• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are blogs and tabloids more reliable sources of news then mainstream media?

Are blogs and tabloids better sources of fact based news?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I hear this a lot when I quote a newspaper like the New York times that it is biased because it is "mainstream media"

That made me wonder, if the New York Times should not be trusted because of its mainstream bias, does that make tabloids, blogs, and periodicals more factually reliable?

While blogs may get information out there that others do not or get it out there faster than others do, they still are largely about clickbait and sensationalism that grows advertising. I'd say they are decent with sporadic fact, but the context and analysis are so lacking that it is disturbing that so many people rely upon them, especially sites that aggregate the nonsense.

Both are prone to create sensationalism with headlines and skip serious source/factual verification to be first with "the facts" but the edge still goes to the traditional outlets. While even a blind squirrel finds the occasioanl nut; it is still more likely that those with a larger number of fact checkers, reporters and researchers, and better reputations to defend, will offer the better product.

Some people seem to believe what they read from Parisian blogs more then do from actual news.

Well, I'd personally say that it depends on whether or not the blogger uses credible sources or not. It's not really so much the opinion that matters, as much as the facts that can be backed up.

Never...bloggers for the vast majority of their stories get their news from fact based news so cut out the middle man and go straight to the source.

Now there is something to be said for people that are experts in a field writing a blog and telling you what the information means or the implications.

I suppose they are of equal value. Both types of sources are agenda driven. At least the obscure ones are read with a healthier dose of skepticism than the larger MSM.

Either way, unless you were there, it will always be a bit of a mystery.

I get my news from radio signals that are sent to me by the Mrkffds, a benign alien race. :aliens3:

for the most part, no. most of the idiotic, unscientific nonsense comes from blogs, especially concerning vaccines. naturalnews, i'm looking at you and your endless projectile vomiting of woo.

same with political stuff. here's pretty much every political blog summed up in one easy formula :

I hate _______, so ________ must be true.

If it weren't for blogs, where would conspiracy theorists get their news?

Back
Top Bottom