• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Apple Sucks

I won't buy anything Apple sells. Their stuff is all massively overpriced, and frequently doesn't have as many features as competitors' products do. And the whole 'macs just work' is a load of crap. I used them quite a bit in college (because I had to) and I got almost as many crashes and bugs as I did using Windows PCs. Don't get me wrong, Windows has problems of its own, but things are slowly improving, and I've never run into any problems with Windows that I couldn't fix myself.

You are just mad that you spent $1700 more than what you should have. :roll:
I will give you the benefit of the doubt though. Maybe your Apple laptop is equal to a high-end PC.

Newegg.com - ASUS G Series G73JH-A3 NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 17.3" 8GB Memory 1TB HDD 7200rpm BD Combo ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870

You still spent $500 over what you needed to. And Im betting your specs arent as good.

BUUUT... if you want that Apple logo on your computer, you got it. ;)

Is it even close to this model? Newegg.com - SONY VPCF113FX/H NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 16.4" 6GB Memory DDR3 1333 500GB HDD 5400rpm BD Combo NVIDIA GeForce 310M

Why do you feel Apple is better?
The operating system? You can get that for about $240 w/ shipping MegaMacs.com - index.php?action=view&pid=4126006&G=1

I only payed a grand for my Macbook. (Actually my parents did, Christmas before college rules!) Though as soon as I can afford it I'll probably get a MacBook Pro.

The reason I love my Mac is that I've never had a problem with it. About a year and a half with zero problems. It's just been a great computer for me. I can't say that with the PC my family had, it ran slow and sometimes would be so slow it was unbelievable. Also Vista was so confusing I couldn't get anything to work. We had XP on our other comp, and I remember that working alot better, but vista just put a bad taste in my mouth about PC's. So I decided to try the other team, and I loved it. OSX is easy, and it's a good operating system. It does everything I want my computer to do, and it does it well. ( Well except game, but I got my Xbox for that! And hey, we just got Half-Life 2, so were up to 2004! ;) )

Also a big thing about laptops for me atleast is the tracpad. I remember using my friends laptops, and it was hell trying to navigate it after using the tracpad on the Macbook.

I went to the Apple store today on my way out of the mall. Never been in a Apple store.

What did I see????
Suckers.
Apple is made by the same manufacturers that produce PC-based systems. In FACT many times they are using the SAME hardware! The SAME processor.
Now, the customer service is MUCH better than other manufacturers. It should be considering you are paying about $2000 for a $500 laptop. :roll:

iPad = Worthless crap
iPhone = Best product Apple has, yet AT&T is poor and I feel the Blackberry is superior
iPod = Better MP3/4 players available for almost half price.
OS X = Operating System made for very non-technical folks. Its carry-out for people that have a nice kitchen they could simply cook in. ;)

Apple Monitors = Awesome! Best ones out there. Alas, again..... very expensive.

My conclusion is Apple products are very very very overpriced designed for people that are ignorant to hardware and software and demand customer service.

Before I get attacked I have over 10 years providing technology solutions to companies medium sized to enterprise-class. IT managers know Apple is overpriced and now there are no speed advantages for graphic artists.... they are worthless. (years ago there was a performace difference when Apple made their OWN processors)

So there ya have it! :2wave:

So - you deduced what they originally intended?
Apple always marketed their products to be 'easier to use' and less 'technical' - requiring little maintenance. Remember the adds "just plug it in, it works?"

So, you are correct - Apple was never marketed to the tech-crowd. You'll find (as I found) that apple computers lack certain nit-pick 'get into your computer's guts and work on it' type things - like defragging. It claims it doesn't need it.
However, it does.

I switched to Apple for, oooooh, about a year - and that computer is still sitting in a box, quite useless. Too expensive and too damn menial (memory and everything) - and useless. Unlike their lying advertisements - you cannot just use Window's programs on your Mac.

Unlike their lying advertisements - you cannot just use Window's programs on your Mac.

Uh no ****? Different OS architectures, different file types. Sure there are ports of some software [like Microsoft Office], but I don't honestyl think they ever claimed to run Windows exes on OS [whatever version you have of Mac's OS]. Now, you CAN dual boot and that is what I do [or use a virtual machine], so you never lose that ability to use whatever programs you want regardless of OS.

I'll tell you this much, my 3 yr old Macbook Pro beats the stuffing out of my other computers in regards to running MS Flight Simulator [with all the AI, addons, and high scenery density settings] without lagging.

Last edited:
My Dad uses MAC because Rush Limbaugh does.

**** Apple. Google kicks their ass at almost everything. Android is better than iPhone OS. Chrome is better than Safari. Oh, and Google doesn't treat their developers and customers like dog****, unlike Apple.

I can't wait until a decent Android tablet comes out. The iPad looks pretty awesome, but I refuse to get locked in to Apple. I'd rather buy something more open, which I'll be able to switch away from in a few years if I decide I don't like it. When companies try to make their switching costs as high as possible, it's often a sign that they aren't confident in their own products.

Rush hawking the damned things convinced Dad to go Mac.

Still makes no sense to me. Rush isn't a computer expert, why would his opinion matter?

Last edited:
I went to the Apple store today on my way out of the mall. Never been in a Apple store.

What did I see????
Suckers.
Apple is made by the same manufacturers that produce PC-based systems. In FACT many times they are using the SAME hardware! The SAME processor.
Now, the customer service is MUCH better than other manufacturers. It should be considering you are paying about $2000 for a $500 laptop. :roll:

iPad = Worthless crap
iPhone = Best product Apple has, yet AT&T is poor and I feel the Blackberry is superior
iPod = Better MP3/4 players available for almost half price.
OS X = Operating System made for very non-technical folks. Its carry-out for people that have a nice kitchen they could simply cook in. ;)

Apple Monitors = Awesome! Best ones out there. Alas, again..... very expensive.

My conclusion is Apple products are very very very overpriced designed for people that are ignorant to hardware and software and demand customer service.

Before I get attacked I have over 10 years providing technology solutions to companies medium sized to enterprise-class. IT managers know Apple is overpriced and now there are no speed advantages for graphic artists.... they are worthless. (years ago there was a performace difference when Apple made their OWN processors)

So there ya have it! :2wave:

No no no no all wrong. Its called economies of scale. Do you really think PC models are less expensive for no apparent reason? Apple hardware is not massed produced. And of course the processor is the same; there is no such thing as a "different" processor, it is whatever Intel and AMD manufacture; why would Apple create there own hardware? PC's certainly dont, Microsoft certainly does not and Apple is no exception. Intel and AMD does creates all that stuff, its a matter of how these hardware's are utilized. And Apple computers are based primarily off AMD hardware which does give it various advantages over Intel systems which is the standard hardware for PC's. I think until you start a project which requires heavy media coverage, CAD designs like modelling and animation during game design, you wont believe how invaluable Apple PC's really are.

For the standard user of course; its pointless in buying a non-PC. You cannot truly appreciate Apple until you realize the OS restrictions of Windows to deliver certain content.

Last edited:
No no no no all wrong. Its called economies of scale. Do you really think PC models are less expensive for no apparent reason? Apple hardware is not massed produced. And of course the processor is the same; there is no such thing as a "different" processor, it is whatever Intel and AMD manufacture; why would Apple create there own hardware? PC's certainly dont, Microsoft certainly does not and Apple is no exception. Intel and AMD does creates all that stuff, its a matter of how these hardware's are utilized. And Apple computers are based primarily off AMD hardware which does give it various advantages over Intel systems which is the standard hardware for PC's. I think until you start a project which requires heavy media coverage, CAD designs like modelling and animation during game design, you wont believe how invaluable Apple PC's really are.

For the standard user of course; its pointless in buying a non-PC. You cannot truly appreciate Apple until you realize the OS restrictions of Windows to deliver certain content.

You do realize Apple used to make its own processors? :roll:
You also realize the IT managers hate Apple OS because its much more difficult to change, shape and utilize to what they need and want? :roll:

And that Apple computers ARE mass-produced? And they DO fail? I sold about 20 Apple computers last year and one of them FAILED. It broke! :roll:

its not mass produced...Its made by asian people who commit suicde cause they are on 34 hour shifts....And we still have to pay 600$ for a glass screen with an os that is as imagintive as a circule colored blue :roll:

Apple == the death of creativity and developing of technology..
I mean ffs how can you call yourself a technology comepeny when 99% of your time you are fighting to keep others from trying to advance...
If apple had their way they would patten electricity arguing its used in their computers wake up seriously.. I mean look how much hate just one compeny roots...Cause Steve Jobs knows Microsoft is holding apple by its balls :p
I had to sign an online petiton that demands apple to fix its damn LCD screens on macbooks...for over 6 years now they know about this issue and it has not been fixed, why? Cause they know mindless fanboys would still buy it :roll:

my 2 cents...its a cooperation that is what it is...its first goal is to make money, even thou its doing it by overpricing everything, when Microsoft may overprice sometimes but a lot less..
I myself am not a fan of one or another, but Apple has pissed me off with its lack of allowing developers do anything..

I only payed a grand for my Macbook. (Actually my parents did, Christmas before college rules!) Though as soon as I can afford it I'll probably get a MacBook Pro.

The reason I love my Mac is that I've never had a problem with it. About a year and a half with zero problems. It's just been a great computer for me. I can't say that with the PC my family had, it ran slow and sometimes would be so slow it was unbelievable. Also Vista was so confusing I couldn't get anything to work. We had XP on our other comp, and I remember that working alot better, but vista just put a bad taste in my mouth about PC's. So I decided to try the other team, and I loved it. OSX is easy, and it's a good operating system. It does everything I want my computer to do, and it does it well. ( Well except game, but I got my Xbox for that! And hey, we just got Half-Life 2, so were up to 2004! ;) )

Also a big thing about laptops for me atleast is the tracpad. I remember using my friends laptops, and it was hell trying to navigate it after using the tracpad on the Macbook.

My current ( newest modle of the macbook) I got from the compeny I worked at...Not that i wanted it but they gave it to me so meh..I had to develope an iphone/ipad/ipod touch app and I did, after having to pay apple to get tools to develope and then liscenes ect ect ect..

I am on this mac a few weeks...and I already have 10000 of issues on it. the Software runs fine, but the hardware is not worth what they ask for it...the lcd screen is an epic phail and its a known issue of macs thats been ignored by apple for a while...

Also comparing a mac to an older pc is lame and stupid ;)

No no no no all wrong. Its called economies of scale.

Sorry, but the economies of scale argument falls apart when I can build a computer from off-the-shelf parts for cheaper than apple sells a similar product. I'm only building one, and you're telling me apple can't do it cheaper when they're building thousands?

You do realize Apple used to make its own processors? :roll:

What the hell? Nobody is saying they didn't. But your complaining that they dont have "different" processors. Standard PC's use intel - Apple uses AMD technology. What's the problem? There is a reason they no longer manufacture there own hardware; AMD and intel technology is superior, so one would have thought that was a good thing.

You also realize the IT managers hate Apple OS because its much more difficult to change, shape and utilize to what they need and want? :roll:

What IT managers is that then? Because there idiots. You can obtain an OpenSource licence from Apple and tweak major parts of the system. Windows is completely closed source.

And that Apple computers ARE mass-produced? And they DO fail? I sold about 20 Apple computers last year and one of them FAILED. It broke! :roll:

Not to the scale of PC's they aren't, no.

Sorry, but the economies of scale argument falls apart when I can build a computer from off-the-shelf parts for cheaper than apple sells a similar product. I'm only building one, and you're telling me apple can't do it cheaper when they're building thousands?

Sorry, but you possibly couldn't use that argument. Anybody with an Apple Mac would tell you the quality and complexity of the designs, especially the internal designs which stop the need for a large desktop area.

http://www.mrgadget.com.au/catalog/images/apple_mac_g4_used.gif

Sorry, but you possibly couldn't use that argument. Anybody with an Apple Mac would tell you the quality and complexity of the designs, especially the internal designs which stop the need for a large desktop area.

It depends on what is more important. Style or function. I can build a system that will be far fastsr than anything Apple has on the market, at half the cost. Will it look as cool? Probably not. Depends on how important that is to you.

And just as a disclaimer, I am not an Apple-hater. I love my iPhone, and I think Apple makes amazing products.

It depends on what is more important. Style or function. I can build a system that will be far fastsr than anything Apple has on the market, at half the cost. Will it look as cool? Probably not. Depends on how important that is to you.

This is it exactly. Performance and price are much more important to me than how it looks. My only aesthetic concern is "will it fit on my desk", and I have a big desk. And when building it myself I know exactly how good or poor the quality of the components I'm using is, it's not a grab bag of whatever the manufacturer chose.

Still makes no sense to me. Rush isn't a computer expert, why would his opinion matter?

Why do companies pay celebrities to hawk their wares? Because people fall for it. Dad went MAC and I quit providing him Tech Support.

PC's have one massive advantage over MAC.

My PC, the one that died earlier this year, was 5 years old. I cannabilized, upgraded, altered, tweaked, poked, prodded and changed out parts to keep it running and able to do what I wanted it too. The CPU, MB and Case were all that remained. Everything else got changed out over time. New Grphx cards, ram, sound card, power supply...

You name it, I did it.

Try that **** with a MAC. Keep a MAC running for 5 years able to run the latest games and programs. Just cannot be done.

PC's have one massive advantage over MAC.

My PC, the one that died earlier this year, was 5 years old. I cannabilized, upgraded, altered, tweaked, poked, prodded and changed out parts to keep it running and able to do what I wanted it too. The CPU, MB and Case were all that remained. Everything else got changed out over time. New Grphx cards, ram, sound card, power supply...

You name it, I did it.

Try that **** with a MAC. Keep a MAC running for 5 years able to run the latest games and programs. Just cannot be done.

Thats actually very true. But people dont quiet understand the purpose of a MAC. Its not built to play games. Its built to offer users a powerful media experience, and it does. For your standard user; journalist, gamer, programmer - you can do without. For your youtuber, game designer, CAD artist, modeller, animator and music editor - its invaluable.

Last edited:
This is it exactly. Performance and price are much more important to me than how it looks. My only aesthetic concern is "will it fit on my desk", and I have a big desk. And when building it myself I know exactly how good or poor the quality of the components I'm using is, it's not a grab bag of whatever the manufacturer chose.

That is true. But design isn't the highlight of Apple - sure, it ups the price, but AMD processors offer things intel subsequently lacks. The OS itself is also highly flexible. PC's are far more suitable for a lot more people, but MAC's specialize in a field of computing that Microsoft has not created an OS yet which can compete.

Last edited:
All in all, what you do say is completely correct. Its not worth a standard user buying an Apple, no way in hell.

Actually, it can to some extent that isn't true - the hard disk, amount of RAM, and video card are but 3 areas easily upgradable, and if you want to take things above and beyond, even with risks associated with it, if you have an iMac, Mac Life has an article on how to install a core 2 duo processor.

Somewhat limited? Yes, impossible to upgrade it to be able to run current high demand programs? Not really, if you actually want to put the effort into it.

Speaking of games, I have boot camped windows to my mac in the past and was able to play games perfectly without lags or anything :)

Back
Top Bottom