• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ar15 is meant for Home Defense

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Is .223 the Best Home Defense Caliber? - Guns & Ammo

So with all the discussion about the evils of the ar15 and its baby seeking Bullets, I felt compelled to introduce this topic. The idea that this rifle is unsuitable for the public is hogwash for one simple reason: it is an excellent home defense gun. The caliber is perfect for those who are seeking to reduce over penetration. It is also superb for those who aren't great pistol or shotgun shooters.

I do not care what it is meant for, what I care about is the 2nd Amendment does not come with the "for hunting" or "for home defense" qualifier. And I am tired of the idea that we have to qualify why we have 2nd Amendment rights but other rights do not face the same level of scrutiny.

I do not care what it is meant for, what I care about is the 2nd Amendment does not come with the "for hunting" or "for home defense" qualifier. And I am tired of the idea that we have to qualify why we have 2nd Amendment rights but other rights do not face the same level of scrutiny.

"Sir, I'd like to go to church, and then perhaps write a letter to my editor about the need for clean water in this city."

"Well, son, have you applied for a license for that?"

Well all you gun owners might as well pick one and forget all the rest. Home defense is different from gun collecting or shooting target practice. Saying gun ownership is a matter of liberty flies in the face of other policies with which conservatives commonly disagree.

The right to bear arms protects the militia, right? Shouldn't the militia be well organized? I agree with the last sentence, the AR 15 seems like it would have less kickback.

"Sir, I'd like to go to church, and then perhaps write a letter to my editor about the need for clean water in this city." "Well, son, have you applied for a license for that?"

Can't recall a time where the two you mention killing dozens of schoolchildren or movie goers... :peace

Can't recall a time where the two you mention killing dozens of schoolchildren or movie goers... :peace

You can't recall a time when a religious group killed dozens of people?

So...you don't watch a lot of international news, eh? Recommend googling this new group called "ISIL". They're kind of a big deal.

When the cost of the firearm, ammo and potential self defense use outside of one's home is considered then a pistol still wins, IMHO.

A lot of people told me that the 5.56mm high velocity rifle round is a very poor choice for home defense, the round tends to over penetrate and goes through drywall like a hot knife through butter. People in other rooms and your own neighbors would be in danger. I would rather use a shotgun (which is what I have).

I am on the fence. My ar is very easy to shoot. It has almost no muzzle kick, so my wife finds it very easy to handle. But... The small kick may be because of the muzzle brake, which makes each shot very loud. I would be interesting in switching to a can, but I am worried about if that will add muzzle kick.

On the other hand, our pistols have much more stopping power, but are harder to shoot. The article mentions a new PDX round, for .223, maybe that is the answer. I have to look into it.

A lot of people told me that the 5.56mm high velocity rifle round is a very poor choice for home defense, the round tends to over penetrate and goes through drywall like a hot knife through butter. People in other rooms and your own neighbors would be in danger. I would rather use a shotgun (which is what I have).

I would agree that a shotgun is the most accurate and safe firearm for home protection. Wide spread, yet shorter distance. I too have a shotgun that's for home defense. I also have an AR15 that I got in college. I only use that for 300 meter fun.

Really interesting article.

A shotgun certainly has its advantages but my concern is if you live in a house with other people. If the assailant ends up between you and a loved one, the spread could hurt them.

Very True.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well all you gun owners might as well pick one and forget all the rest. Home defense is different from gun collecting or shooting target practice. Saying gun ownership is a matter of liberty flies in the face of other policies with which conservatives commonly disagree.

The right to bear arms protects the militia, right? Shouldn't the militia be well organized? I agree with the last sentence, the AR 15 seems like it would have less kickback.

You might want to read D.C. v. Heller. The Supreme Court does not agree with you. Gun ownership most certainly IS a matter of liberty, even if the run-of-the-mill leftist totalitarian doesn't give a damn about it. The right to keep and bear arms does NOT apply only to the militia. The right is both individual and fundamental.

The militia is not required to be well organized. It is necessary. Not required ;)

Nope. It tends to tumble. Plus you have all the fragmenting ammo now. The round itself is small and easily fragments. Much better than multiple rounds out there.

I'm a shotgun shooter and thus I have to pick carefully what load inuseS I'm sure know that dilemma.

Really interesting article.

A shotgun certainly has its advantages but my concern is if you live in a house with other people. If the assailant ends up between you and a loved one, the spread could hurt them.

Oh thats why I also have 2 1911s with Crimson trace laser grips on them, I figure that if my family is safely behind me then thats the time I will use my sawed-off Saiga-12 with 20 round drum. :mrgreen:

Oh thats why I also have 2 1911s with Crimson trace laser grips on them, I figure that if my family is safely behind me then thats the time I will use my sawed-off Saiga-12 with 20 round drum. :mrgreen:

A prepared man. I like that. :)

I love the Crimson trace laser grips for home protection weapons. There is a good chance if you have to use it it will be in the dark and the laser lights up your target while possibly blinding them.

You might want to read D.C. v. Heller. The Supreme Court does not agree with you. Gun ownership most certainly IS a matter of liberty, even if the run-of-the-mill leftist totalitarian doesn't give a damn about it. The right to keep and bear arms does NOT apply only to the militia. The right is both individual and fundamental.

So you agree that it's a matter of private property ownership? But with facilities that are publicly owned and used privately, that's different for personal use?

You're at liberty to retain your right to private ownership of an AR-15 because we live in a free country. How does the supreme court not agree with me?

I didn't say the 2nd amendment only protects the militia, I simply asserted that the militia and others should figure out what weapon they want to use for home defense. That means the militia members are individual home owners, too. I'm talking about the application of the 2nd amendment to home defense.

Home defense doesn't mean accumulating a stockpile of weaponry. We have police for a reason. You might want to consider the castle doctrine where deadly force is concerned. That's when you use an AR-15, pistol or shotgun.

So you agree that it's a matter of private property ownership? But with facilities that are publicly owned and used privately, that's different for personal use?

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

You're at liberty to retain your right to private ownership of an AR-15 because we live in a free country. How does the supreme court not agree with me?

You seemed to be saying earlier that owning a firearm was not a matter of personal liberty. The right to keep and bear arms is an individual right guaranteed by the Second Amendment.

I'm talking about the application of the 2nd amendment to home defense.

How do you think it applies differently to home defense than it does away from the home?

Home defense doesn't mean accumulating a stockpile of weaponry.

If you know of any language in either Heller or McDonald that suggests government may restrict the number of firearms a person may keep at home, please cite it.

That's when you use an AR-15, pistol or shotgun.

The Second Amendment guarantees the individual right to keep and bear any or all those types of firearms.

Tell me more about how anyone would use more arms than can be physically born in order to bear arms. There is a limit to how many weapons you should have. If you own an excessive amount of weapons, that's you're right to be an imbecile and an arms proliferator.

Individual rights should apply to individuals, not stockpiles.

Last edited:

I'm guessing the sheriff is going to have to pick the bad guy up with a mop and plastic bag. :)

With 20 rounds of buck...who needs aiming? You might also be able to remodel a little too

So with all the discussion about the evils of the ar15 and its baby seeking Bullets, I felt compelled to introduce this topic. The idea that this rifle is unsuitable for the public is hogwash for one simple reason: it is an excellent home defense gun. The caliber is perfect for those who are seeking to reduce over penetration. It is also superb for those who aren't great pistol or shotgun shooters.

In the matter of self-defense in one's home, not much beats a shotgun.

few weapons are as versatile as a semi auto rifle

easy to use in close quarters

far more accuracy and stopping power over a pistol

better range than a shotgun and unlike a shotgun loaded with buck or bird shot-can be used in a hostage situation

less penetration than slugs

my perimeter defense weapon

IMG_0188.JPG

Tell me more about how anyone would use more arms than can be physically born in order to bear arms. There is a limit to how many weapons you should have. If you own an excessive amount of weapons, that's you're right to be an imbecile and an arms proliferator.

Individual rights should apply to individuals, not stockpiles.

that's really stupid because it assumes that the more arms you have, the less trustworthy you are

do you believe the same thing about books?

Back
Top Bottom