people who did the nighttime torch march chanting "The Jews shall not replace us!" were certainly evil-minded racists.

Those who wanted nothing other than to preserve Confederate statues were almost certainly not harassing the counter-protesters (or driving their cars into the crowd).

The sad and disgusting thing about this POLL is 24 members here feel conservatives ARE uneducated.
Sounds like they are setting themselves up for another fall with their elitism.

A lot are....many are not. Poll Demographics consistently show that those with college degrees and higher tend to vote more Democrat, while those without a high school education tend to vote Republican....but there are lots of exceptions are well.

You know of Yin and Yang, yes? That may be something to consider. As to your overall point, there were many good people there on both sides. It wasn't a demonstration of white supremacy, it was about historical Confederate symbols. I am certain one can enjoy visiting historical figures, while not wishing harm for others. Maybe the time has come to take them down, but there are many good citizens who don't feel a call to the past, simply by observing it.
Regards,
CP

It's too straightforward a question. A person with a business degree, a person with a degree in education, and person with a history degree, and a person with great grades in High School are all technically "educated." But, obviously, their different education programs emphasized different skill sets, which may or may not create a strong thinker as opposed to a drone. I assume that this is the sort of thing the thread was after?

Why Are Highly Educated Americans Getting More Liberal?

It's a well-worn (if not-entirely-agreed-upon) idea that college makes people more liberal. But a new report adds a twist to this: the most educated Americans have grown increasingly liberal over the last couple of decades.

A report from the Pew Research Center finds a wide partisan gap between highly educated and non-highly-educated Americans. Not only that, but the share of college grads and post-graduates who are "consistently liberal" (based on their answers to a series of policy questions) has grown sharply in the last 20 years.

pew-growing-shares.jpg

pew-ggggggggggg.jpg

Conservatives have shifted, too

It's not that conservatives haven't grown more conservative over the years, in Pew's estimation; according to their data, both sides have polarized. It's just that conservatives don't have this kind of education-related pattern.

(And to be clear, not all political scientists agree that the electorate is all that ideologically polarized. Some say it's more that affective polarization has grown — put simply, that each side increasingly dislikes the other.)

So if ideological polarization is real, where is conservatives' rightward shift showing up? According to Pew, age is one big area. Republican and GOP-leaning Baby Boomers and Generation Xers (and, to a lesser extent, members of the "Silent Generation" — people born between 1928 and 1945 here) have shifted rightward since the 1990s, Pew found.

It's too straightforward a question. A person with a business degree, a person with a degree in education, and person with a history degree, and a person with great grades in High School are all technically "educated." But, obviously, their different education programs emphasized different skill sets, which may or may not create a strong thinker as opposed to a drone. I assume that this is the sort of thing the thread was after?

That was my understanding as well. Your point is spot on. Have you ever seen College Senior's being interviewed after a game? I know a lot of folks, many of which didn't go to college, who cringe when they hear it. Oh, and I hope no one will play the race thing, I have seen all colors stumble with BIG words
Regards,
CP

You know of Yin and Yang, yes? That may be something to consider. As to your overall point, there were many good people there on both sides. It wasn't a demonstration of white supremacy, it was about historical Confederate symbols. I am certain one can enjoy visiting historical figures, while not wishing harm for others. Maybe the time has come to take them down, but there are many good citizens who don't feel a call to the past, simply by observing it.
Regards,
CP

Even assuming there were well-behaved people on your side who simply wanted the statues preserved, it was a huge failure for a national leader to ignore the bad behavior (from both sides). I'm starting to think you believe that this leader can do no wrong.

Just something to consider.

Even assuming there were well-behaved people on your side who simply wanted the statues preserved, it was a huge failure for a national leader to ignore the bad behavior (from both sides). I'm starting to think you believe that this leader can do no wrong.

Just something to consider.

I have considered, to your point. You are right. I do sometimes come across as thinking the President can do no wrong. I'm sorry for that. He surely can make mistakes. I find myself defending him from foolish, aimless, harmful, and yes hurtful remarks and that may lend itself to the flavor of my post'. Today, there is a lot of animosity toward President Trump, and I feel put on the defensive.
I concede the President can make mistakes. Every one before him did, so he certainly would be the exception if he didn't. My own opinion is that he is doing his best, and from what I've seen so far, he is doing some good things. President Bush made a terrible mistake going in to Iraq. I said he would be, several times, in many places. The difference is, once we were committed and our troops were engaged, I felt I had to back the effort. I back our President, and will, no matter who it is. A divided house, you know.
Regards,
CP

Back
Top Bottom