• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

• Total voters
He clearly used this term in a non-derogatory way so what is there to discuss.

I'm waiting on Fox news to make a big deal out of this though, there audience surely isn't intelligent enough to distinguish what he meant by it so it's basically free fuel for the fire to Fox.

That is why.

Edit: when some one makes a poll and does not include important details before asking your opinion, it's a safe bet it is a trap thread.
Psst... none oif that is important.

Psst... none oif that is important.

Well, not to you I am sure. To people who want to know what was actually said, then yes it is important.

Then, Obama said about African-Americans in general, “We are sort of a mongrel people.”

“I mean we’re all kinds of mixed up,” Obama said. “That’s actually true of white people as well, but we just know more about it.”

Wow. "We just know more about it". Good Lord, the arrogance of this man!

See what happens when there is no teleprompteur for The One we have been waiting for.

(Crash icon)

Imagine if Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh or Sarah Palin had said it. All hell would've broken lose.
Yes.... something not addressed by -certain- people here...

I'm kind of interested to see how the different media outlets and radio talk shows report on this as well. Should be interesting to watch.

That every one was to an extent mixed race? I can't see the problem with that.

You honestly think that if a conservative said "African Americans are sort of a mongrel race. We all are, really."

Chris Matthews would be spitting up a storm taking it out of context and calling for the firing of whoever said it.

None of that is relevant.
But, go on attacking the poster rather than discussing the topic

The topic is disingenuous from the get go.
You planned on getting a bunch of liberals to say that someone using the word mongrel was racist or bigoted.
Then you were going to spring the trap that Obama said it, only you would of withheld the actual context of it.

It's pretty dishonest.

Reminds me of these kinds of instances:

The director of D.C. Mayor Anthony A. Williams's constituent services office resigned after being accused of using a racial slur, the mayor's office said yesterday.

David Howard, head of the Office of Public Advocate, said he used the word "niggardly" in a Jan. 15 conversation about funding with two employees.

"I used the word 'niggardly' in reference to my administration of a fund," Howard said in a written statement yesterday. "Although the word, which is defined as miserly, does not have any racial connotations, I realize that staff members present were offended by the word.

Guess those staff members didn't pay attention in English class.

Well, not to you I am sure. To people who want to know what was actually said, then yes it is important.
Why, exactly, is any of that important?
How does any of that in any way modify the statement that was made?
How does any of that change the answer to the question?

If you cannot answer these questions, then you're simply whining.

I know I'm a non-mongrel because I have all the signs of inbreeding like any good full-blooded Irishman should, but most Americans are mongrels of some sort, especially when their families have been here for generations.

The topic is disingenuous from the get go.
You planned on getting a bunch of liberals to say that someone using the word mongrel was racist or bigoted.
Then you were going to spring the trap that Obama said it, only you would of withheld the actual context of it.
It's pretty dishonest.
Only if you argue that those same liberals would have had the same response of outrage knowing who said it.
So far, there's nothing to support that.

Let's be totally honest, any white person, regardless of their political affiliation, would get crucified for a comment like that.

More so if they were conservative.

Let's be totally honest, any white person, regardless of their political affiliation, would get crucified for a comment like that.
Yes. -Who- said it matters. No way to argue otherwise.

I have to agree with that. Conservative or Liberal, Republican or Democrat... ANY white person, no matter what the context would NEVER get away with the comment.

I don't know about that. I doubt any white guy on teh planet could get away with that comment in any context.

(Affect(ing) a black accent to recount San Francisco mayor Willie Brown asking) "Who is this "Emily List? She's supportin' all these people. She's supportin' Sen. Dianne Feinstein. She's supported Sen. Barbara Boxer....She supported everybody. Why won't she support me?" -- Hillary Clinton.

"You f*cking Jew b@stard." -- Hillary Clinton

"that Barack Obama is "the first mainstream African-American [presidential candidate] who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man." -Joe Biden

I don't know if I agree with you on that.

Yes. -Who- said it matters. No way to argue otherwise.

I'd say that no matter who says it, they are going to get some slack over it.

If I were going to trank the types of people who'd get the most slack for it from greatest to least it would go as follows:

1. White guy, regardless of affiliation
2. Conservative white woman
3. Liberal white woman
4. Conservative black person regardless of gender
5. Liberal black person regardless of gender

The liberal black person would get the least amount of crap overall, but they'll still get crap from the right over it.

The conservative black person would get crap from liberal black people more than anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom