• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Appeals court denies Michael Flynn and Justice Department's effort to end his case

I DECLARE executive privilege !

LMAO

The DOJ and Flynn side knew that they had to answer such uncomfortable questions. This is why they tried to get a decision to force Sullivan dismiss this case before even having an opportunity to ask such questions...

The DOJ and Flynn side knew that they had to answer such uncomfortable questions. This is why they tried to get a decision to force Sullivan dismiss this case before even having an opportunity to ask such questions...

I wonder if Flynn thinks hiring Sidney was such a good idea now, Sidney called Sullivan biased during the hearing and Sullivan shot back that he had not seen a motion to recuse.... Sidney tried to say thats what she was doing in the hearing and Sullivan told her she had to submit it in writing... Now that motion has to be ruled on before the motion to dismiss... LMAO... Sullivan could easily stretch this out till Jan of next year if he wants..

I wonder if Flynn thinks hiring Sidney was such a good idea now, Sidney called Sullivan biased during the hearing and Sullivan shot back that he had not seen a motion to recuse.... Sidney tried to say thats what she was doing in the hearing and Sullivan told her she had to submit it in writing... Now that motion has to be ruled on before the motion to dismiss... LMAO... Sullivan could easily stretch this out till Jan of next year if he wants..

This is a the logical goal!

If this is the case though (and Trump loses the election), I see as the most likely outcome Trump pardoning Flynn before leaving office

This is a the logical goal!

If this is the case though (and Trump loses the election), I see as the most likely outcome Trump pardoning Flynn before leaving office

I think its highly probable he will if he loses or wins...

I think its highly probable he will if he loses or wins...

I am not sure in the scenario of Trump winning the election because if this case reaches the SCOTUS, there will be a solid majority of judges with proven credentials of appeassing Trump's base. In the recent SCOTUS case about Trump's tax returns, some of them even had the nerve to side with the government's insane claim that a president has absolute immunity, lolol

Trump definitely does not want to pardon Flynn but he may have to especially if he loses damn the torpedoes at that point. And the hail of bombs from the air.

Trump definitely does not want to pardon Flynn but he may have to especially if he loses damn the torpedoes at that point. And the hail of bombs from the air.
I agree that before the elections Trump does not have a reason to add one more controversy. And Barr acts once more as a loyal puppy for Trump doing him a favor. But after the elections the calculus changes.

I agree that before the elections Trump does not have a reason to add one more controversy. And Barr acts once more as a loyal puppy for Trump doing him a favor. But after the elections the calculus changes.

Your point about the hiatus is well taken however Trump will be focused on stealing the election by legal and Constitutional means. Trump will be figuring wrongly that even if Sullivan might send Flynn to the Big House during the hiatus Trump will have his Triumph of The Will once he prevails in stealing the election by legal means and that he can 'liberate' Flynn.

Anybody else shocked ?

DOJ’S NSL REPORT PROVES THAT WILLIAM BARNETT MISREPRESENTED THE EVIDENCE IMPLICATING MIKE FLYNN
September 29, 2020 - by emptywheel

"Later today, DOJ will stand up before Emmet Sullivan and argue that Peter Strzok — whom, they’ll claim, had it in for Mike Flynn even though they’ve submitted evidence that Strzok protected Flynn in August 2016 and December 2016 and February 2017 and May 2017 — obtained National Security Letters targeting Mike Flynn without proper predicate.
In fact, their “evidence” to support that claim will show that in his interview with Jeffrey Jensen, William Barnett misrepresented the evidence when he claimed it was “astro projection” that Mike Flynn lied to hide Trump’s involvement in Flynn’s effort to blow up sanctions on Russia. Indeed, their evidence will actually affirmatively provide more reason to think that this entire effort is an attempt to protect Flynn because he protected the President from being charged in a quid pro quo, rewarding Russia with sanctions relief in exchange for help getting elected.
What DOJ wants to show is that, in December 2016, Barnett and others on the Flynn investigation wanted to get NSLs targeting Flynn, but Strzok stopped them, in part because the investigation into Flynn — but not the Crossfire Hurricane investigation into the Trump campaign as a whole — did not treat Flynn as an Agent of a Foreign Power. [I’ll fill this post in with links once I post it.] But then, in February and March — after DOJ said that they didn’t think Flynn was a Foreign Agent (but also said they needed to check to make sure!!!) — Strzok approved NSLs targeting Flynn. DOJ plans to claim that Strzok had no other reason to do this except to take Trump down.
The claim is amazing, in its own right, because even making the claim suggests that FBI had reason to know at that point that an investigation into Flynn which FBI believed to involve only Flynn might bring down Trump. That is, DOJ is claiming that FBI knew precisely what they only discovered by obtaining these NSLs.
FBI didn’t know at the time — but the NSLs would reveal — that in fact, the investigation might take down Trump....."

During the original investigation and charges, the argument was that Flynn was a target so as to get him to flip on Trump "get the little fish to turn on the big fish."
So Barnett view seems within the range of conventional wisdom

[
QUOTE="pamak, post: 1072708986, member: 34214"]

Neither Flynn nor the Russians knew that the fbi had thr trascript of the private conversation between Flynn and the Russian ambassador!

Russia would assume the FBI was monitoring the calls of their ambassador.
[/QUOTE]

I am sure lots of lawyers try in court try things they probably can't do.

Only idiots who are trying to argue that president is not interfering in the prosecution of their client.

She admitted to Sullivan that she met with the president and the Trump campaign lawyer and discussed the case.

Russia would assume the FBI was monitoring the calls of their ambassador.

Russians and every intelligence service take measures to secure their communications from hostile monitoring. And Russians heard the V-P himself say in public that Flynn did not talk sanctions with the Russian ambassador. So, the Russians could very well embarass Flynn (and Pence) in public by releasing (or leaking) the trascripts or tape of the conversation ! This would have been the end of Flynn's carreer.Any national securty advisor who gives such opportunities to foreign powers to publicly humiliate his boss, will become competely unreiable and untrustworthy for any high-level government position.

Last edited:
During the original investigation and charges, the argument was that Flynn was a target so as to get him to flip on Trump "get the little fish to turn on the big fish."
So Barnett view seems within the range of conventional wisdom

Barnet clearly said that Flynn lied to the investigators. He just disagreed with other FBI agents about the reason for such lie. But such disageement does not change the fact that Flynn DID lie and Mueller had a valid reason to charge him.

Barnet clearly said that Flynn lied to the investigators. He just disagreed with other FBI agents about the reason for such lie. But such disageement does not change the fact that Flynn DID lie and Mueller had a valid reason to charge him.

No-- because again he was being interviewed for nonsense. There was no evidence Flynn was a Russian agent-- no evidence to think he was. Nothing material in what he said. Barnett offered up a theory for what Flynn said-- its quite reasonable a theory.

No-- because again he was being interviewed for nonsense. There was no evidence Flynn was a Russian agent-- no evidence to think he was. Nothing material in what he said. Barnett offered up a theory for what Flynn said-- its quite reasonable a theory.

Nonsense?

Again, until you address the point that the interview was perfectly appropriate because of what I said in previous posts, you just dance around the same idiotic claims you repeat over and over

AGAIN!

The Russians could very well embarass Flynn (and Pence) in public by releasing (or leaking to the NYT) the transcripts or tape of the conversation ! This would have been the end of Flynn's carreer.Any national security advisor who gives such opportunities to foreign powers to publicly humiliate his boss, will become competely unreiable and untrustworthy for any high-level government position. This could create enough leverage to have the Russians blackmail Flynn!

The Russians could very well embarass Flynn (and Pence) in public by releasing (or leaking to the NYT) the transcripts or tape of the conversation ! This would have been the end of Flynn's carreer.Any national security advisor who gives such opportunities to foreign powers to publicly humiliate his boss, will become competely unreiable and untrustworthy for any high-level government position. This could create enough leverage to have the Russians blackmail Flynn!

Ok-- so you have suggested what Barnett suggested-- that Flynn was worried that he could lose his job.

What evidence exists to suggest that a 30 year officer in the Army would instead become a Russian agent?

Ok-- so you have suggested what Barnett suggested-- that Flynn was worried that he could lose his job.

What evidence exists to suggest that a 30 year officer in the Army would instead become a Russian agent?

NOT SUGGESTED!

Read the trascript of his interview!

Page 10

"Barnett believed Flynn lied in the interview to save his job..."

And your question has nothing to do with what Barnett said...nor were the charges against Flynn for spying on behalf of Russians!

On a more general note, people should notice the date of the interview (21 Sep 2020!) and the topics that were left aside by Barr's intervewer. For example, there is no talk about Barnett's take on Pence's public comments regarding what Flynn told him about the talks he had with the Russian ambassador which created a red flag within the FBI since such public comment did not agree with the actual topics that were discussed between Flynn and the Russian ambassador!

I am not sure in the scenario of Trump winning the election because if this case reaches the SCOTUS, there will be a solid majority of judges with proven credentials of appeassing Trump's base. In the recent SCOTUS case about Trump's tax returns, some of them even had the nerve to side with the government's insane claim that a president has absolute immunity, lolol
I think Gorsuch is more independent than being a rubber stamp. He conservative but he seems to want the rule of law. I disagree with his reasoning, but I don't think he will bow to Trump just because.

so in a generation most of the country will be sucking on the public teat and want the government to take care of them, while many of the productive people have left the USA?

That would make him very happy, and will suck mightily, but my guess he doesn’t know any “smart people”.

That still, small voice that says: He’s right!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom