• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arctic Sea Ice Extent Greater Than or Equal to 5 of the last 6 years

I believe the depth and the extent are two different issues since ice floats

6 years of data is not enough to talk about a trend.

According to your chart the past 10 years has seen ice concentration steadily trending downwards, with each year measuring in below the previous 20 year average. I'm not sure this chart portrays the picture you had in mind.

According to your chart the past 10 years has seen ice concentration steadily trending downwards, with each year measuring in below the previous 20 year average. I'm not sure this chart portrays the picture you had in mind.

It shows exactly what I said it shows.

I do like the interactive charts that show the whole picture, though.

The assertion of the AGW Diehards is that the Concentration of CO2 will warm the planet as it increases. There are other assertions that seem to supplant this one. One is that there is a 60 years cycle that dominates the climate and it seems to be supported by the record of temperature since 1700.

I am not saying that the possibility of AGW existing is impossible. I only say that it's not supported by the actual record of climate. If the 60 year cycle of climate is the dominating force behind climate instead of the forcing provided by CO2, then the temperature should have plateaued in about the year 2000 with a possible decrease occurring for about 40 years. Guess what did happen in about the year 2000.

If the forcing from CO2 is the dominating factor for our climate, then the temperature should rise consistently and constantly but it does not.

Anyway, one of the predictions of the AGW Diehards is that the Arctic will be ice free soon. That particular prediction, one among many, also seems to be in jeopardy.

http://people.duke.edu/~ns2002/pdf/Mazzarella-Scafetta-60-yr.pdf

View attachment 67152259

Last edited:
I believe the depth and the extent are two different issues since ice floats

That is true.

It seems rational to assume that extent and depth will both increase as the years over year occurs and the increase is an annual event.

The chart in the OP shows that in the year 2012, the ice was lower than the average for the entire time except for one week in April. It shows that the trend is that the percent of ice in the ocean has been consistently becoming less year after year. No other year has had such little percentage of ice in the ocean, according to that graph. And the top years were all prior to 1990. Since 1990, the lines are almost all consistently below the average line. And 2013 is trending to be below the average as well, although not quite as much as 2012.

It isn't proof of much but it certainly does not support the OP in any way, shape, or form.

The panic over the Arctic Sea Ice melting completely away very soon might have been overstated...

Is this another AGW prediction based on AGW Science that is falling apart?

Charctic Interactive Sea Ice Graph | Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis

[h=2]Sea Ice News Volume 4 number 4 – The Maslowski Countdown to an ‘ice-free Arctic’ begins[/h] Posted on August 18, 2013 by Anthony Watts
A grand experiment is being conducted in the Arctic this year that may not only falsify a prediction made in 2007, but may also further distance a connection between Arctic air temperature and sea ice decline.
You may have noticed the countdown widget at the top of the right sidebar. I’ve been waiting for this event all summer, and now that we are just over a month away from the Autumnal Equinox at September 22, at 20:44 UTC., (4:44PM EDT) signifying the end of summer in the Northern Hemisphere, this seemed like a good time to start the countdown. If there is still significant ice (1 million square kilometers or more as defined by Zwally, see below) in place then, we can consider that this claim by Maslowski in 2007 to be falsified:

Source: BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Arctic summers ice-free 'by 2013'
What is most interesting though, is that Arctic temperatures seem to be in early decline, ahead of schedule by about 30 days compared to last year’s record melt:
Continue reading →

So why make this topic if you're going to post something that invalidates your own OP?

I said the panic may have been overstated.

It may have been.

[h=2]Sea Ice News Volume 4 number 4 – The Maslowski Countdown to an ‘ice-free Arctic’ begins[/h] Posted on August 18, 2013 by Anthony Watts
A grand experiment is being conducted in the Arctic this year that may not only falsify a prediction made in 2007, but may also further distance a connection between Arctic air temperature and sea ice decline.
You may have noticed the countdown widget at the top of the right sidebar. I’ve been waiting for this event all summer, and now that we are just over a month away from the Autumnal Equinox at September 22, at 20:44 UTC., (4:44PM EDT) signifying the end of summer in the Northern Hemisphere, this seemed like a good time to start the countdown. If there is still significant ice (1 million square kilometers or more as defined by Zwally, see below) in place then, we can consider that this claim by Maslowski in 2007 to be falsified:

Source: BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Arctic summers ice-free 'by 2013'
What is most interesting though, is that Arctic temperatures seem to be in early decline, ahead of schedule by about 30 days compared to last year’s record melt:
Continue reading →

Yet another prediction that has fallen apart.

It seems there is not a prediction made based on AGW Science that is ever correct.

I think there's clearly more than just man made global climate change going on with the North Pole losing ice and the South increasing.

Ice volume loss has been around 75% over the last three decades. As for cover, no sign of it rising, unless you compare winter to summer.

NSIDC.jpg

Ice volume loss has been around 75% over the last three decades. As for cover, no sign of it rising, unless you compare winter to summer.

NSIDC.jpg

[h=2]Remarkable correlation of Arctic sea ice to solar cycle length[/h] Posted on July 18, 2013 by Anthony Watts
This is interesting, especially since Solar Cycle 23 was quite long. The Hockey Schtick writes: A paper published by the Danish Meteorological Institute finds a remarkable correlation of Arctic sea ice observations over the past 500 years to “the solar … Continue reading →:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom