• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are Christian Conservatives becoming Progressive?

Are Christian Conservatives becoming Progressive?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Irrelevant to Conservatism.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LimeLight

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Due to recent events such as the New York Mosque, Tennessee Mosque, and the Koran burnings, do you believe that certain Christian based Conservatives seek to purge Islam from the U.S. in an attempt to progress towards a better society? Do you feel that these people are stepping away from their Conservative ideals in order to fit their own moral standards?

Last edited:
This doesn't even make sense. Are you suggesting that progressives have attempted to purge Islam out of the U.S.?

This doesn't even make sense. Are you suggesting that progressives have attempted to purge Islam out of the U.S.?

I don't know what exactly he is saying, but the Progressive movement hasn't always been asociated with Liberals. In the past it was asociated with Christians, and things such as Prohibition and other religious laws came out of the old progressive movement. I have a feeling he is suggesting that something like that may be reapearing.

I'd say it would be a select few, emphasis on select. Very small minority. They would be to Christianity as Terrorists are to Islam.

Some self-proclaimed Christian Conservatives believe the world would be better off without Islam. That the religion itself is evil. That sounds like a progress towards a better society. That would be against a conservatives view of protecting our Freedom of Religion. That is hypocrisy in its finest to the conservative belief.

I don't know what exactly he is saying, but the Progressive movement hasn't always been asociated with Liberals. In the past it was asociated with Christians, and things such as Prohibition and other religious laws came out of the old progressive movement. I have a feeling he is suggesting that something like that may be reapearing.

I'd say it would be a select few, emphasis on select. Very small minority. They would be to Christianity as Terrorists are to Islam.

Right on the money.

Due to recent events such as the New York Mosque, Tennessee Mosque, and the Koran burnings, do you believe that certain Christian based Conservatives seek to purge Islam from the U.S. in an attempt to progress towards a better society? Do you feel that these people are stepping away from their Conservative ideals in order to fit their own moral standards?

Unlike the original Tea Partiers, Progressives won't let the bigots and hate merchants hijack our movement and ideals and turn us into Teabaggers. So no thanks, Sarah and Co can keep the angry old white "christian" bigot demographic.

Issues between those of Christian-faith and Islam have been butting heads since . . . . well . . . . always.

No - I don't think they're "progressing forward" (used generally - not referring to a Progressive political association) - they *had* a stronger hold on our country and people in the past and, if anything, we're progressing *away* from it.

Are some Christians progressives? I would say yes, but not for the reason in the OP. There are some Christian organizations that seem to believe our government policies should be shaped by Jesus' teachings. They believe since Jesus said to help the poor, that means the government should create policies to help the poor and force the citizens of the country to be "charitable".

Weird how Jesus never was a political activist and when talking about helping the poor and less fortunate he was talking to INDIVIDUALS, not the government. Individual charity doesn't just help those less fortunate, it lifts the spirit of the giver. Jesus was about changing individual hearts, not assisting a man-made government in forcing their citizens to give. That changes no hearts.

Are some Christians progressives? I would say yes, but not for the reason in the OP. There are some Christian organizations that seem to believe our government policies should be shaped by Jesus' teachings. They believe since Jesus said to help the poor, that means the government should create policies to help the poor and force the citizens of the country to be "charitable".

Weird how Jesus never was a political activist and when talking about helping the poor and less fortunate he was talking to INDIVIDUALS, not the government. Individual charity doesn't just help those less fortunate, it lifts the spirit of the giver. Jesus was about changing individual hearts, not assisting a man-made government in forcing their citizens to give. That changes no hearts.
Is this something Glenn Beck 'taught' you? I always thought Jesus was a liberal.

I always thought Jesus was a liberal.

It's not what you think that matters. The truth matters. If you could show me where in scripture Jesus promoted government policies and told his disciples to "go into all the world and [change the laws so that no one will be poor and the rich will be forced to pay their dues]", I'll be more than happy to listen.

Jesus wasn't liberal or conservative or libertarian or anything. He wasn't political.

It's not what you think that matters. The truth matters. If you could show me where in scripture Jesus promoted government policies and told his disciples to "go into all the world and [change the laws so that no one will be poor and the rich will be forced to pay their dues]", I'll be more than happy to listen.

Jesus wasn't liberal or conservative or libertarian or anything. He wasn't political.

Then why do so many Christians want to turn this nation into a "Christian Nation"?

Then why do so many Christians want to turn this nation into a "Christian Nation"?

Who does? And what do you mean by "Christian nation"? A theocracy?

Who does? And what do you mean by "Christian nation"? A theocracy?

Oh give me a break you have heard the "Christian Nation" rhetoric before.

Oh give me a break you have heard the "Christian Nation" rhetoric before.

Yes, but what does that mean? Do you think they really want a theocracy?

And the people using Jesus to shape government policy on helping the poor are in the current administration.

Yes, but what does that mean? Do you think they really want a theocracy?

And the people using Jesus to shape government policy on helping the poor are in the current administration.

Well that is no where close to what I was talking about and you know it. I'm not going to play your silly diversion game. Many on the right want to interject their Christian religion into politics. This seem antithetical to Jesus if Jesus was truly apolitical.

Unlike the original Tea Partiers, Progressives won't let the bigots and hate merchants hijack our movement and ideals and turn us into Teabaggers. So no thanks, Sarah and Co can keep the angry old white "christian" bigot demographic.

Dems are more racist than the Tea Party of today.

That's not Christian progressivism. That's more Dominionism, or Christian Socilism.

Weird how Jesus never was a political activist

During that ancient time, considering how involved organized religions were with government, being a religious radical, which Jesus was to the Jewish religious structure, was the same as being a political radical.

and when talking about helping the poor and less fortunate he was talking to INDIVIDUALS, not the government. Individual charity doesn't just help those less fortunate, it lifts the spirit of the giver. Jesus was about changing individual hearts, not assisting a man-made government in forcing their citizens to give. That changes no hearts.

No, but it does help those who are poor be able to get assistance without having to hear someone preach to them to get it, which is important if they don't believe in Christianity.

No, but it does help those who are poor be able to get assistance without having to hear someone preach to them to get it, which is important if they don't believe in Christianity.

I think we will always have some need for government assistance. However, it should be as a last resort and seldom as a permanent entitlement.
When people are allowed to keep more of their own money, they are better able to share with those in need. It's not just Christians who are charitable and not all Christians donate to only Christian organizations.
One of the saddist things I heard (not sure it passed) But Obama wanted to decrease the deduction that could be taken for charitable giving. It's like he was saying charity isn't a worthy cause, so give me the money and I'll decide who gets it.
I don't want to live in a country where charity isn't a high priority.

Well that is no where close to what I was talking about and you know it. I'm not going to play your silly diversion game. Many on the right want to interject their Christian religion into politics. This seem antithetical to Jesus if Jesus was truly apolitical.

Many on the LEFT also want to inject their religion into politics. If you can't see that, then you need to try a little harder. Start with Obama's spiritual advisor, Jim Wallis. And, you're right, it's antithetical.

Many on the LEFT also want to inject their religion into politics. If you can't see that, then you need to try a little harder. Start with Obama's spiritual advisor, Jim Wallis. And, you're right, it's antithetical.

Ahh more diversion from you.

Ahh more diversion from you.

What are you talking about? We're discussing people who use religion to try to shape policy. I told you where to look for those that do it on the left too. If you want to learn, you'll research it. What diversion?

I don't preach to people who I give to.... ???

When you address my points about your claim of Jesus being apolitical and the right wings desire to inject Christianity into politics then I might address your obvious diversions.

When you address my points about your claim of Jesus being apolitical and the right wings desire to inject Christianity into politics then I might address your obvious diversions.

I already did. I said some liberals desire to inject Christianity into politics TOO. There is no diversion. People on BOTH sides do it. Do you agree?

Back
Top Bottom