• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arctic Methane Cost $60Trillion

grip

Slow 🅖 Hand
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
We're also discovering that fracking for NG and oil releases huge amounts of methane into the atmosphere.

If Arctic Methane Is Released, the Fallout Will Cost $60,000,000,000,000

Ice-free Arctic in two years heralds methane catastrophe

Cost of Arctic methane release could be 'size of global economy', experts warn

If Arctic Methane Is Released, the Fallout Will Cost $60,000,000,000,000. Over 1700 gigatons of carbon is trapped in the permafrost and could be released as methane. That's twice what's currently in the atmosphere. The problem is it could happen in 50 years or even 10.

What, is Al Gore fronting some scam to capture methane gas now??

Wish I had 100 bucks for every time I heard we were on the verge of ecological catastrophe in my life time.:lol:

This one might be for real, but it will be in slow motion.

If Arctic Methane Is Released, the Fallout Will Cost $60,000,000,000,000. Over 1700 gigatons of carbon is trapped in the permafrost and could be released as methane. That's twice what's currently in the atmosphere. The problem is it could happen in 50 years or even 10.
And people say we are going to run out of hydrocarbons, it sounds like there is still plenty around.

And people say we are going to run out of hydrocarbons, it sounds like there is still plenty around.

They don't know how much carbon is actually in the permafrost or how fast a transfer to the atmosphere will occur. Probably not catastrophic in our lifetimes though we should realistically start to see where the earth is headed in 10-20 years. Not much we can do about it anyways with the sustained needs of a modern world.

Alarmist alert...

Alarmist alert...

Alarmist alert...

Really now. Look at the finer details of the facts.

First link, author:

Salvatore Cardoni\

Second article. 50 gigatons over 50 year...

1 Gton/year...

Now I did a quick check, and couldn't find the current natural sourcing of CH4, but 1 GtC annual seems pretty small to me. The CO2 sourcing in nature is in excess of 760 Gton of CO2, with man adding about 29-30 Gton annual.

Now the third article says it can cause a 2C rise or more in 15 to 35 years. I doubt that, but this could be correct since the radiative efficiency is high at the current low levels. We really don't know the decay of CH4 very well, or it's forcing. But I will agree this assessment could be close. I would be more certain one way or another if I saw something accurate on the sourcing and sinking levels of methane.

Back
Top Bottom