• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arab states call for international action against Syrian regime

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
At an Arab League meeting in Cairo on Sunday evening, foreign ministers passed a resolution pressing the United Nations and the global community to “take the deterrent and necessary measures against the culprits of this crime that the Syrian regime bears responsibility for,” according to Reuters.

The ministers also concluded that those responsible for the lethal chemical weapons attack should face trial just like other “war criminals.”

After President Obama announced he'd seek congressional approval before acting in Syria, the Syrian army began shelling rebel-held suburbs. One newspaper mocked the president while the Syrian deputy foreign minister said Obama's delay was laughable. Bill Neely reports.

And Saudi Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal said merely condemning President Bashar Assad’s regime for alleging staging the poison gas attack, which the White House has said killed some 1,429 people, was only a half measure.

“The time has come to call on the world community to bear its responsibility and take the deterrent measure that puts a halt to the tragedy,” al-Faisal said, Reuters reported.

[snip}

Read more

At an Arab League meeting in Cairo on Sunday evening, foreign ministers passed a resolution pressing the United Nations and the global community to “take the deterrent and necessary measures against the culprits of this crime that the Syrian regime bears responsibility for,” according to Reuters.

The ministers also concluded that those responsible for the lethal chemical weapons attack should face trial just like other “war criminals.”

After President Obama announced he'd seek congressional approval before acting in Syria, the Syrian army began shelling rebel-held suburbs. One newspaper mocked the president while the Syrian deputy foreign minister said Obama's delay was laughable. Bill Neely reports.

And Saudi Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal said merely condemning President Bashar Assad’s regime for alleging staging the poison gas attack, which the White House has said killed some 1,429 people, was only a half measure.

“The time has come to call on the world community to bear its responsibility and take the deterrent measure that puts a halt to the tragedy,” al-Faisal said, Reuters reported.

[snip}

Read more

Doesn't Saudi Arabia and all it's fellow oil states have a military THEY can send? Don't we sell them a lot of weapons? How did this become OUR job?

Doesn't Saudi Arabia and all it's fellow oil states have a military THEY can send? Don't we sell them a lot of weapons? How did this become OUR job?

They've been doing this for years. In the past we have been all too eager to intervene. Now we're a bit smarter, and question the motives of even our so-called friends. I wonder how much of our "intelligence" comes from sources like the Saudis and others with their own agenda.

[snip}

Read more

That one newspaper, eh? Well, we'll jusy have to wait and see who has the last laugh, then won't we? Because I think that 'one newspaper' just put themselves at the top of the target hit list. Meh, Assad's communication network would likely be the first to go anyway ...along with airport runways and missle launch pad locations amd maybe even a palace or two.

Assad laughs at the delay to his demise, while Americans debate Miley Cyrus. Hows that for a laugh? nyuhuhuh

You're right. If it's so important for the Saudi's and other Arab states to put Assad in check, shouldn't they get off their duffs and do something about it?

I apologize to all if I duplicated a post.

They've been doing this for years. In the past we have been all too eager to intervene. Now we're a bit smarter, and question the motives of even our so-called friends. I wonder how much of our "intelligence" comes from sources like the Saudis and others with their own agenda.

You're right. If it's so important for the Saudi's and other Arab states to put Assad in check, shouldn't they get off their duffs and do something about it?

There is no valid reason for us to be involved in this Syrian situation other than our MIC wanted us to fire a bunch of multi-million dollar missiles at (?) so they can make a sale. Obama is just a tool, as was his predecessors.

Now, we'll find out who the "Obamabots" are. Anyone supporting him is going to be revealed as another tool themselves. If Obama starts a war, it must be good. If Bush starts a war, it must be bad. Here comes a really expensive education, you needn't worry though, we'll print up the money to pay the bill and the richest will become even richer.

Maybe just one time, Congress will grow a pair, but they're probably getting their checks right now so don't anybody hold your breath.

There is no valid reason for us to be involved in this Syrian situation other than our MIC wanted us to fire a bunch of multi-million dollar missiles at (?) so they can make a sale. Obama is just a tool, as was his predecessors.

Now, we'll find out who the "Obamabots" are. Anyone supporting him is going to be revealed as another tool themselves. If Obama starts a war, it must be good. If Bush starts a war, it must be bad. Here comes a really expensive education, you needn't worry though, we'll print up the money to pay the bill and the richest will become even richer.

Maybe just one time, Congress will grow a pair, but they're probably getting their checks right now so don't anybody hold your breath.

Any action he takes will be explained away with a positive/sympathetic spin. If he acts with the approval of congress, they'll say he was patient and did the right thing by going to congress, If he acts without congress, then he's the lonely moral authority figure, and if he doesn't do anything, he's changed his mind after evolving and that is just fine.

Any action he takes will be explained away with a positive/sympathetic spin. If he acts with the approval of congress, they'll say he was patient and did the right thing by going to congress, If he acts without congress, then he's the lonely moral authority figure, and if he doesn't do anything, he's changed his mind after evolving and that is just fine.

Obama is in a lose-lose situation no matter what he does. I feel his pain and all that.

But instead, I'm more interested in the right results for America, not for politicians. We have thoroughly armed nearby states who have expressed dismay with the Assad regime. They should decide, they should act and we can be supportive of their efforts. But raining our bombs on Syria will not win us any love. We have absolutely zero to gain.

Just as an aside, does anybody think that the US does not own any chemical weapons? Of course we would NEVER be the first to use them but do we even have any?

Obama is in a lose-lose situation no matter what he does. I feel his pain and all that.

But instead, I'm more interested in the right results for America, not for politicians. We have thoroughly armed nearby states who have expressed dismay with the Assad regime. They should decide, they should act and we can be supportive of their efforts. But raining our bombs on Syria will not win us any love. We have absolutely zero to gain.

Just as an aside, does anybody think that the US does not own any chemical weapons? Of course we would NEVER be the first to use them but do we even have any?

I don't really care either way what happens. Would it really change things much here? 12 years of war on terror, and what really has changed in America? Not striking wouldn't change things here either. What upsets me is this man's indecision. Sure he's taking this to congress, and some will applaud him for that, but it's unnecessary. It seems like a political punt to me.

We have chemicals, and we have weapons...probably wouldn't take much to make the leap if we wanted to.

I don't really care either way what happens. Would it really change things much here? 12 years of war on terror, and what really has changed in America? Not striking wouldn't change things here either. What upsets me is this man's indecision. Sure he's taking this to congress, and some will applaud him for that, but it's unnecessary. It seems like a political punt to me.

We have chemicals, and we have weapons...probably wouldn't take much to make the leap if we wanted to.

Of course it's a punt. What else can he do? Maybe Congress will help him out, refuse to go along and let him say that he really wanted to but......

Maybe we'll get lucky.

The War On Terror has changed America quite a bit. But you get used to things and they don't feel like change. Certainly government powers have doubled or tripled since 2001. How much does that really affect in an ordinary life? Maybe very little.

The Saudi's in particular have self interests in what happens in Syria. In fact so do Turkey, Jordan and Lebanon. Why haven't they pled their case to the UN? We do know that hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees to have fled to some of these countries.

My question is quite simple. Why has Obama waited so long to act? As if at this point a strike on Assad would do any good? Our "Dear Leader" has shown his incompetent actions time and time again in the Middle Eastern situation. You don't draw a line in the sand and tell the bully that if he crosses it you'll fight then draw another line when he crosses it.

Back
Top Bottom