• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Apple Dumps GOP

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
This is going to leave a mark.

Apple won't aid GOP convention over Trump - POLITICO

Apple has told Republican leaders it will not provide funding or other support for the party’s 2016 presidential convention, as it's done in the past, citing Donald Trump’s controversial comments about women, immigrants and minorities.
Unlike Facebook, Google and Microsoft, which have all said they will provide some support to the GOP event in Cleveland next month, Apple decided against donating technology or cash to the effort...

By declining to provide support, Apple joins a short list of tech companies taking a stand directly against Trump. Under pressure from activists at ColorofChange.org, HP, Inc., a major donor to the GOP convention in 2012, announced in June it would not help fund the convention in Cleveland.
“We want them to divest from hate. We want them to pull all their money and support,” said Mary Alice Crim, field director for Free Press Action Fund, which is part of the anti-Trump campaign.

I would not be surprised to see more companies follow Apple's lead.

A private company refuses to serve a customer because of their beliefs? I thought we were all supposed to find that abhorrent....

A private company refuses to serve a customer because of their beliefs? I thought we were all supposed to find that abhorrent....

Lots of private companies walk away from bigots and racists. It's good business to do so.

The same reason why many outdoor sporting companies avoided Obama.

Big effing deal.

It only matters to non thinkers who let others make decisions for them.

It's a sign, IMO, that this Trump thing is going to be a disaster, to use his own words.

Not really serving a customer, as the article points out it is a donation to the party, which should be illegal anyways but to each their own.

If Trump gains an advantage in the polls and looks like he will beat Hillary, you can bet Apple will keep a very low profile and might even change their tune. They have to do business no matter who is President.

The same reason why many outdoor sporting companies avoided Obama.

Big effing deal.

It only matters to non thinkers who let others make decisions for them.

Or an attempt to please their shareholders, their share price has been declining recently.

Or an attempt to please their shareholders, their share price has been declining recently.

I never liked boycotts period, unless a company was blatantly violating common decency.

Let Apple make this decision.................... and see what happens to their sales.

"Refuses to service" is an inaccurate presentation of this situation.

Apple is a ludicrously liberal company, free speech means nothing to them.

Free speech. Free speech.

That's right people. If you don't use your private business' funds to donate money and free products to the GOP, you hate freedom of speech.

I never liked boycotts period, unless a company was blatantly violating common decency.

Let Apple make this decision.................... and see what happens to their sales.

They were not selling selling anything in the first place, they just refused to contribute. They are Apple, they don't really have much to lose, they have a larger cash reserve than the GDP of most countries.

This has literally nothing to do with free speech unless you want to debate Citizens United. Or do you think companies should be forced to donate to political parties?

This has literally nothing to do with free speech unless you want to debate Citizens United. Or do you think companies should be forced to donate to political parties?

Just to the GOP, naturally. If a private business donates to democrats they're corrupt.

on what planet is apple a private company

What's that I hear? "Hello, I'm Cortana... How may I help you?"

I would not be surprised to see MS follow suit on this. The pressure will mount, especially as Donald says more and more stupid stuff.

I would not be surprised to see MS follow suit on this. The pressure will mount, especially as Donald says more and more stupid stuff.

I am surprised not all tech companies are boycotting it on principal. Trump seems to want to undermine everything they do and stand for.

I am surprised not all tech companies are boycotting it on principal. Trump seems to want to undermine everything they do and stand for.

IMO, they have been waiting for the first shoe to drop. It just dropped.

Apple issues stock and has investors. It is a publically held company.

I meant it's not a government-owned company.

Back
Top Bottom