• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Apology ‘not enough’, say survivors of US drone attack in Kabul - they demand accountability & financial compensation for their losses

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
1631926214723_n_hayes_dronestike_210917_1920x1080-s0iazw.jpg

A day after the United States military admitted that a drone attack in Afghanistan’s capital last month mistakenly killed 10 members of a family, including seven children, survivors have said Washington’s apology was not enough.

Aimal Ahmadi, whose three-year-old daughter Malika was killed on August 29, when the US hellfire missile struck his elder brother’s car, told Al Jazeera on Saturday that the family demands Washington investigate who fired the drone in the Kabul attack.

“I lost 10 members of my family; I want justice from the USA and other organisations,” he said. “We are innocent people, we didn’t do any mistake.”

Al Jazeera’s Osama Bin Javaid, who visited the site of the attack, said memorabilia of the children, including their toys, could be seen scattered.

“Family members told us that they are looking for compensation from the US. They want justice for their family members and if possible those who have remained in this compound want to leave Afghanistan,” he said.

“Here in this compound, there is death, misery and memories of those who passed, and people who try to rebuild their lives in the mayhem of what is Afghanistan and what happened to their families.”

Speaking to The Associated Press news agency, Ahmadi said the US should punish the military personnel responsible for the strike.

“That is not enough for us to say sorry,” said Ahmadi. “The US should find the person who did this.”

News organisations reported after the attack that the driver of the targeted vehicle, Zemerai Ahmadi, was a longtime employee at a US humanitarian organisation and cited an absence of evidence to support the Pentagon’s assertion that the vehicle contained explosives.

The missile struck as the car was pulling into the family’s driveway and the children ran to greet Zemerai.

On Friday, US Marine General Frank McKenzie, head of US Central Command, called the attack a “tragic mistake”, and after weeks of denials, said that innocent civilians were indeed killed in the attack and not a fighter associated with the Islamic State in Khorasan Province, ISKP (ISIS-K), as originally claimed by the US military.

“At the time of the strike, I was confident that the strike had averted an imminent threat to our forces at the airport. It was a mistake, and I offer my sincere apology,” McKenzie said, adding the US was considering making reparation payments to the family of the victims.

A day after the attack, family members told Al Jazeera that the 10 people killed ranged in age from two to 40 years old.

“They were innocent, helpless children,” Ahmadi told Al Jazeera at the time.

McKenzie said the decision to strike the white Toyota Corolla sedan, after having tracked it for about eight hours, was made in an “earnest belief” – based on a standard of “reasonable certainty” – that it posed an imminent threat to US forces at the Kabul airport. The car was believed to have been carrying explosives in its boot, he said.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin released a statement on Friday also calling the attack a “horrible mistake”.

Members of Congress also called for a thorough investigation into the matter, including Betty McCollum, chair of the House Appropriations Defense Subcommittee.

House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff, a California Democrat, said on Friday he will investigate “the accuracy and completeness of public statements” that the Pentagon made defending the attack.

Hmm.

Defense Minister Austin must resign because of this huge mistake and the US must pay millions in compensation to the relatives.

Those poor children.I wept when I seen their photos.Biden had them killed.

Hmm.

Defense Minister Austin must resign because of this huge mistake and the US must pay millions in compensation to the relatives.
You knew this had gone bad when the Biden administration started saying information about those killed in the strike was "classified" after first bragging about the "over horizon" capabilities to stop terrorist. No names of those killed, only, high profile planners and facilitators. Well, not so much.
By the way. Anyone heard how many Americans are stilled trapped in Afghanistan?

Maybe a couple hundred.

Many of those are aid workers who don't want to leave because of their work for women, children etc. - but others are dual citizens who might or might not want to leave, as many might want to remain in the county to help their families or friends.

Others are journalists etc. covering events.

I would say that a lot of them are not "trapped" there, but voluntarily there ...

Hmm.

The family deserves that much. Visas and financial reparations--these folks were apparently all dependent on Ahmadi's salary (not so sure about that, but why quibble?)

The family deserves that much. Visas and financial reparations--these folks were apparently all dependent on Ahmadi's salary (not so sure about that, but why quibble?)

I'm not so sure they are eager to go to the US with visas, after they killed their entire family ...

Democrats and accountability are never found in the same room together.

Expect more lies from #teambiden, while his supporters screech and deflect in Trump meltdowns.

Has anyone seen the Vice President do anything in the past 6 months? year?

Expect more lies from #teambiden, while his supporters screech and deflect in Trump meltdowns.

She flipped a coin at a college football game yesterday.
Vice President Kamala Harris flips a coin ahead of the Howard University and Hampton University football game at Audi Field in Washington, DC, USA, on 18 September 2021.

You must have been in a coma from 2017-2020 if you think the last guy had any measure of accountability.

Pure projection.

Those poor children.I wept when I seen their photos.Biden had them killed.
You knew this had gone bad when the Biden administration started saying information about those killed in the strike was "classified" after first bragging about the "over horizon" capabilities to stop terrorist. No names of those killed, only, high profile planners and facilitators. Well, not so much.

It's an amazing world we live in to get to see conservatives pretending to care about collateral damage form drone strikes. Brand new position you guys adopted this January?
You must have been in a coma from 2017-2020 if you think the last guy had any measure of accountability.

Pure projection.
When Trump supporters start talking about "presidential accountability" all one can do is laugh, laugh and laugh.

Apology ‘not enough’, say survivors of US drone attack in Kabul - they demand accountability & financial compensation for their losses​

Compensation would be appropriate.

How about a moratorium on drone strikes? This isn't the first time young innocents have been killed by them.

Drone Warfare
910-2,200 CIVILIANS KILLED

283-454 CHILDREN KILLED

You do not live in the United States.

Right?

So you probably do not understand why Secretary Austin will NOT resign and especially why the Administration would NOT dare fire him.

Hmm.

Anything and everything Biden touches turns to crap.

This is simply one more example that happens to be a very tragic example.

This demented and feckless old coot is a disaster and Harris will be worse after the 25th Amendment is invoked.

Perhaps after the 25th Amendment, Harris will be so weakened that the Congress can re-assert some of its responsibility.

I'm sorry... I had to include that last bit as a flight of fantasy for the sake of humor. The lying thieves will never do anything to stop the Gravy Train.

Financial restitution is the least we can do, though we’ve been murdering the shit out of civilians there for 20 years and am wondering why only the last incident is so politically explosive.

Apology ‘not enough’, say survivors of US drone attack in Kabul - they demand accountability & financial compensation for their losses​

Compensation would be appropriate.
I think that was already on the table before they said this...at least that is what I heard them say...that reparations were possible.

Financial restitution is the least we can do, though we’ve been murdering the shit out of civilians there for 20 years and am wondering why only the last incident is so politically explosive.
It was the circumstances and then the Pentagon lied about it for several weeks. They built it up as some major retaliatory victory for the bombing at the airport.

Obama provided financial compensation when he blew up that hospital - Biden should do the same at the very least.

Maybe he'll find the time when he gets back from the beach.

Last edited:
I want accountability. That means arrest those responsible for the murders. Paying money to the victims is a sad joke. Think about this in the context of those dead are your family members. Should the killers walk away? Will a couple of bucks make you happy? This is not the first time this has happened, but we can make it much harder for it to happen again. This was a colossal CF.

The family should be compensated, although of course no money can make up for that. It's heartbreaking.

To the extent we are talking about criminal liability, we don't know enough about the intelligence they had in front of them to be able to say if it was criminally negligent, but that should be investigated and prosecuted if appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom