• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arafat pushed for Second Intifada

Demon of Light

Bohemian Revolutionary
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat urged Hamas to carry out attacks inside Israel when he felt peace talks had failed, a senior Hamas leader said in remarks published on Wednesday.

"Arafat signalled to the Hamas movement to carry out a number of military operations in the heart of the Jewish state when he felt that the negotiations with the occupation government had failed," Mahmud Zahar said during a meeting with Hamas MPs on Tuesday, according to the Hamas-linked Falasteen newspaper.

Source: AFP

Some are not gonna be surprised, I have to say I am not particularly surprised. Still, exactly how this played out seems to be unclear. What the article says might suggest that Arafat had a different idea of what the intifada would look like.

Source: AFP

Some are not gonna be surprised, I have to say I am not particularly surprised. Still, exactly how this played out seems to be unclear. What the article says might suggest that Arafat had a different idea of what the intifada would look like.

Once you put these type of things in motion it is difficult to control them. Arafat probably understood that as well as anyone.

Once you put these type of things in motion it is difficult to control them. Arafat probably understood that as well as anyone.

He never tried to control them after they've been set in motion. He only like to control the timing of it all.

Back
Top Bottom