• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Apparently the left doesn’t understand that criticism, including that of the press, is part of free

Repost any assertion that Trump doesn’t have the right of free speech.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/06/04/trump-keeps-threatening-freedom-speech/

Just an excerpt...

DemocracyPost
Opinion
Trump keeps threatening the freedom of speech

June 4, 2019 at 2:16 p.m. CDT

Since President Trump’s election in November 2016, optimists have gone on trying to reassure each other. “Our institutions will hold,” they say.
Our institutions will only hold, however, if they are defended with concrete actions. The lawsuit filed by PEN America in October 2018 against Trump shows how. It charges that he has violated the First Amendment in misusing his official powers to retaliate against speech he finds objectionable. He revoked press passes of White House reporters from outlets that criticize him. He issued an executive order to review postal rates as a way of punishing Amazon, whose founder and chief executive, Jeff Bezos, owns The Post, which was Trump’s real target in this operation. (Those rates were raised in January.)
AD

And just this week, he has suggested that Americans boycott AT&T as a way of punishing CNN, a network he views as his nemesis. He’s even been to known to share images that could encourage violence against CNN employees, such as a meme of him with a bloodied CNN logo on the bottom of his shoe.
Freedom of the press is at serious risk, thanks to Trump’s years-long crusade to discredit the media and his creation of a climate of hostility against journalists that is unparalleled in American history. There is evidence that attitudes have already changed among Republicans in ways that threaten liberty of expression. Almost half of Republicans polled by Ipsos in 2018 believed that the president should have the right to close news outlets for “bad behavior.”
Professor Kim Lane Scheppele of Princeton University and I address this creeping authoritarianism in an amicus brief we filed last month in support of the PEN lawsuit. The brief argues that Trump’s actions are based on the “autocratic playbook” that has been used effectively by rulers in Hungary, Poland, Russia, Turkey and elsewhere to domesticate the media and create the optimal conditions for leaders to consolidate their power and engage in corruption with impunity.

Cuomo: White House doesn't support free speech when they don't like it - YouTube

.... free speech....

And politicians have Constitutional rights as well. Funny, the left NEVER said that Obama criticizing Fox News as “attacking free speech”. Double standards. Criticizing others speech is speech in itself, it’s the not the same thing as shutting down speech. Seriously, has Trump EVER down ANYTHING to shut down stations like CNN? All he has EVER done is criticize it.

Repost any assertion that Trump doesn’t have the right of free speech.

You just posted an opinion article about how Trump threatens the right of free speech from June 4, 2019, to prove that Trump does not have the right of free speech.

An opinion about how Trump threatens the right of free speech . . . from over a year ago . . . to prove that Trump himself does not have the right of free speech.

That is massively stupid. It's so stupid it burns. Why did you do this to the forum?

Why did you do such a massively stupid thing?

I hate to break it to you, Trumpist, but the right to free speech does not mean you have a right to be listened to. It does not mean you have a right to not be mocked. It means only that you cannot be punished for speaking idiocy. The entire point is that if someone says crap that is as stupid as what you said, they will be told about how stupid it is. Marketplace of ideas.

Extra credit: how many liberals have you called "snowflake"?

Last edited:
You just posted an opinion article about how Trump threatens the right of free speech from June 4, 2019, to prove that Trump does not have the right of free speech.

That is massively stupid.

No it says that Trump is THREATENING free speech. Learn to read. If you were watching the Democratic National Convention on C-Span they have excerpts from other Democrats prior to the convention, a few people claimed that Trump was threatening free speech. I'm willing it will be available later on C-Span on-demand. I'm guessing you don't watch much TV, which is a good thing, mostly, but at the same time you miss out on these claims. Watch the CNN video by the way.

I hate to break it to you, Trumpist, but the right to free speech does not mean you have a right to be listened to. It does not mean you have a right to not be mocked. It means only that you cannot be punished for speaking idiocy. The entire point is that if someone says crap that is as stupid as what you said, they will be told about how stupid it is. Marketplace of ideas.

Yeah, tell that to CNN.

The left is CONSTANTLY saying that Trump is attacking free speech, even though he is not.

if one opens their eyes, one sees

if one keeps his eyes closed, he does not see

An opinion about how Trump threatens the right of free speech . . . from over a year ago . . . to prove that Trump himself does not have the right of free speech.

That is massively stupid. It's so stupid it burns. Why did you do this to the forum?

Extra credit: how many liberals have you called "snowflake"?

Yeah, tell that to CNN.

Which part?

Honestly, you guys should coordinate. The more of you are saying the same stupid crap - always at Trump HQ demand - the less compelling it is. It's too obvious. You should say A while he says B and someone else says C. Straight on down to ZZ.

Apparently the OP doesn't understand much of anything. Also it shows that those on the right hang on every word on CNN more than any Liberal does.

if one opens their eyes, one sees

if one keeps his eyes closed, he does not see

Try the Huffington Post...

Trump: Mainstream Media Is Not Free Speech, People Who ‘Write Bad’ Are Dangerous | HuffPost

President Donald Trump on Thursday attempted to create his own definition of free speech that excludes the entire mainstream media.

Speaking at a White House-hosted “social media summit” populated by Trump supporters and a number of right-wing trolls, the president blasted the tech industry and social media companies and claimed they censor conservatives. Then, he attacked the media itself:

“See, I don’t think that the mainstream media is free speech either because it’s so crooked. It’s so dishonest. So to me, free speech is not when you see something good and then you purposely write bad. To me, that’s very dangerous speech, and you become angry at it. But that’s not free speech.”

Oh, NOW that I provided PAGES OF ARTICLES, the left doesn’t have anything to say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you believe they support your argument?

Back
Top Bottom