• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are American Income Taxes Too High When Compared To Canada?

Carjosse

Sit Nomine Digna
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I am very curious because I hear Americans complain about tax rates all the time especially those from California, but when I compare it to Canada it seems even those in California pay much less when compared to us. Quebec is also the most taxed place in North America. I find this rather odd since U.S. states are responsible for much more than Canadian provinces but collect less tax and there is no such thing as equalization payments in the U.S.. We also have much higher sales taxes with all provinces except Alberta having 10% or higher sales tax rate, Quebec has the highest at 14.975%. I would also like to let you know our public services like education and healthcare are of all high quality in every province with little discrepancy. Here is a calculator. Alberta is our lowest tax province (most of the time) with it's flat 10% tax and Quebec is the highest.

Note: These are solely income tax, no Pension Plan deductions or EI payments included.

Last edited:
I am very curious because I hear Americans complain about tax rates all the time especially those from California, but when I compare it to Canada it seems even those in California pay much less when compared to us. Quebec is also the most taxed place in North America. I find this rather odd since U.S. states are responsible for much more than Canadian provinces but collect less tax and there is no such thing as equalization payments in the U.S.. We also have much higher sales taxes with all provinces except Alberta having 10% or higher sales tax rate, Quebec has the highest at 14.975%. I would also like to let you know our public services like education and healthcare are of all high quality in every province with little discrepancy. Here is a calculator. Alberta is our lowest tax province (most of the time) with it's flat 10% tax and Quebec is the highest.

Note: These are solely income tax, no Pension Plan deductions or EI payments included.

Pension Plan?? We get a pyramid scheme known as Social Security.

Yes the Canada Pension Plan is basically like U.S. Social Security but the government can't use the money.

Yes it it us but we still had to raise the retirement age and raise contributions. If you don't mind posting would you be paying more, less or the same taxes as you do in your state even though I assume lower since your from Texas. Qubec must be unimaginable for you since it is basically identical to federal tax rates and the highest I could get was 50%.

We here in Texas have a 8.25% sales taxes (for local, county and state together), no state income tax and low business taxes.

It's helped us through the rough economy and lured business here.

We here in Texas have a 8.25% sales taxes (for local, county and state together), no state income tax and low business taxes.

To my understanding you also don't have many services to pay for either. Our smaller provinces receive equalization payments form wealthier provinces or in Quebec's case a quirk in the equation (if applied in the United States Texas would get the same) to provide equal quality of service in all provinces.

We get higher levels of corruption and more potholes for our extra taxes. these things cost money!

Texas doesn't have a very great public education system and universal healthcare along with providing much more public infrastructure and housing than Texas. The provinces also have safety nets and other social services.

We get higher levels of corruption and more potholes for our extra taxes. these things cost money!

We have less corruption then the U.S. does and they are pretty good with roads except where the potholes are, really they repaved practically the entire highway up to Sudbury but can't fix much else. We also really do have much better public services then the U.S..

We have less corruption then the U.S. does and they are pretty good with roads except where the potholes are, really they repaved practically the entire highway up to Sudbury but can't fix much else.

Try driving around Montreal
pothole-season.jpg

Texas doesn't have a very great public education system and universal healthcare along with providing much more public infrastructure and housing than Texas. The provinces also have safety nets and other social services.

We pay for our public schools through property taxes within the individual school systems along with a per student federal inclusion.

Here's our budget so you can see where the money goes:

Expenditure History by Function 1978-2011

Municipalities typically deal with those and Montreal and Toronto are rather busy dealing with crack allegations and corruption. We do not have the most confident municipal governments.

Montreal has always had pothole problems, come to think of it they have always had corruption problems to (on a grand scale can anyone say the big O) its just ATM there is a little circus going on where people are talking about the corruption and pretending that they are going to do something about it

People want universal healthcare, they have to pay for it. That is a huge reason why Canada and European countries pay much more taxes than the US.

We pay for our public schools through property taxes within the individual school systems along with a per student federal inclusion.

Here's our budget so you can see where the money goes:

Expenditure History by Function 1978-2011

What is that money doing? How do you spend so much on healthcare but still have some of the least accessible healthcare in the U.S.. At least you have nice percents we do not. My quick probably incorrect estimates estimate our educations pending at about 1/5 of the budget (which is a deficit) of Ontario our largest province but still smaller than Texas by quite a bit.

Last edited:
Montreal has always had pothole problems, come to think of it they have always had corruption problems to (on a grand scale can anyone say the big O) its just ATM there is a little circus going on where people are talking about the corruption and pretending that they are going to do something about it

Well alot o have been arrested so I would cal that a reduction, the last mayor of Montreal stepped down because of sex allegations not corruption. The Quebec police have arrested many Quebec politicians including prominent ones.

Your view of "high quality" in health care is not consistent with the reality of many in your country; it is YOUR VIEW and not that of everyone. Again your view of the public education system is not shared either by everyone. So when you pass along "your view" remember its not everyone elses view. You shared your experience and belief but I have friends and family in Canada that call your health care system a fraud and scam, people come to America so they don't have to wait for services. Also there are students in Canada trying hard to get to American universities because the Canadian one's are not to their liking or they don't have the curriculum or quality of professors - that part I don't know - but what I do know is "YOUR VIEW" and the reality are not the same for many, many people in Canada.

In the US, at least where I live, the Federal government's contribution to education (K - 12) is just a token gesture. For my local school district, 80% is funded by property taxes (which is bull****, IMO), 19% by the state and 1% by the federal government.

Your view of "high quality" in health care is not consistent with the reality of many in your country; it is YOUR VIEW and not that of everyone. Again your view of the public education system is not shared either by everyone. So when you pass along "your view" remember its not everyone elses view. You shared your experience and belief but I have friends and family in Canada that call your health care system a fraud and scam, people come to America so they don't have to wait for services. Also there are students in Canada trying hard to get to American universities because the Canadian one's are not to their liking or they don't have the curriculum or quality of professors - that part I don't know - but what I do know is "YOUR VIEW" and the reality are not the same for many, many people in Canada.

I do not anyone who has ever gone to the United States for medical care a large majority of Canadians like their healthcare system, about a year ago the Conservatives said they would cut healthcare their poll numbers dropped in an almost vertical line they immediately gave up on that plan. The parties also wouldn't be able to get votes by saying they will spend more on healthcare. Most students do not go to American universities there is no one in my graduating class who has even applied to an American university, our universities are some of the best in the world and in Canada we can actually afford to go to university especially Qubeckers who have it heavily subsidized. We are also one of the top destinations for foreign students. All of our modern prime minsters were educated in Canada and most of them came form public schools and they send their kids to public school. Harper sends his daughter to public school. Even the wealthy send their kids to public school in Canada and private schools are rare.

Last edited:

Since 43% of United States Federal income tax filers pay no Federal income tax, I'm assuming yours are higher. Just a WAG, though.

Very high property tax though!

Mr. Ponzi sent me $2,177.00 last month. It sure is lonely at the top.
imgres.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom