• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

are budget friendly meals going to make a comeback

Rotflmao!

Fussy? That is the last thing I am.
You confuse prudent direction in dinning for fear of food not in one's culture.

You're one of DP's elites. I believe that's your angle.

Are budget friendly meals going to make a comeback? I wonder because inflation is getting out of hand, old meals like meatloaf, dirty rice, american goulash etc had their roots in poverty style cooking.

Currently food prices and inflation are outpacing wages, and certain foods are getting double hit due to the russia ukraine conflict, russia and ukraine are some of the largest exporters of grain, and russia is the largest exporter of fertilizer. Given how global the food supply is I wonder in America as well as the rest of the world if depression style cooking will make a comeback, or if the very least 1970's style cooking under the last big bout of inflation.

The sad thing is as a kid I remember eating creative meals, spaghetti was a common staple, as was hamburger beans, meatloaf, tips and rice, hamburger and rice etc, all made up of cheaper ingredients at the time, as at the time my father even being an nco in the navy did not make the greatest amount of money for the size of the family, both him and my mom were very good at stretching a budget and making food work no matter how little the money was.

I ate these kinds of meals at the school cafeteria growing up, so no biggie. Also, I would whip up anything I could find in my friend's house after surfing at the beach- tomato sandwich was my fav (just bread, sliced tomatoes and mayo) and the quality wouldnt matter since I was starving. Surfing all day makes you hungry.

My mind is still wired to eat these as comfort foods, so every once in awhile I would buy packets of cheap instant ramen and just cook them up and eat them with crackers, even though I can afford more expensive fare.

I ate these kinds of meals at the school cafeteria growing up, so no biggie. Also, I would whip up anything I could find in my friend's house after surfing at the beach- tomato sandwich was my fav (just bread, sliced tomatoes and mayo) and the quality wouldnt matter since I was starving. Surfing all day makes you hungry.

My mind is still wired to eat these as comfort foods, so every once in awhile I would buy packets of cheap instant ramen and just cook them up and eat them with crackers, even though I can afford more expensive fare.

A tomato sandwich made from fresh picked, homegrown tomatoes is superb.

Grocery store tomatoes, not so much.

Reactions: PoS
Meat is ridiculously expensive so probably vegetarian. I went veggie this week on my meal prep, but even still , still spent a ton of money. I feel fro those struggling financially

Meat is ridiculously expensive so probably vegetarian. I went veggie this week on my meal prep, but even still , still spent a ton of money. I feel fro those struggling financially

Beans, a whole grain, and vegetables are inexpensive. Add a little good fat to round out the macronutrients (protein, fat, carbohydrate). Make sure you get enough calories. I can help anyone figure out macronutrient calculations.

1649371438654.png

A tomato sandwich made from fresh picked, homegrown tomatoes is superb.

Grocery store tomatoes, not so much.
To be fair, Ive eaten tomatoes in a multitude of different countries, and they all taste the same to me.

To be fair, Ive eaten tomatoes in a multitude of different countries, and they all taste the same to me.

I wasn't contrasting the produce of different countries.

A homegrown tomato, especially of one of the heirloom varieties, tastes better IMO and that of many others. I've never met anyone who has tried both, who hasn't agreed.

Grocery store tomatoes are bred for characteristics that make them easier to ship, and visually appealing. I believe they are also picked and shipped while still green.

I wasn't contrasting the produce of different countries.

A homegrown tomato, especially of one of the heirloom varieties, tastes better IMO and that of many others. I've never met anyone who has tried both, who hasn't agreed.

Grocery store tomatoes are bred for characteristics that make them easier to ship, and visually appealing. I believe they are also picked and shipped while still green.
My point was that Ive eaten every kind of tomato, from organic to grocery bought, to canned, and they all tasted the same.

My point was that Ive eaten every kind of tomato, from organic to grocery bought, to canned, and they all tasted the same.
Then you're a lucky man. 😀

budget friendly meals faded away at some point?

nobody tells me shit
Mostly after the 2008-2009 crisis many did, many budget items got scaled back or dissapeared from shelves, and the populace started shifting towards higher dollar meals rather than the traditional stufff.

Yeah budget meals were still around, but not as mainstream as before(except maybe ramen) while in the past during the supposed boom times of bush jr clinton and reagan budget meals were big, indicating in both economic growth and recession, wasting large amounts of money for the average citizen on food was not possible until during the obama and trump years, as people eating gourmet and organic and free range everything was only possible for the elite in much of the past, and rent, electricity water transportation etc often took priority.

Hamburger beans was a staple growing up, it was just the cheapest giant tube of ground beef, usually 30% plus fat content, and a large can of baked beans, plus whatever else could be thrown in depending on the monthly budget. The other big staple was beef and rice, white rice brown gravy and ground beef mixed with whatever else was available, sometimes it would be steak pieces if lesser cuts were cheap enough.

Often my mother would get creative and make all sorts of food with next to nothing. If it could be made with some combos of vegetables, grain, meat etc she would find somehow someway to make it edible. For example one snack food as a kid was tortillas with butter, yes just that, it is like buttered bread, but flat, a tub of the cheapest margerine was dirt cheap as was the cheapest bulk pack of tortillas.

Back
Top Bottom