• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are airlines like the GOP?

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
For those not old enough to remember, flying was a pleasure. You walked up to the counter, told them where you wanted to go and then paid in cash. Luggage, no problem, smoker, no problem, drinker no problem. Hungry, no problem.

And into the plane you went. Seats that actually reclined and had legroom. You got a towel, headphones if you wanted, a pillow, a meal, drinks free, a whole can of soda and you could smoke on the plane. Slowly but surely one by one, those things started disappearing until we have what we have today.

The GOP for all their talk of fiscal and personal responsibility are clearly showing they don't really walk the walk. Family values now means voting for a person whose been married three times and all of that is ok. What's not ok, like airlines they try to impose their will on others with laws while they claim they want less government intrusion. I think if the religious right could, people like pence would impose christian law on america. No more government, bible rule. The right loves passing laws trying like hell to impose their idea of moral on all others. They gerrymander, they try to pass laws against voters they don't want showing up at the polls. North Carolina this past election hit a new all time low with their antics to get a republican winner. No low anymore is low enough, anything to win. It's not about governing for the right, it's about control.

I'm done.

For those not old enough to remember, flying was a pleasure. You walked up to the counter, told them where you wanted to go and then paid in cash. Luggage, no problem, smoker, no problem, drinker no problem. Hungry, no problem.

And into the plane you went. Seats that actually reclined and had legroom. You got a towel, headphones if you wanted, a pillow, a meal, drinks free, a whole can of soda and you could smoke on the plane. Slowly but surely one by one, those things started disappearing until we have what we have today.

The GOP for all their talk of fiscal and personal responsibility are clearly showing they don't really walk the walk. Family values now means voting for a person whose been married three times and all of that is ok. What's not ok, like airlines they try to impose their will on others with laws while they claim they want less government intrusion. I think if the religious right could, people like pence would impose christian law on america. No more government, bible rule. The right loves passing laws trying like hell to impose their idea of moral on all others. They gerrymander, they try to pass laws against voters they don't want showing up at the polls. North Carolina this past election hit a new all time low with their antics to get a republican winner. No low anymore is low enough, anything to win. It's not about governing for the right, it's about control.

I'm done.
Red:
  • Superficially, in terms of the gradual denial of things, yes.
  • In substance, no. The airlines gradual denial of "rights and privileges" were mostly borne of very carefully conducted case studies, economic net impact analysis. What the GOP has been doing of late is nothing other than promoting and implementing "tits on a bull" policies that have little or no economically net positive sage case militating for their effectuation.

I'm done.

Sometimes ya just gotta vent :2wave:

Red:
  • Superficially, in terms of the gradual denial of things, yes.
  • In substance, no. The airlines gradual denial of "rights and privileges" were mostly borne of very carefully conducted case studies, economic net impact analysis. What the GOP has been doing of late is nothing other than promoting and implementing "tits on a bull" policies that have little or no economically net positive sage case militating for their effectuation.

Your analysis is flawed.

The gop is a political org so its policies should be evaluated on the political return they produce and not the economic returns.

I'm done.

Flying was a lot more expensive then before deregulation removed minimum ticket price requirements.

We've created the hell of flying (not including security checks here) by reflexively racing for the cheapest seats available, thereby creating a race to the bottom in terms of the overall quality of flying.

I'm done.

Sorry, but the airlines will not get better, because of the consumer. A consumer will pull up a flight for sale, and will nearly always choose the cheaper carrier...even if it is a few dollars less. That fact does not change. There have been several attempts at higher class service with fewer seats, and they have all failed (McClain, MGM Grand Air, Midwest Express, Air One, Eos, Regency, etc) When you chose to fly on Allegiant or Frontier because you are saving a few bucks, you are just ensuring you will get cheap fares and crappy seats and service.

Both the airlines and the Republican Party are less appealing than they used to be. Other than that, comparing the two things is a bit of a stretch.

I'm done.

I totally understand why your username is bongsaway. That about says it all.

I'm done.

So the OPer is complaining that smoking is prohibited on airliners and wants ticket prices increased to pay for free stuff they paid for that people may or may not want - and Rogue Valley and Haymaker agree. Curious. Worth remembering.

Sorry, but the airlines will not get better, because of the consumer. A consumer will pull up a flight for sale, and will nearly always choose the cheaper carrier...even if it is a few dollars less. That fact does not change. There have been several attempts at higher class service with fewer seats, and they have all failed (McClain, MGM Grand Air, Midwest Express, Air One, Eos, Regency, etc) When you chose to fly on Allegiant or Frontier because you are saving a few bucks, you are just ensuring you will get cheap fares and crappy seats and service.

You left off Jet Blue, which I will never, ever fly on again.

Flying was a lot more expensive then before deregulation removed minimum ticket price requirements.

We've created the hell of flying (not including security checks here) by reflexively racing for the cheapest seats available, thereby creating a race to the bottom in terms of the overall quality of flying.

Way back in the day with a student fair I could fly from boston to philly for fourteen bucks.

Way back in the day with a student fair I could fly from boston to philly for fourteen bucks.

Which was only possible when all the other fares were much higher.

So the OPer is complaining that smoking is prohibited on airliners and wants ticket prices increased to pay for free stuff they paid for that people may or may not want - and Rogue Valley and Haymaker agree. Curious. Worth remembering.

I didn't complain about smoking, you could smoke back then on a plane. The airlines were trying to draw passengers back then, today flying is a necessity for a lot of folks and othes who want to travel and not drive and the airlines have responded in kind. They don't need that stuff anymore to draw customers. Today flying unless you want to pay out the ying yang, is giving you the least amount possible for the most amount of money.

Your analysis is flawed.

The gop is a political org so its policies should be evaluated on the political return they produce and not the economic returns.

Well, wait a minute. Are we supposed here to be discussing the GOP, as in RNC itself, or the policies for which elected GOP officials avance and advocate? Sure, the RNC evaluates its actions based on little but getting GOP candidates elected. Once elected, however, policy those candidates push is supposed to be for the good of the US, not of the party/RNC.

Well, wait a minute. Are we supposed here to be discussing the GOP, as in RNC itself, or the policies for which elected GOP officials avance and advocate? Sure, the RNC evaluates its actions based on little but getting GOP candidates elected. Once elected, however, policy those candidates push is supposed to be for the good of the US, not of the party/RNC.

Supposed to be is a value judgement. I prefer to discuss what is.

I would argue that the difference between the RNC and the policies gop politicians advance is a difference of little to no significance.

Supposed to be is a value judgement. I prefer to discuss what is.

I would argue that the difference between the RNC and the policies gop politicians advance is a difference of little to no significance.
Red:
Before I buy such a prospect, you'll have to present that argument.

Red:
Before I buy such a prospect, you'll have to present that argument.

Start out by re-reading the op. You will see the op talks about the gop in terms of their policies. Going further, that is how nearly all people view it.

Now, it is your turn. Explain the difference between the gop and the RNC and how that difference is germane to this discussion

Start out by re-reading the op. You will see the op talks about the gop in terms of their policies. Going further, that is how nearly all people view it.

Now, it is your turn. Explain the difference between the gop and the RNC and how that difference is germane to this discussion

If that's your notion of an argument, you should ply it with someone other than me. I'm not even going to dignify that so-called argument with a topically substantive response.

Back
Top Bottom