• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Appropriate movie for children?

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
For some reason or other I was thinking back to grade school and how education has changed over the years. One of my distinct memories comes from what must have been third grade when we watched a movie called "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge". I'm not really sure why we watched the movie but it probably had something to do with story telling and illustrating how the plot of a story was supposed to work. Anyway, what do you figure the odds are of getting this film past a third grade curriculum today?

Fair warning, the subject matter may be disturbing to some so a brief overview can be read here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Occurrence_at_Owl_Creek_Bridge_(film)

For some reason or other I was thinking back to grade school and how education has changed over the years. One of my distinct memories comes from what must have been third grade when we watched a movie called "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge". I'm not really sure why we watched the movie but it probably had something to do with story telling and illustrating how the plot of a story was supposed to work. Anyway, what do you figure the odds are of getting this film past a third grade curriculum today?

Fair warning, the subject matter may be disturbing to some so a brief overview can be read here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Occurrence_at_Owl_Creek_Bridge_(film)

0, and that's not from a lack of respect for engineers. Thanks for sharing, it reminds me of the story of Colter's Run (Lewis and Clark) from the Blackfoot, which lasted eleven days.

johncolterrun.jpg

0, and that's not from a lack of respect for engineers. Thanks for sharing, it reminds me of the story of Colter's Run (Lewis and Clark) from the Blackfoot, which lasted eleven days.

I don't know about you but back in the late 60's and early 70's we'd get stories like that on TV all the time. Growing up in NY we were introduced to LOTS of Revolutionary War history and stories. There wasn't a whole lot of hesitation to expose the "blood and guts" parts of history to us. Frankly, I think that having to consider those kind of things at a young age may have given us a greater appreciation for life.

I saw that movie!! The ending was really bad, for young people, but the film was interesting. It was in high school as I recall. Johnny Depp did a picture very much like it: Dead Man.

YOU must be younger, because I didn't see it in grade school.

I don't know about you but back in the late 60's and early 70's we'd get stories like that on TV all the time. Growing up in NY we were introduced to LOTS of Revolutionary War history and stories. There wasn't a whole lot of hesitation to expose the "blood and guts" parts of history to us. Frankly, I think that having to consider those kind of things at a young age may have given us a greater appreciation for life.

A greater appreciation for life, huh? I'm just talking about pioneers and savages. That's something that's appropriate for children. Revolutionary era national schism? Maybe not so much.

I saw this movie, also as a grade schooler, as an episode of THE TWILIGHT ZONE.
It's gut-wrenching ending made quite an impression on me.
Possibly explaining my slightly off-kilter personality.;)
Over all these decades, I'd look at any TZ re-runs thinking I might see it again.
The Wiki link explains why I haven't seen this episode since my youth.
Thanks for the info.

I haven't seen the film, but had read the short story as a high school student. Riveting stuff, but I don't think I read much controversial stuff as a third grader. I could have--my memory is a little fuzzy--but nothing like that until middle school.

I think it would all that depend on what part of the country this was being considered in, and then what purpose the educators felt it served.

Meanwhile, I think that a third grade class in this day and age would have fallen asleep (if they didn't have their personal hand-held electronics to distract them) about 2 minutes into the movie. :shrug:

Last edited:

I don't know about 3rd Grade, but I read this exact same story during High School.

Our society still shovels the crap that is Romeo and Juliet down kid's throats - making them read the stupid play and watch the dumb ****ing movies . . . so sure, Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge would pass with flying colors if the teacher believed it held some sort of literary merit.

In fact, i don't think it's that shocking or bad in comparison.

Our society still shovels the crap that is Romeo and Juliet down kid's throats - making them read the stupid play and watch the dumb ****ing movies . . . so sure, Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge would pass with flying colors if the teacher believed it held some sort of literary merit.

Are you saying that young men and women shouldn't be led to believe that they should go and jump off of a bridge, just because their romantic partner has?

Shakespeare is crap? Or just that play?

Are you saying that young men and women shouldn't be led to believe that they should go and jump off of a bridge, just because their romantic partner has?

Yep :)

Shakespeare is crap? Or just that play?

Yes, just the play. I'm referring to the pro-suicide-over-a-relationship-drama content of Romeo and Juliet. Teaching Shakespeare still has merit - I just don't understand why they keep hammering that one home.

Should we jump to conclusions, we should ask people before we act on their behalf. We should relate ourselves to others in a way which allows for them to either not be expected to relate, and/or to follow a different path of their own volition.

Yes, just the play. I'm referring to the pro-suicide-over-a-relationship-drama content of Romeo and Juliet. Teaching Shakespeare still has merit - I just don't understand why they keep hammering that one home.

Probably because teenagers are emo.

I think they choose it because teenagers can relate. I guess I've never seen it at "pro-suicide-over-a-relationship-drama". I've always viewed it as a cautionary tale. Don't act in haste. If he had waited instead of swallowing poison so quickly, they would have both survived. Again, I just don't and never have seen it as "pro-suicide".

We watched that same video, not sure if it was grade school or high!!!! Memories of that have stuck with me for a long time.. BUT.. We watched it in a cinematography class to look for production errors (subtle but very visible). I don't remember ever discussing it a a lesson in life though.. It does have a shocking ending...

djl

Back
Top Bottom