• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Appropriate sentence?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
What is the appropriate sentence for a police person who accidently pulls the wrong weapon and kills someone, anyoone? The sentence hearing for the police woman who shot a black man is going on right now. What would you consider a appropriate sentence for her after being convicted of 1st and 2nd degree manslaughter? The two i have heard so far are from the prosecutor one year in prison and then 18 years of probation and from the defense probation. THe family believes it should be more. What do you think?

What is the appropriate sentence for a police person who accidently pulls the wrong weapon and kills someone, anyoone? The sentence hearing for the police woman who shot a black man is going on right now. What would you consider a appropriate sentence for her after being convicted of 1st and 2nd degree manslaughter? The two i have heard so far are from the prosecutor one year in prison and then 18 years of probation and from the defense probation. THe family believes it should be more. What do you think?
I think this is immaterial. We should be talking about how to prevent this in the future.

Thats not really how law should work . . . it has to be specific to the circumstance to the case
Cant just be a blanket based on "a police person who accidentally pulls the wrong weapon and kills someone, anyone? "

next is how to avoid that ever happening

I think this is immaterial. We should be talking about how to prevent this in the future.

You prevent it with an appropriate sentence. At least that how punishment works in theory.

The problem was not the mistake, but the general disregard for her subject, instead of rendering aid, she took up the other officers attention in her self centered regret.

She could have been pissed off and pulled the gun on purpose.

I'm lenient, and for her act she should sit seven years.

Well it should be a hell of a lot more than 24 months (with time served) and a $1,000 fine. But hey - sounds about white.

What do you think?
1. It was a horrible mistake.

2. Her punishment should consist of:

a. She should be precluded from any police work in the future.

b. She should be ordered to pay a certain amount of each paycheck to the victim's family for the rest of her life (or until it reaches one million dollars).

There is no reason to put her in prison.

Right now there are robbers and sucker punchers and looters and rapists and even murderers who get only probation, if even that.

She did not intend to shoot the victim, and she has been traumatized.

1. It was a horrible mistake.

2. Her punishment should consist of:

a. She should be precluded from any police work in the future.

b. She should be ordered to pay a certain amount of each paycheck to the victim's family for the rest of her life (or until it reaches one million dollars).

There is no reason to put her in prison.

Right now there are robbers and sucker punchers and looters and rapists and even murderers who get only probation, if even that.

She did not intend to shoot the victim, and she has been traumatized.
I'm pretty sure a manslaughter conviction has a mandatory prison term.

I watched the entirety of Judge Chu’s of sentencing comments and agree with the sentence.

I'm pretty sure a manslaughter conviction has a mandatory prison term.
If that is so, then the governor should have the guts to let her out for some legal reason.

You prevent it with an appropriate sentence. At least that how punishment works in theory.
No.

“An appropriate sentence” is an element, not the answer to prevention.

5 years and loss of assets

FOUR + FOUR

It's safe to say that she did not wish to kill the suspect and that it was really an accident.

That said, she took a life needlessly and there must be punishment.

I would give her four years.

After that and upon release, she must contribute part of her paycheck, say 20%, to the victim's
children or spouse for the next four years (only dependents, not other family members).

Finally any cop who is stupid enough to pull out a gun and shoot somebody while intending to
pull his/her tazer should not be allowed to carry a gun ever again for employment.

Maybe she can keep her job in the police dept but only for a non-gun carrying position.

(Why 4 and 4; I don't know, that's just my number.)

Of course the miscreants of the Wright family believe the sentence wasn’t high enough. Of course if they applied their own standard to their criminal relative Daunte he’d be in jail for the shooting he committed and not dealing drugs without a drivers license in a car

It’s not a fair sentence because she didn’t even commit a crime and was wrongfully convicted.

It's a very sad story. The cop made a terrible mistake and she is remorseful for what happened. I probably would have sentenced her to 5 years.

And you commies are in complete agreement with letting career criminals out multiple times without bail because "the system made them that way". It's face palm BS for sure.

facepalm2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom