• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Are all Star Wars Fans geeks?

GySgt said:
The Frankenstein Scene was necessary to show us what was under the suit and to show us why Anakin didn't look for Padme and his children.

The "romantic" dialogue was crap in Episode II also. Lucas isn't known for his romantic dialogue skills. The rest of the dialogue was very dramatic and well done.

Not when Obi Wan Kenobi says "only the sith deal in absolutes" That's stupid dialogue.

Are you kidding? That statement was awesome. It defines totalitarianism and dictatorship as being like a Sith. It also let's the audience know that Obi-Wan, at that moment, realized that he had lost Anakin to the Sith even though he saw the recording and heard what Yoda said about it earlier.

Only on weekends and weekdays. I even have my own phone line. I use it to call the Kremlin and laugh at Communism. Way to stand up for failure, pal.

Last edited:
GySgt, are you still in the Marines? Advice for you: Regarding Star Wars--Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

Yep. I must admit....I'm quite the Star Wars loyalist. You see...it's all in the terminology. Geeks are the ones that can't spell loyalist. :lol:

By the way...I live alone.

GySgt said:
Are you kidding? That statement was awesome. It defines totalitarianism and dictatorship as being like a Sith. It also let's the audience know that Obi-Wan, at that moment, realized that he had lost Anakin to the Sith even though he saw the recording and heard what Yoda said about it earlier.

No,

Absolutes
1. Something that is absolute.
2. Absolute Philosophy.
1. Something regarded as the ultimate basis of all thought and being. Used with the.
2. Something regarded as independent of and unrelated to anything else.
(Dictionary.com)

From what I got from that scene Obi Wan is saying "only the sith deal in absolutes", of only BAD, never good. I find that to be untrue, that would mean only the Jedi deal in absolute good. The problem with this is (using Emperor Palpatines great quote) "Good is only a point of view", you can't do an absolute good in everyone's perspective... so, some may view the Jedi dealings as bad, take Anakin for example.

I see your point, but I also see it as a way of saying that by having absolutes...he leaves no room for diplomacy, middle ground, or understanding.

The "good" side would seek peace before having to draw a line. That's why they have a council and a senate.

Last edited:
but the Jedi doesn't deal with the Senate or Political happenings, they just protect them. Which is why the Sith had it easy to overtake the Jedi, for the Sith do whatever means are necessary for their victory over the Jedi. Though not intending for political dominance, it just happened that way for the Sith.

The Sith went after the Jedi through the Senate. They used lies, deceit, and sneakyness to ambush them. Tactics, the Jedi don't use. That's why they were over come. They didn't see it coming.

It's easy to fool someone and sneak up behind them. It's harder to face them.

One quick question, why does a group who can predict the future.. or *sense* the future, rely on prophecies to make decisions?

I wonder what would happen if Palpatines' plan worked from the beginning, with the successful invasion and occupation of Naboo.. I'll work this out later and see how well it'll match up.

Well, the Sith have to be sneaky, it's two Sith VS an order of Jedi with a side of Senate. In the end, the dark side is obviously stronger for manipulation while the light side is stronger in protection. They have to use what they do best and in the end protection beats manipulation?

I don't know. Even Yoda said to Luke that it is hard to "predict" the future, because it is always in motion.

Naboo was a way for Senator Palpatine to get a chance to get rid of Chancelor Velorum and take control of the Senate. It was part of his plan.

The Sith isn't stronger as proven in Return of the Jedi. The Jedi were spread all over the galaxy and were ambushed. The Senate was already somewhat corrupt. Palpatine just orchestraded everything from Episode I to his favor.

(I know where you are trying to steer this. They're just movies. Not a mirror image of current events.) The story actually has always very much resembled Hitler's rise to power as a dictator. Hitler gained power through the German Senate and gained a following by blaming Germany's problems on a commonly "looked down upon" people (Jews). After being voted into office, he built an army and declared dictator rule and ordered all other political parties disbanded. The people elected their own evil ruler....much like Palpatine. They didn't know it until it was too late.

Last edited:
Obi-Wan said:
I saw the newest star wars preview last nite and it looks to be the best of the entire saga. I love Star Wars but don't get into all the books and alter story lines. Some say if you like the movies you are a geek. I say not!
Are ALL Star Wars fans geeks? What do you have to say?

I saw the final movie last weekend with my grandson. It was good enough, although I did find it a little weak plot wise. It seems to me that George Lucas basically fed a plot in and among fight scenes, but that the fight scenes are the most important part of the movie. I was very disappointed in the character development of Star Wars I, II, and III. IMNSHO, we "knew" Luke Skywalker and Han Solo much better than we know Anakin or ObiWan or any of the other characters from the prequels.

Are all Star Wars fans geeks. True fans - those who dressed up in costumes and waited all night in parking lots to see the last installment - absolutely they are geeks. But for those of us who just went to be entertained - no, we just liked the movie.

BTW - my son and daughter-in-law fall into the "geek" category. Sadly enough, they're turning my grandson into a geek too. He's 4 years old and walks around "power pushing" people (who aren't even there ;) )

GySgt said:
By the way...I live alone.

That's not much better than living with your parents.
If you're in University/College then it'd be qiet alright living with your girlfriend, or a woman period :lol: . However, you living alone explains much about your fixation with Star Wars, something to watch while you're sitting on the couch, all...AAALOOOOONEEEE. :sinking:

GySgt said:
I don't know. Even Yoda said to Luke that it is hard to "predict" the future, because it is always in motion.

Naboo was a way for Senator Palpatine to get a chance to get rid of Chancelor Velorum and take control of the Senate. It was part of his plan.

The Sith isn't stronger as proven in Return of the Jedi. The Jedi were spread all over the galaxy and were ambushed. The Senate was already somewhat corrupt. Palpatine just orchestraded everything from Episode I to his favor.

(I know where you are trying to steer this. They're just movies. Not a mirror image of current events.) The story actually has always very much resembled Hitler's rise to power as a dictator. Hitler gained power through the German Senate and gained a following by blaming Germany's problems on a commonly "looked down upon" people (Jews). After being voted into office, he built an army and declared dictator rule and ordered all other political parties disbanded. The people elected their own evil ruler....much like Palpatine. They didn't know it until it was too late.

Yet the Jedi were always held in high self-esteem before the rise of the dark-side. Palpatine didn't exactly blame the Jedi for the Republic's problems, he manipulated the Jedi into turning them against him and since the common people in that Galaxy couldn't care less between Sith and Jedi, they saw this as just a political move to overthrow the Republic and make a Galactic Empire for their selves.

If Palpatine would have succeeded in the plot against Naboo, then the 2nd Movie wouldn't exist. A War would have broken out and Palpatine could easily gain access to the leadership of the Republic. He would have been considered an extremely valuable aide in the war efforts against the Trade Federation and their allies, for he commanded their war efforts. There would have been a reform of the Republic because it wasn't able to halt the Trade Federation's hostile acts. Palpatine would have brought in an Army of the Republic, settle an agreement with the Trade Federation Vice-Roy. That gives him an Empire. Economic success from the Trade Federation, an army, and a people to rule.

Very cleared.

I have a friend who likes to dress up as Darth Vader when she gets down to it with her boyfriend.If that's not geeky I don't know what is!
She's obsessed with star wars and that guy who plays Anakin/Vader is in danger of being seriously molested by her if she ever meets him.

Last edited:
Asian-American said:
I like the old 70's Star Wars, but don't care for the new ones: too much post-modernism and new-age thinking for my taste.

I also liked Howard the Duck, Independence Day, and Men in Black, and The Thirteenth Floor.
I thought the original trilogy was fantastic,I was eleven in 1977 and it was incredible for the era,not much time for the subsequent movies though.Have'nt seen the new one yet,I hope it's better.
You actually liked Howard the Duck?

Last edited:
Last year, my roommate received a magazine called "Anachronism: News from the West Kingdom".

I held the magazine up and said "What the hell is this?"

He said, "I just want to see what's going on in the other territories...I'm actually from the Kingdom of Atlantia".

I handed him the mgazine and said, "This conversation is over"...and walked away...

cnredd said:
Last year, my roommate received a magazine called "Anachronism: News from the West Kingdom".

I held the magazine up and said "What the hell is this?"

He said, "I just want to see what's going on in the other territories...I'm actually from the Kingdom of Atlantia".

I handed him the mgazine and said, "This conversation is over"...and walked away...

I worked with a guy who swore we didn't go to the moon.

I saw the newest star wars preview last nite and it looks to be the best of the entire saga. I love Star Wars but don't get into all the books and alter story lines. Some say if you like the movies you are a geek. I say not!
Are ALL Star Wars fans geeks? What do you have to say?

If you go to one of those nerd conventions where you ask actors about the story line or to get their autograph,have a starwars screen saver on your computer,dress up in starwars costums,a member of a starwars discusion board or your user name is starwars character then yes you are a geek.

Well I would personally have to say No. Because I for a fact am not a geek. And to further the conversation Geeks work with computers(Like the Geek squad for Best Buy) and nerds I think are sci Fi. I may have herd that wrong but any ways yeah.

Aaron said:
Well I would personally have to say No. Because I for a fact am not a geek. And to further the conversation Geeks work with computers(Like the Geek squad for Best Buy) and nerds I think are sci Fi. I may have herd that wrong but any ways yeah.

I can't say that I rightly agree with your idea of the difference of geeks and nerds. More-so. .. Best Buy coined their techs with the name Geek squad not because they are really geeks, but because the public relates geeks to computer knowledge.

In fact... CompUSA has a anti geek-squad ad running within their stores and advertisements... <no geeks here only professionals> does this mean that their techs are not geeks but professionals?

which in turn.. ( funny/sadly enough) has not only on both
sides brought forth offended customers, reiterates the need for "coined phrases"...

on another note... if you run into a person that you would consider a geek/nerd.. have you ever asked them what they consider themselves... further what they consider the difference is .. and whether or not its really that important?

further.. why is it that you don't consider yourself a geek?

jamesrage said:
If you go to one of those nerd conventions where you ask actors about the story line or to get their autograph,have a starwars screen saver on your computer,dress up in starwars costums,a member of a starwars discusion board or your user name is starwars character then yes you are a geek.

Haha. I would say if you were to do those things you surpass... 'geek' and run into fanatic!

:lol: not that that is a horrible thing to be...

i mean, there are worst things than star wars to be fanatics about.

Back
Top Bottom