• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Appeals judges say NYC's ban on big, sugary drinks at restaurants is unconstitutional

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Appeals court strikes down NYC's big-soda ban - Yahoo! Finance

NEW YORK (AP) -- New York City's crackdown on big, sugary sodas is staying on ice.

An appeals court ruled Tuesday that New York City's Board of Health exceeded its legal authority and acted unconstitutionally when it tried to put a size limit on soft drinks served in city restaurants.

The state Supreme Court Appellate Division panel upheld a lower court decision that had delayed the measure before it took effect in March.

Good! That was too much big government interference. That's +1 for the people.

Re: Appeals judges say NYC's ban on big, sugary drinks at restaurants is unconstituti

And the city is appealing the decision. They should be ashamed of themselves wasting taxpayer money on such foolishness.

That's it, they don't care since it's taxpayer money.

Re: Appeals judges say NYC's ban on big, sugary drinks at restaurants is unconstituti

Appeals court strikes down NYC's big-soda ban - Yahoo! Finance

Good! That was too much big government interference. That's +1 for the people.

While I think it's a good idea to limit how much of that crap you drink, and while it and other crap we consume, contributes to obesity and illnesses that costs all of us a lot of money, a mayor shouldn't be telling how much of something people can have. He's not a parent. So we agree.

While I think it's a good idea to limit how much of that crap you drink, and while it and other crap we consume, contributes to obesity and illnesses that costs all of us a lot of money, a mayor shouldn't be telling how much of something people can have. He's not a parent. So we agree.

Next he'll tell you how big a pizza you can have.

And the city is appealing the decision.
They should be ashamed of themselves wasting taxpayer money on such foolishness.

The city will lose, and the people will win.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in trying to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan

Activist judges!

Activist judges!

That is just plain moronic. The turd in the mayor's office needs constant swirlies from the courts to cure him of his napoleonic delusions

That is just plain moronic. The turd in the mayor's office needs constant swirlies from the courts to cure him of his napoleonic delusions

I was quoting you, so of course it's moronic.

I was quoting you, so of course it's moronic.

Where have I said activist judges on this thread or any others in say the time since you joined this forum. Looks like yet another lie from HOJ

Activist judges!

LMAO, that was my first thought when I read the snippet online. For all 'conservatives' whine about activist judges striking down laws 'without accountability' here is an example of the courts striking down a law the 'conservatives' don't like so it is all honky dory! :roll:

Then of course the 'wasting taxpayer money' is trotted out when it seems the GOP and 'conservatives' spend endless taxpayer dollars voting to repeal Obamacare (Boehner says don't judge the House on new laws passed but on the number they repeal- so far they seem unable to do either) or endless cycle of states passing laws the courts strike down and then the follow-on appeals that change nothing but the amount of OUR money spent.

But it is nice to see their constant tirade of 'activist' judges supporting government over reach gets a, if only temporary, sock in it... :peace

LMAO, that was my first thought when I read the snippet online. For all 'conservatives' whine about activist judges striking down laws 'without accountability' here is an example of the courts striking down a law the 'conservatives' don't like so it is all honky dory! :roll:

Then of course the 'wasting taxpayer money' is trotted out when it seems the GOP and 'conservatives' spend endless taxpayer dollars voting to repeal Obamacare (Boehner says don't judge the House on new laws passed but on the number they repeal- so far they seem unable to do either) or endless cycle of states passing laws the courts strike down and then the follow-on appeals that change nothing but the amount of OUR money spent.

But it is nice to see their constant tirade of 'activist' judges supporting government over reach gets a, if only temporary, sock in it... :peace

It's the total intellectual bankruptcy of conservatism. Look at turtle's post -- I was quoting him!

Where have I said activist judges on this thread or any others in say the time since you joined this forum. Looks like yet another lie from HOJ

Keep pretending, Turtle. We love it.

It's the total intellectual bankruptcy of conservatism. Look at turtle's post -- I was quoting him!

Intellectual bankruptcy should be referenced in almost every post you make

Keep pretending, Turtle. We love it.

feel free to find a quote. Someone who claims to be as intelligent as you do should have no trouble finding one of my posts since October 2012 that complains about "activist" judges

Next he'll tell you how big a pizza you can have.

actually ... he knew better than that in NY ... soda you might get away with, but pizza? he knew better ... that's like the Mayor of Philly saying, "O.K., I want to limit the size of Cheese Steaks."

feel free to find a quote. Someone who claims to be as intelligent as you do should have no trouble finding one of my posts since October 2012 that complains about "activist" judges

All of your posts are in the Library of Congress, so we'll need a little time ...

All of your posts are in the Library of Congress, so we'll need a little time ...

have at it dude. Activist judges is not a term I tend to use much.

It's not an improper term necessarily, though it is often misused, like many which require complex consideration. It's absurd to say a judge can't make a decision on personal opinion as opposed to the law, thought it's also absurd to say any ruling which does not fit your beliefs is judicial activism.

The city will lose, and the people will win.

No, since the people are footing the bill, the people lose too. The only way the people can win is if the politicians have to pay back the taxpayers for the money they wasted out of their own pockets.

You just admitted you used it.

Jesus.

Do you believe any court ruling to be appropriate?

No, just the vapid reasoning of conservatives as it relates to constitutional interpretations. The term "activist judges" -- invented by conservatives (and used by Turtle by his own admission above) -- is intellectually dishonest. It's another reason why conservatism is bankrupt.

You just admitted you used it.

Jesus.

YOur fixation on a term I have not used in reference to the judges in this matter is just more proof of your goal here being to bait other posters and to post complete idiocy

Back
Top Bottom