• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are Christian Conservatives becoming Progressive?

Are Christian Conservatives becoming Progressive?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Irrelevant to Conservatism.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think we will always have some need for government assistance. However, it should be as a last resort and seldom as a permanent entitlement.

Here's the thing. There are some people who can't take care of themselves. Many of these are mentally ill people. And of those, there are the retarded who cannot care for themselves by taking medication, unlike the mentally ill who are afflicted with disorders such as clinical depression or bipolar disorder.

Such people require the care of professional social workers trained and educated in that area of expertise. Such care is required life-long for them. Without tax dollars supporting such social welfare programs for the mentally ill, they will only get support when people think of it. It times of economic recession such as that which is current, those who are mentally ill can lose out on the support provided by social workers. Without such support, those who are mentally ill can get into trouble, especially the law if they don't understand their actions.

While I do agree with you that temporary social programs should not become permanent entitlements, there are some things that are too important to be trusted to charitable organizations, whether they be religious in nature or not.

When people are allowed to keep more of their own money, they are better able to share with those in need. It's not just Christians who are charitable and not all Christians donate to only Christian organizations.

You are right. However, there are some causes that people don't always think about. Like I mentioned before, social programs to give aid to the mentally retarded or the mentally ill.

Also, there are many charitable organizations who act more like businesses than charities. Take, for example, the recent earthquake in Haiti. Many charitable organizations asked for donations for that cause. However, only a drop in a bucket of the millions that were donated actually contributed to any Haitian relief yet.

One reason is because such organizations say "a portion of the proceeds" will go to the cause. The rest of it will go to executives and staff of that organization. I believe that Wyclef Jean was under investigation for taking a salary from a charity for Haiti relief that was about a quarter of a million dollars.

That's why the only charity I give money to is a local charity that primarily gives toys to local kids whose parents can't afford them at Christmas. Nobody in that charity organization takes a salary of any kind - all the staff volunteers their time. This way, more of the money can go to the charitable cause.

This has made me see many charitable organizations as corrupt, which is why I'd prefer government organizations instead. While I know that there is government corruption, I think that can be dealt with better than corruption in private organizations.

One of the saddist things I heard (not sure it passed) But Obama wanted to decrease the deduction that could be taken for charitable giving. It's like he was saying charity isn't a worthy cause, so give me the money and I'll decide who gets it.
I don't want to live in a country where charity isn't a high priority.

Here is the latest story I could find on that subject.

Senate Rejects Obama Plan to Cut Tax Breaks on Charitable Gifts - Bloomberg

However, it's important to note why he did that. He wanted more money to go to health care. He never said that charity isn't a worthy cause or should be a high priority. Rather, it's more like that money should go to help the health of our nation.

And if people only give to charity for the tax deduction, how charitable is that, really?

I don't preach to people who I give to.... ???

No, but the religious charities you donate to may preach to those who are trying to receive to get help from that charity.

For example, what is the likelihood that a Catholic charity that helps children get adopted will allow such children in their charity to be taken care of by gay and lesbian couples? Quite unlikely, since homosexuality goes against the dogma of the Catholic Church. Which means the children under their care will miss out on being taken care of because of the religious doctrine of the charity.

No, but the religious charities you donate to may preach to those who are trying to receive to get help from that charity.

For example, what is the likelihood that a Catholic charity that helps children get adopted will allow such children in their charity to be taken care of by gay and lesbian couples? Quite unlikely, since homosexuality goes against the dogma of the Catholic Church. Which means the children under their care will miss out on being taken care of because of the religious doctrine of the charity.

I'm more of a personal giver. I give to individuals and families more than organizations. I do give to the local center that helps single moms and pregnant women. I also give to an animal organization.

And I have never kept track of my charitable contributions to put on my taxes. Never. Seems odd to me to do that.

I already did. I said some liberals desire to inject Christianity into politics TOO. There is no diversion. People on BOTH sides do it. Do you agree?

So people on the left that are Christians get some ideas from the Bible :eek:

I don't see them claiming this is a "christian nation" like people on the right do.

So people on the left that are Christians get some ideas from the Bible :eek:

I don't see them claiming this is a "christian nation" like people on the right do.

Again, that depends on what you mean by "christian nation". You don't seem to want to explain that.

If you mean "Christian Nation" as in most of our citizens describe themselves as Christian, I agree.

If you mean "Christian Nation" as in the majority of our Founders were of the Christian religion, I agree.

If you mean "Christian Nation" as in we are a theocracy, I disagree (obviously).

So.....what do you think those "righties" mean by "Christian Nation", winston?

Again, that depends on what you mean by "christian nation". You don't seem to want to explain that.

I mean exactly what the conservative right wing christians mean when they claim this is a "christian nation".

I mean exactly what the conservative right wing christians mean when they claim this is a "christian nation".

And that would be..............?

If you mean "Christian Nation" as in most of our citizens describe themselves as Christian, I agree.

If you mean "Christian Nation" as in the majority of our Founders were of the Christian religion, I agree.

If you mean "Christian Nation" as in we are a theocracy, I disagree (obviously).

So.....what do you think those "righties" mean by "Christian Nation", winston?

They think the Government is founded on the Bible and see no separation of church and state.

Now is that an apolitical Jesus would want?

They think the Government is founded on the Bible and see no separation of church and state.

Now is that an apolitical Jesus would want?

Now, what's the difference between the "righties" that believe this and the "lefties" that use Jesus' words to shape policy?

Here's the thing. There are some people who can't take care of themselves. Many of these are mentally ill people. And of those, there are the retarded who cannot care for themselves by taking medication, unlike the mentally ill who are afflicted with disorders such as clinical depression or bipolar disorder.

Such people require the care of professional social workers trained and educated in that area of expertise. Such care is required life-long for them. Without tax dollars supporting such social welfare programs for the mentally ill, they will only get support when people think of it. It times of economic recession such as that which is current, those who are mentally ill can lose out on the support provided by social workers. Without such support, those who are mentally ill can get into trouble, especially the law if they don't understand their actions.

While I do agree with you that temporary social programs should not become permanent entitlements, there are some things that are too important to be trusted to charitable organizations, whether they be religious in nature or not.

You are right. However, there are some causes that people don't always think about. Like I mentioned before, social programs to give aid to the mentally retarded or the mentally ill.

Also, there are many charitable organizations who act more like businesses than charities. Take, for example, the recent earthquake in Haiti. Many charitable organizations asked for donations for that cause. However, only a drop in a bucket of the millions that were donated actually contributed to any Haitian relief yet.

One reason is because such organizations say "a portion of the proceeds" will go to the cause. The rest of it will go to executives and staff of that organization. I believe that Wyclef Jean was under investigation for taking a salary from a charity for Haiti relief that was about a quarter of a million dollars.

That's why the only charity I give money to is a local charity that primarily gives toys to local kids whose parents can't afford them at Christmas. Nobody in that charity organization takes a salary of any kind - all the staff volunteers their time. This way, more of the money can go to the charitable cause.

This has made me see many charitable organizations as corrupt, which is why I'd prefer government organizations instead. While I know that there is government corruption, I think that can be dealt with better than corruption in private organizations.

Here is the latest story I could find on that subject.

Senate Rejects Obama Plan to Cut Tax Breaks on Charitable Gifts - Bloomberg

However, it's important to note why he did that. He wanted more money to go to health care. He never said that charity isn't a worthy cause or should be a high priority. Rather, it's more like that money should go to help the health of our nation.

And if people only give to charity for the tax deduction, how charitable is that, really?

I pretty much agree with everything you said.

We will always need government assistance for some like the ones you pointed out.

Also people need to beware of donating to large charities where little goes to the cause. Still better than trusting the government though. :)

I personally donate locally, or to people I cross paths with who are temperarily in a bind. For instance, I'm not physically able to do a lot anymore. My property, small repairs and house were becoming a disaster. I came across a friend that needed extra cash and she had a friend out of work. They offered to help me. Between the two of them my house and yard are looking great. That's not exactly charity, but they don't have to feel like they owe me, and as long as I can afford to, I'll find things for them to do.
I also donate to local food banks and give cash to the local charities that help people with their utility bills. If everyone did their share locally many people could be helped without government intervention. However to do that we need a good economy, and low taxes.

Anyway, I think we are headed down the wrong path when the government seems to want to take care of us from cradle to grave with tax payer money. I value freedom too much for that.

I don't agree that tax dedutions from charities to support Health care would have been a good idea. That whole thing needs trashed and we need to start over.

Oh, Also I don't know anyone who would give to a charity BECAUSE it's a tax deduction.

Now, what's the difference between the "righties" that believe this and the "lefties" that use Jesus' words to shape policy?

The answer is "which policies get enacted." Liberals tend to use Christian belief to justify social government programs. Conservatives tend to use Christian belief to justify laws on personal issues.

A joke now that we have had time to understand that - all Ralph Reid did was to make -The Body of Christ a "political action committe", alot of christians and non baptists were embaressed and scared.

Back
Top Bottom