• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Appeals court: Texas voter ID law violates Voting Rights Act

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
AUSTIN — Texas' voter ID law violates a key section of the Voting Rights Act, a federal appeals court affirmed Wednesday, striking down a controversial measure passed by the state's Republican-led legislature in 2011

I am happy to see that the 5th Circuit has just smacked Jim Crow right in the chops. Although the court cited racial discrimination as the reason to overturn the Texas law, this decision is also going to help senior citizens and students, by removing requirements which were determined to be burdensome, and thus violated Section 2 of the Civil Rights Law. However, the court determined that the Texas law was designed to keep as many black people from voting as possible.

Good for them.

Article is here.

Never understood how getting an ID is racist. The same people that think voter ID laws are evil, are the ones that want massive background checks for guns. Personally, I have no problem with people getting guns having a background check. But I also think you should have to show a state ID to vote.

since when is making sure people are allowed to vote in this country discrimination?

America is going down hill fast and it will be the courts that send us there.

Never understood how getting an ID is racist. The same people that think voter ID laws are evil, are the ones that want massive background checks for guns. Personally, I have no problem with people getting guns having a background check. But I also think you should have to show a state ID to vote.

you have to present an id to do half the things you do in this country and anything that regards the state.
so I guess all those laws are discriminating as well.

I guess that means the next time a cop asks to see a license just tell him that him requiring me to show him an id is discrimination
according to this court ruling.

I am happy to see that the 5th Circuit has just smacked Jim Crow right in the chops. Although the court cited racial discrimination as the reason to overturn the Texas law, this decision is also going to help senior citizens and students, by removing requirements which were determined to be burdensome, and thus violated Section 2 of the Civil Rights Law. However, the court determined that the Texas law was designed to keep as many black people from voting as possible.

Good for them.

Article is here.
Link is behind a pay wall.
Here is another.
ERROR: The requested URL could not be retrieved

Interesting. I didn't get walled, and I didn't pay anything. Might be due to the fact that I have adblock installed on my Firefox browser. Anyways, thanx for the second link.

I have ad block plus and it opens to subscribe.

I don't get it. You can get an ID for free from the state, if you provide a birth certificate to prove who you are and your citizenship status. Similar to what you have to provide to get SNAP or other government assistance programs in Texas like TANF, or Medicaid, but no one is saying that SNAP or other government assistance programs are racist. Why is that? Maybe it's the limitations on the types of ID allowed? But, I can't believe that demanding proof of citizenship and eligibility to vote is oppressive to folks that have to show the same basic identification to get any of the programs that these same people tend to widely use.

Maybe allow other types of official ID's? As long as they're official and not something that could be counterfeited.

Cool.

Now 16-year-olds can vote. Now A.C.O.R.N. can load up busses in Tijuana and Juarez with new voters. I can now vote in every precinct in my city!

If you don't need an ID to vote, you shouldn't need an ID to do anything.

Interesting. I didn't get walled, and I didn't pay anything. Might be due to the fact that I have adblock installed on my Firefox browser. Anyways, thanx for the second link.

One thing Firefox does for you is hide your history, cookies, and other tracking details from websites, so paywalls like this one don't pop-up, which can also be blocked by their pop-up blocker. I use EI for sites like DP, HULU, Netflix, and others where it helps to have the cookies working, and Firefox for blind surfing.

However, the court determined that the Texas law was designed to keep as many black people from voting as possible.

Good for them.

Because black people are way too stupid to get an ID. You're right.

It prevents illegal aliens from voting.

Good for them.

Article is here.

Based on what evidence?

Because black people are way too stupid to get an ID. You're right.

You have promise as a speechwriter for Donald Trump.

you have to present an id to do half the things you do in this country and anything that regards the state.
so I guess all those laws are discriminating as well.

I guess that means the next time a cop asks to see a license just tell him that him requiring me to show him an id is discrimination
according to this court ruling.

Of course you'll have to show the police your license -- what are you, nuts?

Don't you know those trigger happy racist killers will gun you down where you stand for no apparent reason at all?

It prevents illegal aliens from voting.

Well if they can't vote it kinda makes the Dems look mighty silly arguing against the wall, don't it?

Good for them.

Article is here.

Jim crowe made sure Blacks were treated differently because of their skin color and inherent inferiority

Here's Obama's DOJ arguing that Blacks are too stupid to get a photo ID

http://www.redstate.com/streiff/201...s-black-hispanic-voters-dumb-unsophisticated/

Last edited:
Based on what evidence?

Based on what evidence was the original law, found unconstitutional, made necessary? What more evidence is needed to strike down the Texas law than that the law had no constitutional basis nor evidentiary link?

the dominoes are falling everywhere that will result in 30 conservative states demanding states rights for them and if not secession

this will happen because conservatives are the men... the law enforcement and the military

Voter ID laws are nothing more than Jim Crow laws. It is obvious that the majority of disenfranchised voters by this law often simply cannot afford to take a day off work (often multiple jobs) feeding their families to wait in life for hours at the DMV, and pay a 20 dollar fee (which pays for a week or more of electricity or gas) to get an id to vote.

There's a damn good reason Obama's flooding this Nation with illegals and trying to import as many " refugees " in as possible

Ths future of the Democrat party depends on it

Voter ID laws are nothing more than Jim Crow laws. It is obvious that the majority of disenfranchised voters by this law often simply cannot afford to take a day off work (often multiple jobs) feeding their families to wait in life for hours at the DMV, and pay a 20 dollar fee (which pays for a week or more of electricity or gas) to get an id to vote.

Jim Crow was introduced to the world by Democrats and Obama's DOJ thinks blacks are too stupid to get photo ID.
Justice Department claims black and Hispanic voters are dumb and unsophisticated | RedState

Coincidence ?? Nope

Back
Top Bottom