• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

Greenland Ice Sheet Today | Surface Melt Data presented by NSIDC National snow and ice data center.

WaPo won't let me read their rag with paying. But 40 degrees seems a stretch, or an outright lie.

Your link covers Greenland, and not the entire Arctic. Even so, from your link...

The number of surface melting days was well above the 1981 to 2010 average for the beginning of the 2019 Greenland melt season, particularly along the southeastern coast.
Low snowfall over western Greenland, combined with the early warming, has resulted in an early onset of the melt season at several automated weather stations (AWS) managed by Programme for Monitoring of the Greenland Ice Sheet (PROMICE), a Danish ice and climate research site.

Your link doesn't cover June, but from the graph below (from your link), you can see the concern. Notice the RED spike leading up to June.

NSIDC_greenland_daily_melt_plot.jpg

Your link covers Greenland, and not the entire Arctic. Even so, from your link...

The number of surface melting days was well above the 1981 to 2010 average for the beginning of the 2019 Greenland melt season, particularly along the southeastern coast.
Low snowfall over western Greenland, combined with the early warming, has resulted in an early onset of the melt season at several automated weather stations (AWS) managed by Programme for Monitoring of the Greenland Ice Sheet (PROMICE), a Danish ice and climate research site.

Your link doesn't cover June, but from the graph below (from your link), you can see the concern. Notice the RED spike leading up to June.

View attachment 67258200

[h=2]German Analyses: Bevis et al 2019 Misrepresents Greenland Ice Melt Data, Falsely Claims Accelerating Ice Melt[/h]By P Gosselin on 20. April 2019
When Greenland ice melt data are correctly presented, Greenland it has in fact decelerated recently, thus contradicting alarmist claims by a new paper’s authors. The “Illi omnia experti“ climate science By Uli Weber (Translated/edited by P Gosselin) Already in January 2019 a very peculiar scientific publication on the allegedly increasing glacier melt had been a […]

View attachment 67258200

But we're talking about Greenland ice sheets melting.

My link doesn't cover June because June hasn't happened yet. I suspect the article is old. How old I don't know. I'm not going to pay a buck to find out. The author retired, so he is no longer a government climatologist. I went to his blog page and there is a list of his writings and radio interviews. There is no mention of this other than WaPo that I can find.

Greenland Ice Sheet Today | Surface Melt Data presented by NSIDC National snow and ice data center.

WaPo won't let me read their rag with paying. But 40 degrees seems a stretch, or an outright lie.

My link doesn't cover June because June hasn't happened yet. I suspect the article is old. How old I don't know. I'm not going to pay a buck to find out. The author retired, so he is no longer a government climatologist. I went to his blog page and there is a list of his writings and radio interviews. There is no mention of this other than WaPo that I can find.

I'm a subscriber. Here's the money quote.

[h=2]April and May: Above average, but nothing to write Nome about[/h][h=3]FEATURED[/h]June 12, 2019
Surface melting on the Northern Hemisphere’s largest mass of ice began during the second week of April, with several significant melting episodes at the end of the month and into early May. Warm conditions over the ice sheet and winds from the east were prevalent for the two-month period. While significant, and above average for the 1981 to 2010 reference period, the melting extent has been comparable to previous years spanning 2010 to 2018.

I'm a subscriber. Here's the money quote.

[h=2]April and May: Above average, but nothing to write Nome about[/h][h=3]FEATURED[/h]June 12, 2019
Surface melting on the Northern Hemisphere’s largest mass of ice began during the second week of April, with several significant melting episodes at the end of the month and into early May. Warm conditions over the ice sheet and winds from the east were prevalent for the two-month period. While significant, and above average for the 1981 to 2010 reference period, the melting extent has been comparable to previous years spanning 2010 to 2018.

Thanks Jack. I found that one. I think I posted it. My favorite part? Nothing to write Nome about.

Did you know the earth was around over four billion years before humans appeared?

Yeah, do you realize it was humans who farmed and mined there and not the first ones billions of years ago. Vikings were among the first to farm there, perhaps you have heard of them?

Got any other worthless tidbits to throw out?

See post #14. I posted a link that describes the concerns of the situation in the Arctic. Keep in mind, that over these years of Climate Change, the Arctic has been hit the hardest. Despite the Blogs on this thread, it is becoming a serious situation. Also keep in mind that we are only in the beginning of the effects of Climate Change.

Earlier link--->
Arctic melt: The threat beneath the ice - CNN

See the warming acclerate since 1980 on this interactive NASA world map.

Interactive: Climate time machine – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet
World_Temp_Map.jpg

See post #14. I posted a link that describes the concerns of the situation in the Arctic. Keep in mind, that over these years of Climate Change, the Arctic has been hit the hardest. Despite the Blogs on this thread, it is becoming a serious situation. Also keep in mind that we are only in the beginning of the effects of Climate Change.

Earlier link--->
Arctic melt: The threat beneath the ice - CNN

See the warming acclerate since 1980 on this interactive NASA world map.

Interactive: Climate time machine – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet
View attachment 67258217

So now we're only beginning to see the effects? Back in the day Algore was claiming much would happen before 2000.

AOC says we've got 12 years. That doesn't sound like the beginning. Now the temperature rose 40 degrees in one month. Problem is, none of that is happening.

So now we're only beginning to see the effects? Back in the day Algore was claiming much would happen before 2000.

AOC says we've got 12 years. That doesn't sound like the beginning. Now the temperature rose 40 degrees in one month. Problem is, none of that is happening.

And yet, not one of the people you mentioned are the Scientists doing the studies. The links I posted above are about the Science, not the politics. Study the peer-reviewed science, and there is only one conclusion. Even if we start reducing our Greenhouse Gas output, we're in for a long-haul.

And yet, not one of the people you mentioned are the Scientists doing the studies. The links I posted above are about the Science, not the politics. Study the peer-reviewed science, and there is only one conclusion. Even if we start reducing our Greenhouse Gas output, we're in for a long-haul.

AlGore got an Oscar, Nobel, and a major book award. Somebody must have thought he was on to something. AOC's NGD bill had 50 odd sponsors. The very ones who will vote on pissing off more millions on this nonsense.

AlGore got an Oscar, Nobel, and a major book award. Somebody must have thought he was on to something. AOC's NGD bill had 50 odd sponsors. The very ones who will vote on pissing off more millions on this nonsense.

Again ---> Study the peer-reviewed Science...

Yeah, do you realize it was humans who farmed and mined there and not the first ones billions of years ago. Vikings were among the first to farm there, perhaps you have heard of them?

Got any other worthless tidbits to throw out?

They landed on southern shores of Greenland. The OP is about the northern coast. :doh

They landed on southern shores of Greenland. The OP is about the northern coast. :doh

Oh, so now you are willing to discuss relative recent times of history and not billions of years ago. :doh

What are you talking about?

Oh, wait. You're deflecting voting for the defector by pointing at the Black guy. I get it.

The person you are referencing proclaimed that people would look back to the day of his speech as the point at which the oceans receded and the planet was healed.

I wonder why some see him first and foremost as a "the Black guy". I suppose racism is a hard habit to break.

Every year, EVERY YEAR, when Spring arrives in the Northern Hemisphere and the ice of Winter melts, the breathless twits in our media report that ice is melting in the Northern Hemisphere.

Just to emphasize the point, they do this every year. EVERY YEAR! One might expect that that they might notice that they are running the same unsurprising story EVERY YEAR.

Then, predictably, EVERY YEAR mind numbed robots hear last year's story again, clutch their pearls and bemoan the end of our civilization and our planet. EVERY YEAR!

When something happens EVERY YEAR it reaches a point when surprise is no longer a reasonable response. Reasonable responses from the media is not a reasonable expectation. But that's them. What about you?

Are you still fascinated for hours on end playing peek-a boo? The face was there. Now it's gone. Now it's BACK. IT'S GONE AGAIN! IT'S BACK AGAIN! WHAT'S HAPPENING??!!??

[h=2]Antarctic Dome A Station Sets New Record Low: -82.7°C … And Arctic Ice Hasn’t Melted This Decade[/h]By P Gosselin on 16. June 2019
[h=2]By Kirye[/h]and P. Gosselin
Once predicted to be ice-free by climate “experts”, the Arctic ice has not lost any volume over the current decade.
Using the modelled ice volume data from the Danish Meteorological Institute (DMI), we see June 15 volume trend has been flat since 2010:

Data source: DMI
Next we examine the fluctuating ice volume, going back to March 2006:

Data source: DMI

Wow! That's a lot of mind wandering based on things unrelated to the topic.

Nothing at all about Big Foot?

Both Alaska and Canada have speeded up the relocation of villages and towns in low lying coastal areas due to the melting of ice sheets like the ones in Greenland. They had project a slower pace to move these towns, but a more rapid melting and resulting rise in sea levels has caused a quickened move.

Islands once inhabited in the Atlantic & Pacific have disappeared from view. Florida communities are dealing with salt water back flooding the storm sewers at high tide.

Last edited:
Both Alaska and Canada have speeded up the relocation of villages and towns in low lying coastal areas due to the melting of ice sheets like the ones in Greenland. They had project a slower pace to move these towns, but a more rapid melting and resulting rise in sea levels has caused a quickened move.

Islands once inhabited in the Atlantic & Pacific have disappeared from view. Florida communities are dealing with salt water back flooding the storm sewers at high tide.

Which Islands?

The person you are referencing proclaimed that people would look back to the day of his speech as the point at which the oceans receded and the planet was healed.

I wonder why some see him first and foremost as a "the Black guy". I suppose racism is a hard habit to break.

Every year, EVERY YEAR, when Spring arrives in the Northern Hemisphere and the ice of Winter melts, the breathless twits in our media report that ice is melting in the Northern Hemisphere.

Just to emphasize the point, they do this every year. EVERY YEAR! One might expect that that they might notice that they are running the same unsurprising story EVERY YEAR.

Then, predictably, EVERY YEAR mind numbed robots hear last year's story again, clutch their pearls and bemoan the end of our civilization and our planet. EVERY YEAR!

When something happens EVERY YEAR it reaches a point when surprise is no longer a reasonable response. Reasonable responses from the media is not a reasonable expectation. But that's them. What about you?

Are you still fascinated for hours on end playing peek-a boo? The face was there. Now it's gone. Now it's BACK. IT'S GONE AGAIN! IT'S BACK AGAIN! WHAT'S HAPPENING??!!??

Yes, the Black guy who made most of the white guys lose their minds. Hey, did you like your president’s clown paint last night? Now that was MAGA :lamo

Borrowing from the Comey dialoge before Congress, "Lordy," what ever are we to do? Maybe we could nuke volcanoes to stop them from clouding up the atmosphere? Butcher all cows to extinction? Ground all planes and cars? Force people to drink smaller drinks in paper cups? Spend trillions of dollars of free government money on democrat foundations involved with changing the weather?

Islands appear and disappear in the Pacific. The Weather Channel just had a story on a Hawaiian island that reappeared after having submerged.

Hawaiian Island Begins to Reappear After Hurricane Walaka Wiped it Out | The Weather Channel

One of the many issues with measuring anything in nature is that the various measurements do not occur in a laboratory and that they interact and react.

Do you have any links for the particular islands you have in mind? Links for the salt water back flooding and the history or lack of history of the same?

I can remember pretty clearly that the level of the lake water in Lake Superior was lower and it was feared that it would get continuously lower due to climate change. I grew up on the shore of lake Superior so it gets my attention.

This year, the level of the water in the Big Lake is way up. Due to what? Climate change!

Just as we breathe and get hungry, the Earth changes in rhythms and with trackable causes. Calculating geologically paced planetary changes based on momentary local data taken out of context does not seem reasonable.

Yes, the Black guy who made most of the white guys lose their minds. Hey, did you like your president’s clown paint last night? Now that was MAGA :lamo

You'll need to post the picture.

Back
Top Bottom