• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Are all Religions being Destoyed?

Are All Religions being destroyed?

• YES

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • NO

Votes: 12 92.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Windy

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Look around you.
The Media is full of it.
No matter what religion you are..
somewhere in the world today the media seem to be having a go at you.
Look at the postings in the forums does it not seem ;that before these
people can do what they like they have to destroy our institutions?
Seems to me that people of any religion should stick together for that
reason.

Which people do you mean ?

In Britain they have just banned crosses from hospitals because it could offend ethnic minorities. The state are trying to remove religion so that religion will not be a threat in the government imposing iron rule on the people. Non complementary religious belief has always been a threat to dictatorships. If a nation is not supported by religion then it will oppose it. Now capitalist states are beginning to take this stance.

slim said:
In Britain they have just banned crosses from hospitals because it could offend ethnic minorities. The state are trying to remove religion so that religion will not be a threat in the government imposing iron rule on the people. Non complementary religious belief has always been a threat to dictatorships. If a nation is not supported by religion then it will oppose it. Now capitalist states are beginning to take this stance.

I feel that if we hold religious beliefs of any kind; we should be prepared to stand together.
We have far more in common than we all think.
If we dont swim together..we will certainly all sink together.

:cool:

Windy said:
I feel that if we hold religious beliefs of any kind; we should be prepared to stand together.
We have far more in common than we all think.
If we dont swim together..we will certainly all sink together.

:applaud I totally agree. You couldn't have said it better.

Thead question:

"Are all Religions beging Destroyed?"

My responce:

Not fast enough!

Ok, sorry, that was callous.

Well I must respond with a question myself.

By asking if they are "being destroyed" do you mean their core ideals/dogma or how they react to modern issues?

Religion being destroyed?
That's a laugh. Look at Islam one of the biggest religion membership ever. 1 Billion+ I believe. Chrisitans in America are still Christians. The only people that are secularist (SP?) in the world are the Europeans. The most religious country in Europe I believe. Is spain. With 98% OF THE population being baptize (sp again?) and out those 98% only 20% go to church every Sunday. Even though the country SPain has more liberal values and secularist values than Conserative religious ones.

JustineCredible said:
Thead question:

My responce:

Not fast enough!

Ok, sorry, that was callous.

Well I must respond with a question myself.

By asking if they are "being destroyed" do you mean their core ideals/dogma or how they react to modern issues?

Those are very good questions Justin..
I would answer yes, yes and yes.
Judging by your first part of your answer I would consider that to be
partly proof of what I see as the destruction of Religion.
It is not only from outside sources:but from within, as people try
to change Gods rules; to suit fashion rather than remain the same and
show some stability in our lives.
People do not like constant change it makes life uncertain, and gives no boundaries to stick to.
I believe our societies worldwide are in turmoil because of this. :cool:

Windy said:
Those are very good questions Justin..
I would answer yes, yes and yes.
Judging by your first part of your answer I would consider that to be
partly proof of what I see as the destruction of Religion.
It is not only from outside sources:but from within, as people try
to change Gods rules; to suit fashion rather than remain the same and
show some stability in our lives.
People do not like constant change it makes life uncertain, and gives no boundaries to stick to.
I believe our societies worldwide are in turmoil because of this. :cool:

First, it's Justine (with an "e").

Secondly: are you then suggesting that we all (each person regardless of familial religious backgroud) adhere only to what you deem as the true orthodoxy?
Which religion would that be?

No, sorry, but that doesn't really fly all that well by me, nor does it work all too well in our nation.

Well, think about it this way, how many former religions are now considered mythology? The Greek and Roman gods, Mithraism, etc. Sometimes they die out with the people as was with the Aztecs, sometimes they're co-opted into other religions, or a new religion is replaced by an old one via governmental force (see Christianity).

It amazes me that people who are not ignorant of history and religion still chose to believe it.

JustineCredible said:
Thead question:

My responce:

Not fast enough!

Oh darn.. you beat me to it.... I wanted to say that.

As long as religions try to worm their way into the everyday workings of everyones life to the point of destroying civil liberties it will be a defense of those attacked to respond in kind. You don't see organized defense against Buddhism or Wiccanism, they got the idea of live and let live down pat. Christianity is the most destructive religion in the chronicles of human history . It must have poor god turning over in his grave.

Are all religions being destroyed?

I would have to say with the exception of the Tibetan Buddhists, no.

It does seem, however, that religions are continuing to migrate away from what they originally claimed to stand for. I don't know if you consider that to be "destroyed." Economically and numbers wise, they seem to be doing better than ever. And as far as attempting to dictate and/or influence policy in the US, they seem to be doing pretty well too.

shuamort said:
Well, think about it this way, how many former religions are now considered mythology? The Greek and Roman gods, Mithraism, etc. Sometimes they die out with the people as was with the Aztecs, sometimes they're co-opted into other religions, or a new religion is replaced by an old one via governmental force (see Christianity).

It amazes me that people who are not ignorant of history and religion still chose to believe it.
I think those religions still have followers (I'm at least sure there is some modern form of the Greek/Roman.) Unless I'm mistaken the term for the stories from any religion is mythology. For example the story about Noah's Arc would be Judeo-Christian mythology.

YamiB. said:
I think those religions still have followers (I'm at least sure there is some modern form of the Greek/Roman.) Unless I'm mistaken the term for the stories from any religion is mythology. For example the story about Noah's Arc would be Judeo-Christian mythology.

Hey, let's not forget Moses and Methusela's ages there too.

Supposedly Moses lived to be 120 years old.

Supposedly Methusela lived to be 969 years old!

Since we know this is impossible, well at least with respect to Methusela. Moses could be able to live to that age today, but back then? Seriously doubtful.

JustineCredible said:
Hey, let's not forget Moses and Methusela's ages there too.

Supposedly Moses lived to be 120 years old.

Supposedly Methusela lived to be 969 years old!

Since we know this is impossible, well at least with respect to Methusela. Moses could be able to live to that age today, but back then? Seriously doubtful.

Justine, with all due respect, why are you trying to justify the absurdity of age using a ROMAN calender that was made a couple of thousand years AFTER Methusela...

Might it ever occur to you that what a "year" is now was probably called something very different and had a different time frame?

What if a "year" back then was 1 moon cycle? That would have put Methusela at about 81 "present" years old...Still a gigantic number at that time.

You can't be THAT close-minded, can you?

cnredd said:
Justine, with all due respect, why are you trying to justify the absurdity of age using a ROMAN calender that was made a couple of thousand years AFTER Methusela...

Might it ever occur to you that what a "year" is now was probably called something very different and had a different time frame?

What if a "year" back then was 1 moon cycle? That would have put Methusela at about 81 "present" years old...Still a gigantic number at that time.

You can't be THAT close-minded, can you?

Oh my, touched a nerve there did I?

I'm well aware of the calendar differences, but what bothers me still is that in every translation of the Bible, this error has never been corrected.

It's not that I'm closed minded at all, it's more so that all too many who read the Bible tend to take each word literally and are unaware of this difference in time calculation.

JustineCredible said:
Oh my, touched a nerve there did I?

I'm well aware of the calendar differences, but what bothers me still is that in every translation of the Bible, this error has never been corrected.

It's not that I'm closed minded at all, it's more so that all too many who read the Bible tend to take each word literally and are unaware of this difference in time calculation.

In terms of religion, you haven't touched a nerve. As I've stated before...I'm 35 and haven't been to a non-edding or non-funeral mass since high school.

You touched a nerve on debating, though.

Look at the thread headline...Are all Religions being Destoyed?

And the topic has been whittled down to a guy's age.

I feel dirty that I had commented on it...

The truth is that Islam and christianity are growing at an very fast rate. Christianity in the USA is growing in record numbers. It cracks me up when christians complain about being pushed and held back. it is plain BushShit

I am christian, and I go to church and prayer for the World to be saved from Bush and the Fascists. :doh

lamaror said:
I am christian, and I go to church and prayer for the World to be saved from Bush and the Fascists. :doh

And God looks down and says , "Geez...what a douchebag".

JustineCredible said:
First, it's Justine (with an "e").

Secondly: are you then suggesting that we all (each person regardless of familial religious backgroud) adhere only to what you deem as the true orthodoxy?
Which religion would that be?

No, sorry, but that doesn't really fly all that well by me, nor does it work all too well in our nation.

Sorry for missing the 'e' justine
I am suggesting that ALL religions are being destroyed.
I did not say that my way was right.
I feel as many do; that religion is being destroyed to make
way for other factions in the 'NEW ORDER'
One system cannot stand whilst the other exists.
All over the World we are seeing a massive revolution
the old institutions are falling one by one.
Religion maybe one of the next to go.
Whatever religion you or your Friends are it may not be around
to long.

dogger807 said:
Christianity is the most destructive religion in the chronicles of human history . It must have poor god turning over in his grave.

But haven't you the ability to seperate those who call themselves Christian from those who act as Christians?

sebastiansdreams said:
But haven't you the ability to seperate those who call themselves Christian from those who act as Christians?

Difficult one that - how would you do it?

Firstly, by seeing how closely a person acts like Christ. And I don't necessarly mean the passive prophet that some make Him out to be. Nor do I necessarly mean the table turning revolutionary either. But rather, the mix between the two. The person that is unsatisfied with the state the world is in, but is willing to change things through love and faith.

sebastiansdreams said:
Firstly, by seeing how closely a person acts like Christ. And I don't necessarly mean the passive prophet that some make Him out to be. Nor do I necessarly mean the table turning revolutionary either. But rather, the mix between the two. The person that is unsatisfied with the state the world is in, but is willing to change things through love and faith.

JESUS said 'By their fruits shall ye know them'
Christ never killed, or lied, he only ever did good.
He loved his enemies, and told us to do the same.
I see little evedence of this in any religion
I see even less in Politics.

Windy said:
JESUS said 'By their fruits shall ye know them'
Christ never killed, or lied, he only ever did good.
He loved his enemies, and told us to do the same.
I see little evedence of this in any religion
I see even less in Politics.

Hell hath frozen over! Naughty agrees with a statement (in bold above) made by Windy!

But I think that was precisely the point that Sebastian has been making in his last couple of posts.

Back
Top Bottom