• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Apple Strikes Again

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
A few years ago I bought a sound bar to go with our new tv. It is a SONOS and I added a left and right addition to the system. What I didn’t realize was that I could play my recorded music, (downloaded from CDs.) A few weeks ago, I tried to play a song on the system and it would not work. I didn’t think much about it and found another pastime. Yesterday I tried again and found that there was an upgrade. So I downloaded the upgrade and still could not get my songs to play through the SONOS system. I finally got someone from customer service and the long and short was that I needed to subscribe to APPLE Music, ($4.99 monthly,) if I wanted to access my own record-deduct music. I am mostly a fan of APPLE, but they come across as very greedy. Anything that passes through their system has a cost..........

A few years ago I bought a sound bar to go with our new tv. It is a SONOS and I added a left and right addition to the system. What I didn’t realize was that I could play my recorded music, (downloaded from CDs.) A few weeks ago, I tried to play a song on the system and it would not work. I didn’t think much about it and found another pastime. Yesterday I tried again and found that there was an upgrade. So I downloaded the upgrade and still could not get my songs to play through the SONOS system. I finally got someone from customer service and the long and short was that I needed to subscribe to APPLE Music, ($4.99 monthly,) if I wanted to access my own record-deduct music. I am mostly a fan of APPLE, but they come across as very greedy. Anything that passes through their system has a cost..........

Apple makes excellent hardware and software.
If you're the kind of person who wants to have a guarantee of "it just WORKS" without having to know anything, Apple is the best bet.
It IS going to cost you however the reward is, you just push the button and "it just works".

If you learn a little bit about the software and hardware, you can use Windows based stuff, and if you learn a WHOLE LOT, you can use Linux based stuff.

Apple is like having a nice fast muscle car, but the hood is permanently locked, and you can't do any modifications to it.

No thanks.

Apple is like having a nice fast muscle car, but the hood is permanently locked, and you can't do any modifications to it.

No thanks.
And you can never leave the eco system without huge pain.

No thanks.

My brother has the same opinion. He is fairly tech savvy, I ask him regularly, “what code have you written?”.........crickets, aside, he is also working n a novel...

Apple works.....if you had a platform, you would want to maximize the income from that platform..........I tolerate it because I have seen the alternative...

If you're the kind of person who wants to have a guarantee of "it just WORKS" without having to know anything, Apple is the best bet.
It IS going to cost you however the reward is, you just push the button and "it just works".

If you learn a little bit about the software and hardware, you can use Windows based stuff, and if you learn a WHOLE LOT, you can use Linux based stuff.
10 years ago sure... Now days.. Not so much.

No thanks.

Id say even that is exaggerating and optimistic

id say its like having a . . hmmm.. . avg to above-average vehicle with the hood and most things permanently locked without fees to access if its even possible and only select garages able to help

10 years ago sure what?
Not sure what OS you're referring to, sorry.

Both. Apple has built up a myth about "it just works". It might have been true in the early days of thier products (regardless of OS), but it is certainly not today. Apple products are just as flawed and buggy, if not more, as thier competitors.

Wholeheartedly disagree. I hate Apple with every fiber of my being, mostly because it DOESN'T "just work." More specifically, the things that USED to work now DON'T for no obvious reason whatsoever.

I have an iPod Touch that I got after my iPod Classic took a dump. No biggie, sometimes things stop working. Except now the interface is stupid. I listen to a lot of podcasts. On my Classic I could download whatever I wanted from iTunes, then set up a smart playlist to play, in order of release or randomized, all unplayed podcast episodes. Now, for no reason at all, I can't do that. I have to select each episode individually from the Podcast app. This is stupid. I used to be able to play them all until I hit pause. Can't do that now. Apple removed a functionality that worked perfectly well for no reason at all. Google it. Literally no one thinks this was a smart or even explainable move. But someone at Apple thought it should be this way, and with Apple it's their way or **** off.

I use them because they're pretty much the only option, because everyone in the podcast world uses them. If there were another realistic option, I would ditch Apple in an instant. They are shit.

Both. Apple has built up a myth about "it just works". It might have been true in the early days of thier products (regardless of OS), but it is certainly not today. Apple products are just as flawed and buggy, if not more, as thier competitors.

I started out editing motion picture film on Steenbeck flatbeds, then migrated to videotape based offline editing with computer aided online "assembly", then moved into Lightworks (early 1990's) LaserEdit, EditDroid and then Pinnacle and AVID systems. I picked up on "KeyGrip" which shortly after was renamed Final Cut, but I was offended by the price differential for not much more in performance, so I stayed with Win based AVID for a long while.
Then I moved to Adobe Premiere while still using AVID for most of my better paying work.
For quick and dirty jobs I discovered Sony Vegas Pro.

About three years ago I began fooling around with DaVinci Resolve and I love it, so between Resolve and Vegas Pro I have pretty much all the tools I need.
All of the editing I did for Local 776 in the 90's was AVID based, using enterprise grade HP Z-series workstations designed in "bespoke" fashion specifically for AVID.
There were plenty of Apple based AVID workstations but I simply stuck with what was familiar to me, and that's how I built my own workstations as well.
By the way, of all the great big wowzer NLE programs out there, you'd be surprised which one racks up some of the most famous films ever made.

It's Lightworks!
And that NLE first came out in 1989.
Use in films and TV series

Anything that Thelma Schoonmaker considers professional is aces in my book.

I started out editing motion picture film on Steenbeck flatbeds, then migrated to videotape based offline editing with computer aided online "assembly", then moved into Lightworks (early 1990's) LaserEdit, EditDroid and then Pinnacle and AVID systems. I picked up on "KeyGrip" which shortly after was renamed Final Cut, but I was offended by the price differential for not much more in performance, so I stayed with Win based AVID for a long while.
Then I moved to Adobe Premiere while still using AVID for most of my better paying work.
For quick and dirty jobs I discovered Sony Vegas Pro.

About three years ago I began fooling around with DaVinci Resolve and I love it, so between Resolve and Vegas Pro I have pretty much all the tools I need.
All of the editing I did for Local 776 in the 90's was AVID based, using enterprise grade HP Z-series workstations designed in "bespoke" fashion specifically for AVID.
There were plenty of Apple based AVID workstations but I simply stuck with what was familiar to me, and that's how I built my own workstations as well.
By the way, of all the great big wowzer NLE programs out there, you'd be surprised which one racks up some of the most famous films ever made.

It's Lightworks!
And that NLE first came out in 1989.
Use in films and TV series

Anything that Thelma Schoonmaker considers professional is aces in my book.

There is no doubt that familiarity is a key point of any IT business... it is not easy to switch. It is one of the reasons that companies dont just switch to Linux to save money... the cost and heartache in retraining people is too much.

However Apple as a company has built up quite a bit of myths over the decades about their product and still live of it. We all remember how they boasted about "Macs dont get virus" for over a decade on their website, only to have it disappear overnight because more and more malware and virus were being designed for Macs and there was almost no defence system in place at the time.

There is no doubt that in the early years, Apple dominated the movie, music and photo industries because they actually designed machines for said industries. But that is decades ago and they have ignored it since I would say the iPhone came out. Until the M1 chip came out, you could get a faster and more powerful machine to run your video/music/photo editing tools on, if you bought a Windows machine.. just a fact.... unless you were stuck with FinalCut of course. But you really had to be crazy buy a Mac to run Adobe products...

That has changed with the M1 chip, although there are drawbacks still with the M1. But yet again a myth is being created by Apple about the new M1 chip and its superiority over all others.. and that is a problem. Still dont understand how Apple could create such a power chip and yet not have it support more than 2 monitors... or the loads of other limitations on the chip.

Anyways, point is, "just works" is an Apple myth that is not factual in 2021.

Back
Top Bottom