• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Apologetics

Logician Man

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Why does Christianity have/need Apologetics?

For the same reason Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Mormonism, Bahá'í Faith, Pantheism and even Deism "have/need Apologetics."
To answer critics.

For the same reason Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Mormonism, Bahá'í Faith, Pantheism and even Deism "have/need Apologetics."
To answer critics.

define 'critics' Angel....just kidding :) fair answer....Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Like in your Reform Judaism.

There is a basic difference in attitude in Judaism (of all the various actual varieties, such as orthodox, conservative, reform, humanistic and reconstriciontist) and the mainstream Christianity. That attitude allows it to understand and embrace the inconsistencies, giving better meaning to people That is not something you are equipped to understand, and you would make a horrible Jew.

There is a basic difference in attitude in Judaism (of all the various actual varieties, such as orthodox, conservative, reform, humanistic and reconstriciontist) and the mainstream Christianity. That attitude allows it to understand and embrace the inconsistencies, giving better meaning to people That is not something you are equipped to understand, and you would make a horrible Jew.

Like Jesus said to the Jews who were berating him, "Unless you believe I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins." - John 8:24

What was the reason Jerusalem and the Israelites were sacked in 70 AD, as Jesus foretold some 40 years earlier?

Like Jesus said to the Jews who were berating him, "Unless you believe I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins." - John 8:24

What was the reason Jerusalem and the Israelites were sacked in 70 AD?

You know, it doesn't matter what Jesus said, if he existed at all. It's amazing how you can make Jesus say things when thing are written after the fact.

You know, it doesn't matter what Jesus said, if he existed at all. It's amazing how you can make Jesus say things when thing are written after the fact.

Jesus' prophecy of the sacking of Jerusalem "written after the fact"? See, that's what you theological liberals always do - try to "late date" these prophecies.

Too bad you can't prove it, while I, on the other hand, have the decisions of scores of scholars backing up earlier dates. I've shown those to you before and all you can do is your usual "No no" routine.

Logicman: What was the reason Jerusalem and the Israelites were sacked in 70 AD

Because it doesnt make any sense?

They revolted?

From Luke 19:

41 As he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, he wept over it 42 and said, “If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace—but now it is hidden from your eyes. 43 The days will come upon you when your enemies will build an embankment against you and encircle you and hem you in on every side. 44 They will dash you to the ground, you and the children within your walls. They will not leave one stone on another, because you did not recognize the time of God’s (Jesus) coming to you.”

Jesus' prophecy of the sacking of Jerusalem "written after the fact"? See, that's what you theological liberals always do - try to "late date" these prophecies.

Too bad you can't prove it, while I, on the other hand, have the decisions of scores of scholars backing up earlier dates. I've shown those to you before and all you can do is your usual "No no" routine.

Why yes, yes it was. The chances are the Jesus never said anything like that, even if Jesus existed at all.

From Luke 19:

41 As he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, he wept over it 42 and said, “If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace—but now it is hidden from your eyes. 43 The days will come upon you when your enemies will build an embankment against you and encircle you and hem you in on every side. 44 They will dash you to the ground, you and the children within your walls. They will not leave one stone on another, because you did not recognize the time of God’s (Jesus) coming to you.”

Yet another after the fact writing, written by someone who probably wasn't even born when Jesus is supposed to have been executed

Why, yes it was. The fundamentalists try to 'early date' it to make the supernatural seem reasonable, ignoring all evidence to the contrary.

From Luke 19:

Um, you do realize that the NT was written decades after the supposed death of Jesus, right? So of course the writers mentioned him talking about a Roman siege since it was after the fact...

Can't speak for others but I think it is human nature to defend who/what you love...and according to Peter, it reinforces our faith in our own hearts every time we do so...I agree with him...

"But sanctify the Christ as Lord in your hearts, always ready to make a defense before everyone who demands of you a reason for the hope you have, but doing so with a mild temper and deep respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Um, you do realize that the NT was written decades after the supposed death of Jesus, right? So of course the writers mentioned him talking about a Roman siege since it was after the fact...

Facts are of no importance to believers.

my guess

is because its man made and people find different things to be good or bad and its easier to pretend your faith always meant stuff you find good rather then admitting its contains stuff you feel is wrong and therefore making your god evil or calling its exstice into doubt

So, you're saying the Gospel authors are liars? Prove it.

WHEN WERE THE GOSPELS WRITTEN?

Many New Testament critics insist that the Gospels were written long after the events they describe and are therefore almost certain to contain inaccuracies.

However, evidence suggests an early date for the writing of Matthew, Mark, and Luke. Subscripts in some manuscript copies of Matthew indicate that the original writing took place as early as 41 C.E. Luke was probably written between 56 and 58 C.E., for the book of Acts (likely completed by 61 C.E.) indicates that the writer, Luke, had already composed his “first account,” the Gospel. (Acts 1:1) Mark’s Gospel is considered to have been composed in Rome during either the first or the second imprisonment of the apostle Paul—probably between 60 and 65 C.E.

Professor Craig L. Blomberg agrees with an earlier dating of those Gospels. He notes that even when we add John’s Gospel, which was composed at the end of the first century, “we are still far closer to the original events than with many ancient biographies. The two earliest biographers of Alexander the Great, for example, Arrian and Plutarch, wrote more than four hundred years after Alexander’s death in 323 B.C., yet historians generally consider them to be trustworthy. Fabulous legends about the life of Alexander did develop over time, but for the most part only during the several centuries after these two writers.” The historical parts of the Christian Greek Scriptures certainly are worthy of at least as much credence as secular histories.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1996921?q=when+were+the+gospels+written&p=sen

Why, yes it was. The fundamentalists try to 'early date' it to make the supernatural seem reasonable, ignoring all evidence to the contrary.

Your investigative acumen is about as poor as your worthless conclusions.

Frank Luntz practices modern secular political apologetics.

This is the logical fallacy known as 'Argument from emotive language'. IT stocks up with a lot of emotionally charged words, but no evidence. This is pare for the course from some people.

You do love those adjectives with high emotiional content. What you are lacking is tangible and objective physical evidence.

Back
Top Bottom