• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are American Income Taxes Too High When Compared To Canada?

$2,275.00
Avg. 1.81% of home value
Tax amount varies by county

In Canada the avrage rate I think is 2.5% but varies widely depending on where you are. Could be almost none (<1%) like where I live or 4% in some regions.

Taxes in America are not high enough. Also the minimum wage should be $15 an hour with a month's guaranteed vacation and 1 1/2 times base pay for anything worked more than 40 hours in a week. Hours worked on a Holiday should be paid at a 2 1/2 times base rate. The Republicans have fed us a major dose of horse **** over the last thirty years which has resulted in the disappearance of our middle class. We are headed toward a Lord/Serf society....which coincidently is a Republican's dream.

I believe that a 15$ minimum wage would be a horrible idea in the Southern States that could could buy you a fair amount to my understanding while it will buy you much less in the Northern States.

In my view, Canada's income tax system is much fairer than that in the US - although Obama likes to bleat about the richest Americans not paying their fair share, the top 10% in the US pay about 70% of all federal income taxes - in Canada, that number is just over 40%.

Canadians, as a whole, are much more invested in the services that we fund through taxation so we are, therefore, much more diligent in ensuring that those taxes are imposed more broadly across the population and we are more diligent in ensuring that less of our tax dollars are wasted unnecessarily. We don't always succeed, but we do try.

The Senate being one of those places where it just goes down a black hole never to be seen again.

I stopped reading this thread when the OP bragged about the quality of Canadian health care. I assume everything past that is also satirical.

I paid in approximately $180K. At $25K a year, I will break even in 8 years. Allowing for the absence of interest and the loss of buying power, I figure 16 years rto a true break-even. I started at 67 so I have to live to 85 to collect a total that would be a true break-even. But FWIW, my Mother lived to 93 and only died by her own DNR instructions. My Father died of old age at 100. So, sadly, I'm at risk of living quite a long time despite my best efforts to shorten this period.

But here's the thing. I happen to have savings and I earn a small amount of income from my rental units. So, if I had no savings and no rental units, I would have to live on $2177 a month. I believe I could easily do that. Now, I provide assistance to others because I care about them and I can. But that's my personal decision. So, all in all, I have no regrets and I think that SS worked as intended, at least in my case.

Now, my ex-wife gets $930 a month from SS which she tok at 62 and even then it would be lower except the adjustment against my SS account (if you're married for 10 years, the divorce doesn't count). So, she's just a few dollars too high for Medicaid and if I wasn't such a noble idiot who provides her a house, a cqr and $500 monthly, she'd be struggling but she probably could survive.

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Wonder what you could have done with that money otherwise?

What is that money doing? How do you spend so much on healthcare but still have some of the least accessible healthcare in the U.S.. At least you have nice percents we do not. My quick probably incorrect estimates estimate our educations pending at about 1/5 of the budget (which is a deficit) of Ontario our largest province but still smaller than Texas by quite a bit.

Our healthcare is plenty accessible as long as you pay for it.

I don't know how accurate your costs really are but we're also not really getting the same thing.

I do not anyone who has ever gone to the United States for medical care

Danny Williams? Belinda Stronach? Robert Bourassa?

Most students do not go to American universities there is no one in my graduating class who has even applied to an American university, our universities are some of the best in the world and in Canada we can actually afford to go to university especially Qubeckers who have it heavily subsidized. We are also one of the top destinations for foreign students.

It doesn't really show in any ranking system that I'm aware of.

The United States pretty much dominates all international college rankings. We made up 40% of this years The Higher Education's top 100 whereas Canadians made up 5% of the top 100. USNews and World Report basically shows the exact same.

Last edited:
The amount you pay for your health insurance is a lot more than I pay in taxes for universal healthcare.

I only pay $36/month for health insurance, so your taxes are low!

Danny Williams? Belinda Stronach? Robert Bourassa?

It doesn't really sure in any ranking system that I'm aware of.

The United States pretty much dominates all international college rankings. We made up 40% of this years The Higher Education's top 100 whereas Canadians made up 5% of the top 100. USNews and World Report basically shows the exact same.

I think it is pretty good considering the number of universities we have compared to other countries is rather small. With those people they are not exactly well known in Canada and also there are some things we can't do in Canada especially new and very rare surgeries because the U.S. has 10x the number of doctors and researchers to dedicate to medical research. For almost everything else including almost all cancer treatment people stay in Canada. I don't knwo anyone who has done it personally and actually prominent politicians.

Our healthcare is plenty accessible as long as you pay for it.

I don't know how accurate your costs really are but we're also not really getting the same thing.

That's not accessible and the issue not everyone has equal access and your healthcare is really expensive, universal healthcare allows reduction in costs and equal access.

That's not accessible and the issue not everyone has equal access and your healthcare is really expensive, universal healthcare allows reduction in costs and equal access.

I've never once seen or heard of anyone getting kicked out of a hospital untreated if they couldn't pay in the US, so it is accessible to everyone.

I've never once seen or heard of anyone getting kicked out of a hospital untreated if they couldn't pay in the US, so it is accessible to everyone.

Your not kicked out but you are forced to pay ludicrous costs because of it and what is someone needs very expensive surgery but their family has no chance of affording it and insurance will not cover it or not all of it.

Your not kicked out but you are forced to pay ludicrous costs because of it and what is someone needs very expensive surgery but their family has no chance of affording it and insurance will not cover it or not all of it.

Charity.

And reduction in market choices, market innovation, etc.

Healthcare is absurdly accessible, I would like to see you justify that it's not. Even in the raging healthcare debates prior to Obamacare, it was clear that access was available and people simply DO NOT CHOOSE TO PURCHASE IT.

When people are free, they often do not make choices that others want them to make. Including carrying insurance. You can claim it's because it's inaccessible, but you'd need to back it up. Some people really believed that and tried it out in Howard county. Read here:

Healthy Howard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Healthy Howard is a county-sponsored health care program offered to certain uninsured residents of Howard County, Maryland. The program, which provides doctors visits and prescription drugs, has been nationally hailed as a model to offer health care to local lower income people without health insurance.[1]

The program has shown to be difficult to sell, falling below expectations. Initially, the county had presumed that they would need to hold a lottery to determine which of the county's 15,000 uninsured residents would be getting its 2,200 slots.[7]

It was found that many when they attempted to sign up for the Healthy Howard program were actually eligible for other health care programs.

Even when they stack on marketing campaigns and very affordable prices, they find not only do people not sign up, many that do were ALREADY ELIGIBLE for other (free or cheaper) health care programs (!).

Please revise your understanding of this unless you've got some compelling counter evidence.

Are you claiming our "ludicrous" health care costs are MORE or LESS ludicrous than your high tax rates? I would think the net-ludicrosity rating would be what matters (totally made that word up on purpose).

Likewise! ;)

Or you could have opened a bordello that offered high quality Mary Jane for sale.

Closer to the truth than you realize.....:3oops:

And reduction in market choices, market innovation, etc.

Healthcare is absurdly accessible, I would like to see you justify that it's not. Even in the raging healthcare debates prior to Obamacare, it was clear that access was available and people simply DO NOT CHOOSE TO PURCHASE IT.

When people are free, they often do not make choices that others want them to make. Including carrying insurance. You can claim it's because it's inaccessible, but you'd need to back it up. Some people really believed that and tried it out in Howard county. Read here:

Healthy Howard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even when they stack on marketing campaigns and very affordable prices, they find not only do people not sign up, many that do were ALREADY ELIGIBLE for other (free or cheaper) health care programs (!).

Please revise your understanding of this unless you've got some compelling counter evidence.

It doe snot lead to less market innovation it encourages it, since an entire sate/country is negotiating the costs go down. A sate has more negotiating power than as single person allowing them to ask for more when negotiating with companies they can say either you make your product cheaper and better than your competitor or we are buying form them and since they are buying possibly millions of whatever the company produces the businesses are inclined to make their products cheaper and better than they would otherwise. You can significantly reduce the cost of healthcare.

I haven't seen anything that makes me believe "universal healthcare" allows reduction in costs.

It looks to me like offering a bad healthcare product leads to those reductions in costs but I'm not sure I believe yours is cheaper anyway.

Are you claiming our "ludicrous" health care costs are MORE or LESS ludicrous than your high tax rates? I would think the net-ludicrosity rating would be what matters (totally made that word up on purpose).

They are less ludicrous than your healthcare costs, considering our taxes pay for hell of a lot more and we spend less on healthcare than the U.S..

I haven't seen anything that makes me believe "universal healthcare" allows reduction in costs.

It looks to me like offering a bad healthcare product leads to those reductions in costs but I'm not sure I believe yours is cheaper anyway.

Every developed country in the world pays significantly less per captia on healthcare than the U.S. and almost any organization/survey will say that the U.S> pales in comparison to other countries.

Why are US healthcare costs a concern for Canadians anyway? :dunno:

Back
Top Bottom