• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are cell phones hackable?

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Reason I ask is that the news very often shows HC on her cellphone looking at either texts or emails. Is there such a thing as a secure cellphone that can't be hacked?

There us no such thing as "can't".

Encryption is an invention of man, and therefore can be de-encrypted. After all, the receiver has to read it.

Reason I ask is that the news very often shows HC on her cellphone looking at either texts or emails. Is there such a thing as a secure cellphone that can't be hacked?

I think that they can be made safe. The German Chancellor uses her cell all the time too.

Anything that recieves an outside signal can be hacked. That said, the FBI had to BEG Apple to unlock one of their iPhones a few months back.

Thus why secure communications are so important. If nothing else, you can be alerted that you may be getting hacked, targeted, or tested.

If no one in Hillary's infrastructure had the courage to tell her not to run a bootleg server, it says a lot about what will be going on behind the scenes of a Clinton presidency. That is scary to me.

I think ether AES256 or even 3DES have not actually been broken, and while the possibility exists,
it would be difficult and very time consuming.
Attaching to a server with a cell phone based VPN client, would be fairly secure, for people looking at the signals.
If someone were near by with a directional microphone, that is a very different story.

Blackberry is probably your best bet, there is a reason why governments still use them.

Cellphones can be "hacked", yes, particularly if she downloads a lot of apps for amusement. But what, really, is the point in this thread? Is there some silly implied criticism of Hillary for using a cellphone to conduct her business?

If so, that would be beyond absurd. Government officials need to be able to communicate quickly with just about anyone. Get rid of a cellphone, and then she'd have to use a computer, which could be hacked. Get rid of the computer, and have her only use landline telephone calls. Not only would that be inefficient, but those too could be bugged, or if the other person is untrustworthy they could have someone listening in. And so on.

A criticism of an official simply for using modern means of communication, without more, would be absurd. So I hope that's not what was being implied in the OP...

The only reason government uses those pieces of **** is that Obama wouldn't give up his and learn to use something more secure.

Dutch police hack into 'uncrackable' Blackberry

Maybe you should read the article:
Even deleted emails could "largely" be recovered, although police could not hack into the phones from a distance, but had to have them in their hands, the website said, linking to a number of excerpts from what it said were NFI reports.
So on other words to be hacked the phone would have to be stolen and have small team working to crack it, in that time you could probably brick it. And I imagine Blackberry has probably fixed that particular hole, they are not completely secure, no phone is, but Blackberries are more secure than any other brand.

Cellphones can be "hacked", yes, particularly if she downloads a lot of apps for amusement. But what, really, is the point in this thread? Is there some silly implied criticism of Hillary for using a cellphone to conduct her business?

If so, that would be beyond absurd. Government officials need to be able to communicate quickly with just about anyone. Get rid of a cellphone, and then she'd have to use a computer, which could be hacked. Get rid of the computer, and have her only use landline telephone calls. Not only would that be inefficient, but those too could be bugged, or if the other person is untrustworthy they could have someone listening in. And so on.

A criticism of an official simply for using modern means of communication, without more, would be absurd. So I hope that's not what was being implied in the OP...

You INFERRED that. I was trying to learn something.

You INFERRED that.

I cannot imagine why I would infer that someone who has regularly criticized Hillary and I believed done so over the whole email server business might be referring to the same general type of thing when posting about unhackable phones and the fact that HC uses her cellphone.

There's just no reason to bring up HC specifically if the question had nothing to do with her. That's just how language goes.

:shrug:

Maybe I'm weird.

I cannot imagine why I would infer that someone who has regularly criticized Hillary and I believed done so over the whole email server business might be referring to the same general type of thing when posting about unhackable phones and the fact that HC uses her cellphone.

There's just no reason to bring up HC specifically if the question had nothing to do with her. That's just how language goes.

:shrug:

Maybe I'm weird.

There IS a reason to bring her up. I've seen her on the news channels today on her cellphone. That's why I asked the question. They're re-running old video in some of their news stories.

When I am criticizing HC, you won't miss it, I promise you. "Sneaking up" on criticism is not my style.

all cellphones are hackable, android has low defense, Ios leaves massive holes in their security. Blackberry is the king of security, but almost no one uses them anymore except certain govt officials and high ranking members of corporations who do not want their secrets easily hacked.

Even blackberry is hackable, but they make it extremely difficult. The only thing that has kept phones from being hacked like computers is that android and ios change versions like the wind changes directions, which makes it more difficult. Also android ios windows phone blackberry etc run on arm cpu while a select few android devices and windows phones run on intel.

Intel is the main architecture used by virtually all home computers, and the majority of servers, meaning hackers are not going to learn to hack multiple os variations plus arm arch when intel servers and computers are more plentiful.

BB all the way

I couldn't care less what others think, I believe it to be the most secure

It is the most secure, but their model sucks. They did fine when their only competition was palmos, now they are barely competing.

If I were the ceo of bb, I would have sold to either google or apple, offering security enhancements as an optional closed source package, while still making full security blackberry os phones. The bb os phones are limited demand, but there is a demand and people need them.

Problem is bb pretty much is dropping making their own phones and is on the verge of dropping bb os, they now want to just make security software, which will work but never meet govt needs since it will be on fully or partially open source platforms, that is unless they adopt windows phone.

It is the most secure, but their model sucks. They did fine when their only competition was palmos, now they are barely competing.

If I were the ceo of bb, I would have sold to either google or apple, offering security enhancements as an optional closed source package, while still making full security blackberry os phones. The bb os phones are limited demand, but there is a demand and people need them.

Problem is bb pretty much is dropping making their own phones and is on the verge of dropping bb os, they now want to just make security software, which will work but never meet govt needs since it will be on fully or partially open source platforms, that is unless they adopt windows phone.

actually they have partnered with google and have a new secure Android with a slip out keyboard...it's called the PRIV

it's awesome, super secure but now you can use apps which was the biggest problem with the Q10 and Z30

they are also releasing 3 more or they may have already....they are not as high end as the PRIV but are very affordable

plus I have to say, I don't think their models suck at all I have the Q10, I love it but the screen isn't big enough...the PRIV will meet that need however

actually they have partnered with google and have a new secure Android with a slip out keyboard...it's called the PRIV

it's awesome, super secure but now you can use apps which was the biggest problem with the Q10 and Z30

they are also releasing 3 more or they may have already....they are not as high end as the PRIV but are very affordable

plus I have to say, I don't think their models suck at all I have the Q10, I love it but the screen isn't big enough...the PRIV will meet that need however

not their phone model, their business model. And yeah I know about the android, but the priv sold horribly, one of the biggest reasons was that it was one of the most expensive phones on the market. They will probably pick up sales when they offer mid line android phones.

not their phone model, their business model. And yeah I know about the android, but the priv sold horribly, one of the biggest reasons was that it was one of the most expensive phones on the market. They will probably pick up sales when they offer mid line android phones.
the PRIV is android

they are a business model...my company has previously used the Q10, the Z30 and we are now deploying PRIVs and they will be our company wide mobiles

due to confidentiality level needed, we have to use the BES

nothing else is as secure

only PRIV problem we are currently experiencing is with some of our charging cubes, other than that...they are remarkably intuitive and secure, and up to date

the three new ones are literally 3 levels of affordable

the PRIV is android

they are a business model...my company has previously used the Q10, the Z30 and we are now deploying PRIVs and they will be our company wide mobiles

due to confidentiality level needed, we have to use the BES

nothing else is as secure

only PRIV problem we are currently experiencing is with some of our charging cubes, other than that...they are remarkably intuitive and secure, and up to date

the three new ones are literally 3 levels of affordable

No I do not mean a model for business I mean their model in which they conduct business. Ie they have run themselves into the ground and near bankruptcy, and are now changing and starting to do what they should have when android and iphone first hit the market.

No I do not mean a model for business I mean their model in which they conduct business. Ie they have run themselves into the ground and near bankruptcy, and are now changing and starting to do what they should have when android and iphone first hit the market.

Iphones are over

BB was about business that is why they were so secure...they did not cater to the public and eventually took the dive

however, now they do also cater to the public

they may be a little late to the party but they are far, far from dead

they will phoenix

The State Department wanted Hillary to use one of their devices...I assume they built in extra security...but she declined and kept using her own devices, which if I recall correctly included an iPad.

If someone wanted to hack Hillary, she did all she could to make it easier.

Back
Top Bottom