• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Apple to create $1bn Texas base

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46552904

Apple has announced plans to build a new campus in Austin, Texas, saying the project will involve a $1bn (£790m) investment.

The company already has an existing base in the city.
===============================================
This move would make it the state capital's biggest private employer.

Spiraling costs of hiring Silicon Valley appear to have made the move necessary And Austin has a big pool of scientific & technical talent already in place.

'Dell, Amazon, Samsung, Facebook, Google and IBM are among other large local employers.' Major computer chip expertise already exists in the area.

Apple has announced plans to build a new campus in Austin, Texas, saying the project will involve a $1bn (£790m) investment.

Spiraling costs of hiring Silicon Valley appear to have made the move necessary And Austin has a big pool of scientific & technical talent already in place.

'Dell, Amazon, Samsung, Facebook, Google and IBM are among other large local employers.' Major computer chip expertise already exists in the area.

Interesting, and they made that choice for good reason I'm sure.
Does anyone else wish these companies would invest in what I call dead zones, places that so desperately need jobs and revenue? If they'd move to an area, bring key employees they may not necessarily find in a local pool, other jobs will open up for the locals.

Does anyone else wish these companies would invest in what I call dead zones, places that so desperately need jobs and revenue? If they'd move to an area, bring key employees they may not necessarily find in a local pool, other jobs will open up for the locals.

Good points. I like Austin but I'm afraid in a few years it'll be an extremely expensive place to live.

Good points. I like Austin but I'm afraid in a few years it'll be an extremely expensive place to live.

I'm thinking i.e. coal country, giving them an alternative.

My thoughts:

1] Texas just got an economic shot in the arm

2] Texas just got a little Bluer

Only if they hire texans, and not californians.

I'd like to see that too, LoveBug.

But attracting to these areas the more highly educated and socially sophisticated employees that are typical of high tech, might prove difficult. I'm not saying it can't be done, but these economically depressed and often socially conservative areas are competing with other areas that have well established infrastructure in these regards.

My thoughts:

1] Texas just got an economic shot in the arm

2] Texas just got a little Bluer

Working for one of the most ruthless capitalist companies makes people liberal?

Only if they hire texans, and not californians.
That would seem to be one of the draws, as was explained in the article: "spiralling hiring costs"

I'm sure the cheaper housing and cheaper cost of living, will be an employee draw as well. And Austin has gotten the reputation of being a fun and interesting place to live.

From what I have heard it is already quite expensive compared to other areas of Texas. The big problem Austin will be having is the infrastructure, if they do not build adequate transit systems it will go the way of LA.

That would seem to be one of the draws, as was explained in the article: "spiralling hiring costs"

I'm sure the cheaper housing and cheaper cost of living, will be an employee draw as well. And Austin has gotten the reputation of being a fun and interesting place to live.

Won't be cheap for very long, if they keep moving changing the state's political environment.

Won't be cheap for very long, if they keep moving changing the state's political environment.

Actually, it is the "economic environment" that will determine housing & cost of living.

Actually, it is the "economic environment" that will determine housing & cost of living.

How do you think that economic environment got there?

I suspect "dead zones" would have pools of the types of skills Apple needs. Austin has long been a refuge for high tech companies and has a huge pool of superb techies.

You lost me. It's cheap, compared to 'Frisco. That's why they're moving.
The pro-business policies of the conservative state of texas MADE it economically suited for their businesses. That's why it will all change and become more expensive as the political landscape changes. I hate to say we need ideology tests but honestly, I don't want a massive amount of liberals coming here changing our state. We should stipulate that they only hire within texas, or make sure we're only getting a conservative work force if they're coming from out of state.

The pro-business policies of the conservative state of texas MADE it economically suited for their businesses. That's why it will all change and become more expensive as the political landscape changes.
Alright, I see your point now. Though I don't fully agree. San Fran is expensive due to economic supply and demand. The same with the more desirable areas of other geographical areas and major cities. This is relatively independent of political lean.

The pro-business policies of the conservative state of texas MADE it economically suited for their businesses. That's why it will all change and become more expensive as the political landscape changes. I hate to say we need ideology tests but honestly, I don't want a massive amount of liberals coming here changing our state. We should stipulate that they only hire within texas, or make sure we're only getting a conservative work force if they're coming from out of state.

I cannot imagine that would stand up in court, even if it did that would set a very dangerous precedent for mobility and employment rights. There are plenty of right-leaning "pro-business" areas of the world with extremely high costs of living, take the entirety of Switzerland for example.

Last edited:
To big a **** hole.. lacks infrastructure.

Sendt fra min SM-N9005 med Tapatalk

Same with Detroit: plenty of cheap land but no skilled infrastructure or labor force.

Same with Detroit: plenty of cheap land but no skilled infrastructure or labor force.

Austin has the skilled workforce, and the infrastructure, the problems will come in the future with growth. The labour force will keep up but the infrastructure will reach capacity very quickly.

Well yes and no. Detroit has the transport infrastructure and tech infrastructure.. or at least an easy way to get it. Coal country is rural hell hole where getting a cell signal can be a problem (exaggeration maybe but it is to point out the relative issue). Point is.. Detroit or Austin have major airports, rail and so on... coal country does not per say. I think the reason that companies dont choose to invest in the old industrial north like Detroit, is the following.

1) Weather.. it is a factor, like it or not. No offence to Michigan and all those northern states, but you are depressing during winter.

2) Political issues... basically stability. Detroit has crime and political issues that hold it back.. debt and so on. Austin is as "blue" politically as Detroit, but because it is a relative new town, then the "old city" problems of crime and poverty are not present. Many of the old northern industrial powerhouse cities have fared badly because they could not adapt quickly enough.

3) Infrastructure. I know I have stated that places like Detroit has infrastructure relative to Coal Country.. but compared to the new shinny Austin, Detroit's and other old industrial northern cities simply cant compete. For example... spread of fiber internet and so on. It matters.

As for the claim that taxes are important.. not really. It is an excuse to influence politicians to give you free stuff.. aka a bribe. Austin aint exactly cheap on taxes.. err my bad, fees and housing costs are rising fast. There are far cheaper places in Texas and hell other places in the US to go if it was for taxes. The differences are simply not that big as the politicians tend to push in their partisan bull****. For example.. Alaska... no income taxes and cheap as hell. Why dont companies flood to Alaska? Because it is cold, dark and depressing most of the year.. and Sarah Palin is there :)

I suspect "dead zones" would have pools of the types of skills Apple needs. Austin has long been a refuge for high tech companies and has a huge pool of superb techies.

That's ok, and why I said they can bring qualified people. Those people need houses, groceries, they eat out, stay in motels...

Back
Top Bottom