• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

What do you think of the laws banning atheist from some offices?

• Total voters

AGENT J

"If you ain't first, you're last"
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Now I’m not an atheist myself and I know many atheists that do believe in religion just don’t think anybody has it right but discrimination is discrimination and it amazed me that these things below are actually in state constitutions. I just learned this in another thread.
The constitutions of these seven US states ban atheists from holding public office:

Arkansas:
"No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court."[81]

Maryland:
"That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution.”[82]

Mississippi:
"No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state."[83]

North Carolina:
"The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God."[84]

South Carolina:
"No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution."[85]

Tennessee:
"No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state."[86]

Texas:
"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being."[87]

An eighth state constitution discriminates against atheists by affording special protection to theists only.
Pennsylvania:
"No person who acknowledges the being of a God and a future state of rewards and punishments shall, on account of his religious sentiments, be disqualified to hold any office or place of trust or profit under this Commonwealth."[88]

Discrimination against atheists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That’s appalling to me and the purest form of bigotry and discrimination IMO. SO I’m curious where you stand.
I’d love to see someone try to enforce this so it can be defeated and destroyed like it should, wonder if there are any recent cases of it.

I’m against it
it violates the constitution and should be removed
it’s discrimination
it’s bigotry
it’s disgusting
I support this
it does NOT violate the constitution and should stand
it’s NOT discrimination
it’s NOT bigotry
it’s righteousness

Now I’m not an atheist myself and I know many atheists that do believe in religion just don’t think anybody has it right but discrimination is discrimination and it amazed me that these things below are actually in state constitutions. I just learned this in another thread.
The constitutions of these seven US states ban atheists from holding public office:

Arkansas:
"No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court."[81]

Maryland:
"That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution.”[82]

Mississippi:
"No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state."[83]

North Carolina:
"The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God."[84]

South Carolina:
"No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution."[85]

Tennessee:
"No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state."[86]

Texas:
"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being."[87]

An eighth state constitution discriminates against atheists by affording special protection to theists only.
Pennsylvania:
"No person who acknowledges the being of a God and a future state of rewards and punishments shall, on account of his religious sentiments, be disqualified to hold any office or place of trust or profit under this Commonwealth."[88]

That’s appalling to me and the purest form of bigotry and discrimination IMO. SO I’m curious where you stand.
I’d love to see someone try to enforce this so it can be defeated and destroyed like it should, wonder if there are any recent cases of it.

I’m against it
it’s discrimination
it’s bigotry
it’s disgusting
I support this
it’s NOT discrimination
it’s NOT bigotry
it’s righteousness

It's called states rights.

It's called states rights.

sorry that doesnt answer the question
can states rights say no women are allowed to hold office? blacks? gays? and you think thats constitutional?

can states rights say no women are allowed to hold office? blacks? gays? and you think thats constitutional?

The federal government was never supposed to be able to trump the states, so yes, the states could say that and it be Constitutional.

It's called states wrongs.
It's called Confederate states with a few Republican-controlled Northern ones.
It's called breaking the first amendment.
It's called banking on the activist SCOTUS Corruptus.
It's called pandering.

Arkansas:

Maryland:

Mississippi:

North Carolina:

South Carolina:

Tennessee:

Texas:

Pennsylvania:

I’m against it
it’s discrimination
it’s bigotry
it’s disgusting
I support this
it’s NOT discrimination
it’s NOT bigotry
it’s righteousness

They're getting there. Discrimination never sleeps.

I answered the poll with: I'm against it, it's bigotry, it's discrimination.

It's not necessarily disgusting, because it might be ignorance. Ignorance is only "disgusting" when it's willful.

I don't think it's actually a violation of the constitution, because I believe the prohibition is only on state level government posts, not federal level posts. If they include federal posts for that state, they are unconstitutional.

Even if they are technically constitutional, I do not believe they should stand. I favor the passing of a Civil Rights Amendment which would prohibit the states from using "state's rights" as a veil for subjugation and persecution. No single issue has done more to undermine the State's rights platform than bigoted assholes usurping the platform as a way to promote their desire to create an "inferior "class.

The federal government was never supposed to be able to trump the states, so yes, the states could say that and it be Constitutional.

You side lost the Civil War.

Are you changing the original question?

Thom Paine

They're getting there. Discrimination never sleeps.

yeah i know it always amazes me how much discrimination we still have in the US, we should be the LEADER of not discriminating.

Now as far as i know nobody tries to use these laws or has in recent times but i couldnt believe the existed.

really? so you are saying the state can violate the constitution as it sees fit? WHy do we have a constitution then?

It's called states wrongs.
It's called Confederate states with a few Republican-controlled Northern ones.
It's called breaking the first amendment.
It's called banking on the activist SCOTUS Corruptus.
It's called pandering.

These are bible belt states more than confederate or Republican and if the people of a state want religious politicians in that state it is their choice to make. DC has no say in this nor should they.

I answered the poll with: I'm against it, it's bigotry, it's discrimination.

1.)It's not necessarily disgusting, because it might be ignorance. Ignorance is only "disgusting" when it's willful.
2.) I don't think it's actually a violation of the constitution, because I believe the prohibition is only on state level government posts, not federal level posts. If they include federal posts for that state, they are unconstitutional.
3.) Even if they are technically constitutional, I do not believe they should stand. I favor the passing of a Civil Rights Amendment which would prohibit the states from using "state's rights" as a veil for subjugation and persecution. No single issue has done more to undermine the State's rights platform than bigoted assholes usurping the platform as a way to promote their desire to create an "inferior "class.

1.) i can live with that
2.) hmmm interesting and what if a state wanted to blcok woman from having any stat jobs or jobs not federal? I think it could easily be found to be in violation
3.) agreed and in the long way this is already done but with many events in history and even now i have to agree more concrete and clear rules need made.

These are bible belt states more than confederate or Republican and if the people of a state want religious politicians in that state it is their choice to make. DC has no say in this nor should they.

really? so if a state wants no men or women, blacks or whites, jews or Christians in office then that should be allowed?

yeah i know it always amazes me how much discrimination we still have in the US, we should be the LEADER of not discriminating.

Now as far as i know nobody tries to use these laws or has in recent times but i couldnt believe the existed.

Can a person speak to another person "upstairs" about a recent infraction? I do not want to get in further trouble as I have before? Does this happen only when one poster turns in another poster?

2.) hmmm interesting and what if a state wanted to blcok woman from having any stat jobs or jobs not federal? I think it could easily be found to be in violation

I think it might found to be in violation, but I don't necessarily agree that it actually would be a violation. The constitution doesn't really care about anyone but white men. I believe that a clear Civil rights Amendment is necessary for that reason. It ends any chance for a debate to exist, and it should have been done long, long ago.

seems you've answered your own question and effectively ended my 2 cents about lazy legislators needing to cull their defunct statutes. :peace

They were confederate states. Denial doesn't change that fact.

States wrongs trumping atheists? Do we even have a 1st amendment? What happened to the rights of the minority? Are3 only certain minorities in certain issues to be protected?
I thought the subject here was atheist.

It's discrimination and bigotry for sure. It's unconstitutional given the 14th amendment.

Though anyone saying it's State rights would also have to be against the Civil War as that was State's rights too.

Oh yeah I forgot, the civil war was fought to free atheist.:roll:

It was State's rights. How could the Federal government and Northern States impose their will against the free decisions and actions of the Southern States?

Back
Top Bottom