• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are American Voters Actually Just Stupid?

Risky Thicket

Sewer Rat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]"A New Poll Suggests the Answer May Be Yes"[/h]
Even realizing what they believe is incorrect polls say Trump voters would do the same thing again anyway. :shock:

While some groups of voters may apply decision-rules based on either single issues or concerns about their community and its progress (African-Americans fit this model, for instance), American voters en masse are not rational actors who seriously consider the available information, develop knowledge and expertise about their own specific political concerns, and then make political choices that would maximize those goals.

These matters are further complicated when considering right-wing voters. While Trump may have failed in most of his policy goals, he has succeeded symbolically in terms of his racist and nativist crusade against people of color and Muslims. Given the centrality of racism and white supremacy in today’s Republican Party specifically, and movement conservatism more generally, Trump’s hostility to people of color can be counted as a type of “success” by his racially resentful white voters.

Source

The far right are the stupidest people this country has ever seen and their unwavering support of Donald Trump through all of the slap-dash unprofessional mismanagement of the administration just reinforces that conclusion. I think that moderate voters who thought Trump might make a difference would think twice, but the Trump base, egged on by the likes of Sean Hannity would vote for Trump a hundred times just out of spite and ignorance.

Even realizing what they believe is incorrect polls say Trump voters would do the same thing again anyway. :shock:

Source
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Purely anecdotal but every Trump voter I know did it for one reason only.....he wasn't Clinton. So yeah, they'd vote for him again.

The far right are the stupidest people this country has ever seen and their unwavering support of Donald Trump through all of the slap-dash unprofessional mismanagement of the administration just reinforces that conclusion. I think that moderate voters who thought Trump might make a difference would think twice, but the Trump base, egged on by the likes of Sean Hannity would vote for Trump a hundred times just out of spite and ignorance.

And this mentality is the reason why your side will continue to lose debates and elections.

It's not 2018 yet.

The "dumb far right" will probably go out and actually vote for their candidate while the "intellectual far left" will stay home and assume their candidate will win. The lefty loons the day after will be baffled why their candidate loss making you wonder......the dumb far right may not actually be that dumb.

Source
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Trump is a racist but African-Americans are a homogeneous voting bloc. It's stuff like this that endears me to Alternet and associated moonbat sites.

I'll try this one more time because many on the left STILL don't understand...half or more of Trump's votes were actually votes against Hillary. Hillary Clinton, more even than Jeb Bush, was the epitome of the political class. Half of her own party didn't want her and only voted for her because she wasn't Trump. So, when you ask "If Trump and Clinton were the candidates would you still vote for Trump?" the ONLY answer most anyone to the ideological right of Mao would give you is "Yes".

If Trump was running against Sanders you might get a few more "I just wouldn't vote" responses because even as wacky as Sanders ideas were he was at least human (and besides, he'd never get anything through). Basically, there would be less harm in a Sanders presidency than in a Clinton one.

My hope, assuming we survive the next few years, is that Americans realize that we've created a ****ing monster in DC and that we need to cage it before it kills us. We should NEVER be in a position where a Trump v Clinton election would be this problematic because the federal government should never have so much power that it becomes a problem.

This is EXACTLY the attitude we voted against when we pulled the lever for Trump. See what it got you?

And this mentality is the reason why your side will continue to lose debates and elections.

What is my side? Oh, you don't know, do you?

I don't have a side, Bucko. You make a huge self-limiting mistake when you automatically assume that people you don't agree with regarding specific issues are on the "other" side. Are you also one of those people who seems to believe political affiliation is genetically determined?

Source
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Yep. The liberals are maligning Trump so continuingly that many people seem to really think he is racist or cares two cents about someone being Muslim.

Trump is a racist but African-Americans are a homogeneous voting bloc. It's stuff like this that endears me to Alternet and associated moonbat sites.

I'll try this one more time because many on the left STILL don't understand...half or more of Trump's votes were actually votes against Hillary. Hillary Clinton, more even than Jeb Bush, was the epitome of the political class. Half of her own party didn't want her and only voted for her because she wasn't Trump. So, when you ask "If Trump and Clinton were the candidates would you still vote for Trump?" the ONLY answer most anyone to the ideological right of Mao would give you is "Yes".

The article said as much. Personally, there was no way in hell I could vote for Clinton or Trump. But according to the interpretation of the recent poll, given the same choices the votes would probably remain close to the same as many people didn't so much vote for Trump as they voted against Clinton. I continue to support the idea of "Neither" on presidential ballots.

If Trump was running against Sanders you might get a few more "I just wouldn't vote" responses because even as wacky as Sanders ideas were he was at least human (and besides, he'd never get anything through). Basically, there would be less harm in a Sanders presidency than in a Clinton one.

My hope, assuming we survive the next few years, is that Americans realize that we've created a ****ing monster in DC and that we need to cage it before it kills us. We should NEVER be in a position where a Trump v Clinton election would be this problematic because the federal government should never have so much power that it becomes a problem.

Most Americans don't have a ****ing clue as to what is happening in Washington or why it happens or how it happens. Sadly I don't see that changing. The OP article seems to confirm that.

Everyone who voted for Trump wasn't stupid.Some of those people were just ignorant.

:lol:

President Trump's ethnic scapegoating is both bigoted and disgusting- almost as disgusting as dishonestly describing "voting based on rationality" as "a homogeneous voting bloc".

You're right, of course, it's not necessarily irrational devotion to President Trump, it's also at least irrational (and dishonest) hatred of Hillary.

Ah, you think the government should just be a powerless entity. That's just your opinion of good governance.

Everyone who voted for Trump wasn't stupid.Some of those people were just ignorant.

:lol:

But the most ignorant were those that didn't want him but didn't vote.

;)

The "dumb far right" will probably go out and actually vote for their candidate while the "intellectual far left" will stay home and assume their candidate will win. The lefty loons the day after will be baffled why their candidate loss making you wonder......the dumb far right may not actually be that dumb.

When the left stays home, they are punishing Democrats. You're forgetting that Obama won - twice...

This is EXACTLY the attitude we voted against when we pulled the lever for Trump. See what it got you?

(chuckle)

Do YOU see what YOU got?

That's the point.

Great post!

Source
[/FONT][/COLOR]

I think it safe you say that republicans hate Hillary as much as you hate Trump.

(chuckle)

Do YOU see what YOU got?

That's the point.

Lol- it seems the majority of President Trump supporters have absolutely no idea. What little they think they know is that it's still better than Hillary, but don't expect a coherent explanation as for why.

I believe there is some stupidity on the Right, along with some ignorance. No different than the Left, really. But I believe a substantial Right factor was a sort of 'willful negligence' concerning Trump.

Now I see it as 'willful negligence' imperiling our republic, but they may see it as "dire circumstance calls for desperate measure".

So be it, I suppose.

I believe there is some stupidity on the Right, along with some ignorance. No different than the Left, really. But I believe a substantial Right factor was a sort of 'willful negligence' concerning Trump.

Now I see it as 'willful negligence' imperiling our republic, but they may see it as "dire circumstance calls for desperate measure".

So be it, I suppose.

Chomsky,

The majority of the Democrats voting blocs come from newly eligible voters - those that are under 30, illegal immigrants, and minorities.

I do not want to paint with a broad brush but the majority of people voting under 25 are just straight out of college and do not have that much real life experience/real life knowledge. The majority of their knowledge is from textbooks and in theory.

Illegal immigrants and minorities statistically have less education so I would argue the majority of stupidity is coming from the left.

Trump voters are extremely pragmatic. Trump is securing their interests and concerns making them very intelligent.

I am unconvinced. BS would probably have been much worse for the country. Having a platform for four years would have given him to plant enough hate and envey to do real damage.

Source
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Posting trash from alternet... well it fits for you I suppose.

I am unconvinced. BS would probably have been much worse for the country. Having a platform for four years would have given him to plant enough hate and envey to do real damage.

It's highly unlikely that Sanders would have been able to get much of what he talked about through. It all cost too much and neither side of the aisle would have been inclined to raise taxes enough to get it done.

Back
Top Bottom