• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Apple sucks

Glowpun

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Hey guys,

Anyone out there have the new model Apple desk top? I wanted to attach a file to my email but I noticed there is nothing in the toolbar that allows the user to attach a file?

This is frustrating. I could hang the people in my computer department who recommended that I get an Apple desktop. The PC computer I have at my work office, though complicated, at least has the features I need or look for. With this Apple I could not find the attach file button something so basic but is not to be found!
Dam!!!!:roll:

Specifics are required, however, perhaps this will help in the meantime.

How to Attach Files via Drag-and-Drop in Mac OS X Mail - About Email

To attach a file to a message in Mac OS X Mail:

Grab the file you want to attach in a Finder window or from the desktop.
Drop it on the Mac OS X Mail Dock icon.
You can also drop the file on a message composition window.
Mac OS X Mail automatically inserts the file as an attachment.

Hey guys,

Anyone out there have the new model Apple desk top? I wanted to attach a file to my email but I noticed there is nothing in the toolbar that allows the user to attach a file?

This is frustrating. I could hang the people in my computer department who recommended that I get an Apple desktop. The PC computer I have at my work office, though complicated, at least has the features I need or look for. With this Apple I could not find the attach file button something so basic but is not to be found!

Not being able to figure out how to use a Macintosh is not the fault of the Macintosh. Indeed, given that a consistent, logical, intuitive user interface as long been one of the Macintosh's big selling points, it doesn't make you look at all good to complain in a public forum that you can't figure out how to use it.

Not being able to figure out how to use a Macintosh is not the fault of the Macintosh. Indeed, given that a consistent, logical, intuitive user interface as long been one of the Macintosh's big selling points, it doesn't make you look at all good to complain in a public forum that you can't figure out how to use it.

No the alleged consistent, logical, intuitive user interface has been a marketing tool for Apple.. big difference. Just because Apple says it is, does not mean it is, especially if you are use to Windows.

But saying that, as far as I remember.. there aint a big difference between Windows and Mac on the OP specific front.

Apple-sucks-right-now.jpg

Hey guys,

Your complaint is about as stupid somebody saying Whirlpool sucks because they can't further out how to bake a pie. :roll:

Edit: If you haven't smashed it yet, I'll buy it off of you for $50.

Last edited:
It's not easy to make the switch from PC to Mac. One misses things like a print screen button, use of the home and end keys, stuff like that.
Thank God for Google. W/o Google I would have given up on the Mac I use.

Mac DOES suck, though. Everytime they update their OS, which is once every couple years or so, you have to update ALL of your software, because they don't make patches. Now, sure, maybe using something like photoshop CS is considered outdated...but it's all any decent photog needs...but wait, you just moved to the latest Mac OS? Either buy the new photoshop or...download gimp, or some other freeware. Apply that to ALL of your software, and you quickly see a big hidden cost of using the apple os. In addition, lets say you want to update your Mac, maybe add some ram, new video card. Better get ready to PAY. And now they use pentium processors, so they are just as succeptable to viruses as any other computer. The ONLY strong point they have is macs use of one universal color space...so, if your printer uses a Mac at his shop, and you use one too, no color adjustments and trial and error involved in getting a perfect print involved. Hardly worth to me anymore. My next desktop is going to be a dell xps we are selling at BJs for 700 bucks.

Have used Apple, Windows and Linux. Apple Rules.

Your complaint is about as stupid somebody saying Whirlpool sucks because they can't further out how to bake a pie. :roll:

Edit: If you haven't smashed it yet, I'll buy it off of you for $50.

Oh...crap! I just noticed that my iPhone auto-corrected my typo in "figure" to "further". You're right, Apple does suck. [/SARCASM]

In addition, lets say you want to update your Mac, maybe add some ram, new video card. Better get ready to PAY.

Modern Macintoshes use the same RAM, video cards, and other accessories that modern PCs do. It costs the same to buy such an accessory regardless of whether you intend to put it in a PC or a Macintosh.

And now they use pentium processors, so they are just as succeptable [sic] to viruses as any other computer.

The susceptibility to malware is a function of the operating system, not of the CPU. MacOS X is based on Unix, which has been an inherently-secure operating system since long before Windows existed. And it's just as secure running on an Intel processor as it ever was running on a PowerPC processor, and as its ancestor, NeXTStep was running on a 68030 or 68040. Unix, in any form, always has and always will be more secure than Windows ever will be. This isn't to say that no malware ever has or ever will exist to target MacOS X; but it remains an unalterable fact that it always has and always will be more difficult and less effective to target MacOS X or any other Unix-based system with malware than it ever has or ever will be to similarly target Windows.

Hey guys,

Drag and drop the file on the window.

Modern Macintoshes use the same RAM, video cards, and other accessories that modern PCs do. It costs the same to buy such an accessory regardless of whether you intend to put it in a PC or a Macintosh.

The susceptibility to malware is a function of the operating system, not of the CPU. MacOS X is based on Unix, which has been an inherently-secure operating system since long before Windows existed. And it's just as secure running on an Intel processor as it ever was running on a PowerPC processor, and as its ancestor, NeXTStep was running on a 68030 or 68040. Unix, in any form, always has and always will be more secure than Windows ever will be. This isn't to say that no malware ever has or ever will exist to target MacOS X; but it remains an unalterable fact that it always has and always will be more difficult and less effective to target MacOS X or any other Unix-based system with malware than it ever has or ever will be to similarly target Windows.

As much as one can like the BSD underpinnings of the operating system, the most important defense was relative market share. If the OS was that much more popular, the bullseye would become that much bigger, and would have more incentive.

Mac OS doesn't have magical powers of security, no matter how much we fans of that OS would like to believe.

It's not easy to make the switch from PC to Mac. One misses things like a print screen button, use of the home and end keys, stuff like that.

The Print Screen button on a modern Windows machine doesn't appear to do anything, so what is there to miss?

As far as Home, End, Page-Up, Page-Down, and so on, the Macintosh has these (at least, mine does), and they work about the same way as on a Widows machine.

The Print Screen button on a modern Windows machine doesn't appear to do anything, so what is there to miss?
It copies the screenshot to the clipboard.
As far as Home, End, Page-Up, Page-Down, and so on, the Macintosh has these (at least, mine does), and they work about the same way as on a Widows machine.
They do not.
home and end move the cursor to the beginning or end of a line on a PC
on a Mac they move the focus of the screen, but not the cursor, to the top or bottom of a page.

It copies the screenshot to the clipboard.

They do not.
home and end move the cursor to the beginning or end of a line on a PC
on a Mac they move the focus of the screen, but not the cursor, to the top or bottom of a page.

Oh, you're right. Well, sort of.

Try using the arrow keys while holding down the command key. Command-left moves the cursor to the start of the line, command-right to the end, and so on. If it really bothers you, there are any number of free or inexpensive utilities that you can use to remap the Home, End, and other keys to the key combinations that do what you want.

I've had a Mac since 1987 so I'm kind of familiar.

There are a few programs worth adding to bring perfection to an already superior OS.

Startly - QuicKeys 4 for Mac OS X will allow you to make any key do anything your heart desires.

Amazon.com: Dashlane Password Manager App & Secure eWallet: Appstore for Android whic is FREE, will assemble all your password, credit card, shipping info for you. It's FREE unless you want to keep it in the cloud for multiple devices.

MacKeeper is an anti-virus and overall cleanup program I reccomend.

Oh, you're right. Well, sort of.
Try using the arrow keys while holding down the command key. Command-left moves the cursor to the start of the line, command-right to the end, and so on. If it really bothers you, there are any number of free or inexpensive utilities that you can use to remap the Home, End, and other keys to the key combinations that do what you want.
I know. I used Google.

Also, the shift + capslock on Mac's is screwy too.

Given how much confidence you were speaking with earlier about PCs, one would assume that you had more experience with PCs than it seems you do.
I am not so sure that your opinion about the relative merits of one v the other is that well informed.

I know. I used Google.

Given how much confidence you were speaking with earlier about PCs, one would assume that you had more experience with PCs than it seems you do.
I am not so sure that your opinion about the relative merits of one v the other is that well informed.

It's been a while since I made very much use of PCs. From 1986 through 2003, I was a computer programmer/data analyst, working professionally mostly on PCs. Windows didn't even yet exist in any meaningful form at the start of that period. For my own personal use, I always preferred the Macintosh platform. I was the very first person to buy a Macintosh ][ from a dealer in Santa Barbara, and I've had a string of Macintosh's since then. My wife prefers PCs, and has had a string of them in the time we've been together. Currently, I have a ten-year-old Power Mac G4 running MacOS X 10.4.11 “Tiger”, and my wife has a desktop-type PC running Windows XP, and a laptop running Windows 8, and an older laptop running Windows Vista.

So I used to be quite familiar with Windows, up to Windows 2000, and comfortable enough working professionally with it, but never to the point that I didn't find the Macintosh platform to be far preferable for my own personal use. I don't use it much any more. I occasionally use my wife's computers, but mostly, I use my own. When I do have occasion to use my wife's computers, I find myself fumbling around a great deal. Not only is my past experience with Windows rather stale, now, but it seems that Windows has not maintained much consistency from one major version to the next. XP is similar enough to 2000 that I can still work fairly well on it; but Vista is different enough to be confusing; and Windows 8 is, well, it's Windows 8—even my wife is still finding it confusing compared to past Windows versions.

I earlier mentioned Apple's reputation for having a consistent, intuitive user interface, and Apple has managed to maintain it across its entire history. The only really major change in the user interface came with MacOS X, and even then, they did a remarkable job of keeping it easy for someone familiar with “Classic” MacOS 9 and lower to figure out, given how radically-different the underlying operating system is. I suppose it helped me, in making the transition, that I had, at that point, some considerable experience with a NeXT, and was already familiar with the user interface elements that MacOS X inherited from NeXTStep.

Actually, it's the PC platform that is “screwy” in this regard. Long before electronic computers even existed, the caps lock key worked in a consistent way on typewriters. With the cap lock engaged, the device typed uppercase letters only. Actually, it was a shift lock on typewriters, so numbers got shifted to the symbols above them on their respective keys as well.

When electronic computer terminals came about, they followed the convention established by typewriters, that when the cap lock was engaged, all letters were uppercase. They did change the behavior only in that the caps lock now applied only to letters,and not to numbers or other symbols.

It was IBM that came out with keyboards where, if you had the caps lock engaged, shifting would get you lowercase letters while leaving the caps lock engaged. This was nonstandard behavior when IBM implemented it, and it remains common only on those systems that descend from what IBM put out. Of course the Macintosh doesn't behave like a PC in this respect; it follows the convention that existed since long before the PC did, and which is followed by nearly every other system that isn't a PC or a close relative thereto. You only consider the PC's behavior in this respect to be “normal” because the PC has become so dominant in the personal computer market; but there's no rational reason to expect this behavior to be followed by non-PCs.

It's ... NeXTStep.
Not interested in playing OS wars w/ you.

It sounds as if you agree with me that "it's not easy to make the switch from PC to Mac. One misses things... Thank God for Google."

It only takes about an hour or so for me to get over trying use alt+shift+arrow to highlight but longer for the some of the others.
It'll be another coupla hours until I stop hitting alt instead of ctrl.
alt+c doesn't put anything on the clipboard
alt+v doesn't paste

Hey guys,

Just drag it into the email; click, drag and done. Way easier than Windows

This whole Apple/windows/linux/unix thing has been going on forever. I spent years in a variety of computer support positions and helping people with computers. On a personal level I have wanted to like Apple, but hate their OS. It does not mean it is a terrible OS or system, just that it is not for me. A computer is a tool. the OS is an interface. People are different, and because of this different OS makes perfect sense. I have seen people do great things with Apple. I have also had my car call the police on me because i connected my Iphone to it with bluetooth. I have had some great windows computers, and I have seen machines that I am amazed people don't toss out the window in frustration.

The biggest problems I have with Apple are more to do with their company rather than their product for the longest time. Apple screwed itself in the beginning with proprietary systems and the attempt to control everything on it's machines. Intel knew to srive competition even though it's chips were substandard at the time. They excelled because the competition drove their chip making to it's highest end, and dragged AMD up there with them while Apple really languished relying on their chips inherent hierarchy to drag them through. Unix went back end and kept it's place in an elite structure while windows sought to put their OS, and intels processors on every workdesk and in every home. It was clear for a long time windows actually let itself be pirated for that purpose. Windows standardized the OS interface for a while through it's vision. That was a smart thing to do, and like all smart things they eventually lost their edge.

Apple finally got a place where people were looking for brand names. Your phone is not just a tool, it is an accessory now, and that Apple logo sells it. Phones and pads were what Apple built it's image first company around. they do not sell machines, they sell an image, and you do not want your image under your desk where no one can see it. You want it in your hand where everyone can know you have it.

In the end all of these arguments over which OS is best are pointless. It is what you work best with. I learned a long time ago that a comfortable tool that you can feel at one with and operate with ease is the best thing. Some people will buy image, some people will buy brands, but the reality is these OS have a feel to them, and that is what makes you comfortable and makes you the best. I think Mac Oss' suck. It is because i find them frustrating and cumbersome with some really odd ways of doing things. It took me 2 days to learn android, and it took me two days to be a raving lunatic and want to jam a free iphone up the ass of the verizon person who sold it to me. That is not everyone's experience, but it was mine.

Linux, Mac, and windows are all just interfaces. Yes, they can all work well, and yes they all have their vulnerabilities. If you are of the group who thinks Mac and Unix are unhackable you are a moron. Feel glad you have a choice and do not have to rely on that OS you hate, and quit trying to tell which OS is better. look at windows. they dominated for years and screwed up by missing the pad and phone market and now they are trying to play catchup just like Apple was many years back when they did not capitalize on cheap computers in every office and every home because they had a brand. You are not going to use your computer's full extent anyway unless you are doing a business or some huge multimedia crap. if you have gotten to that point you are probably looking for a system that doesn't come from best buy anymore.

This is not accurate.

Apple - Mac Pro

See those video cards? Those are custom Apple video cards on custom boards. Replacing or upgrading those will cost you huge sums of money. See that CPU board? Custom. Also, if that RAM is custom set to 1866MHz, that will cost you extra too. Same for the custom NAND storage.

And the All In Ones likely have the same custom fittings that non-Apple All In Ones have. Don't buy all in ones from any brand.

You can still get old Mac Pros that are largely just PCs with OS running on them. Your comment holds true there. But sometimes there are driver issues with OS.

As for laptops, the only thing you can replace on virtually any laptop that's stock is the hard drive and RAM. Apple has moved to custom fans.

Back
Top Bottom