• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Apocalypse now?' What Europe's media thought of the Trump speech

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]Apocalypse now?' What Europe's media thought of the Trump speech[/h]
[FONT=&quot]Donald Trump might have whipped the crowds into a frenzy with his first speech as the Republican candidate for the U.S. presidency, but Europe looked on with a mixture of criticism, fear and bemusement.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In London, the left-leaning [/FONT]Guardian[FONT=&quot] newspaper said in its lead that the Republican had struck an "authoritarian tone in [a] convention speech focusing on recent terrorist attacks and police killings to assure Americans' safety will be restored." The right-leaning[/FONT]Telegraph[FONT=&quot] noted that Trump had promised Americans to be the "law and order candidate" and had, in the process, painted what one journalist called a "dark and terrifying" portrait of America.[/FONT]

Quite a contrast with Canadians chanting "four more years" to Obama, eh?

But, then, we're Americans. What do we care what the rest of the world thinks, right? Right????

But, then, we're Americans. What do we care what the rest of the world thinks, right? Right????

Right? We have the right to care of our country and that will, or should, not change because of what the world thinks. What example do you suggest we follow? Europes?

Europe is a disaster. We should learn from their mistakes not repeat them.

The Europeans will deal with whoever we elect because they don't have a choice, so who cares what they think?

I'm ready for a law and order candidate. Killing police officers is unnaccoetable yet Obama was condoning it right until Dallas, these homeless tent cities are popping up everywhere and destroying the environment and causing crime and shootings and utility theft and urban leaders ignore it, people are getting shot by illegal aliens who have criminal records that cities didn't report to ICE.

I don't know why you think these things are better then law and order.

And forget the Europeans, they have always looked at America with a level of contempt, it goes back to the founding of the country

The Europeans will deal with whoever we elect because they don't have a choice, so who cares what they think?

I'm ready for a law and order candidate. Killing police officers is unnaccoetable yet Obama was condoning it right until Dallas,

No, Obama has never condoned killing police officers.
these homeless tent cities are popping up everywhere and destroying the environment and causing crime and shootings and utility theft and urban leaders ignore it

They've been around for decades now. I can remember them in the late 90s near DTLA.
people are getting shot by illegal aliens who have criminal records that cities didn't report to ICE.

Not to any statistically significant degree.

The statistics argument doesn't work when you're talking about people who should never have been here to commit the crimes in the first place.

A better question is WHY should we care what the rest of the world thinks, at least when it comes to our internal political activities?

I'm not saying that we should not try to be an exemplar of the ideals we espouse to set a good example for others to follow.

However, we need to remember that our society has it's own distinct culture and developing sub-cultures; that while other nations may echo some of our ways, for the most part they have their own subjective world views based on their own cultural differences.

It's good to try to maintain positive relations; but until we actually S**t on their carpet, we have nothing to apologize for.

Let them have their opinions, but we need not be guided nor compelled by them.

Our destiny as a nation is ours to develop.

Last edited:

I'm thinking the loved ones of those killed by illegal aliens would tell you to shove your "statistically significant degree" up your ass and get on with the responsibility of protecting our own citizens.

I'm thinking the loved ones of those killed by illegal aliens would tell you to shove your "statistically significant degree" up you ass and get on with the responsibility of protecting our own citizens.

In this context, I care very little about what you think or what you imagine some people might say.

I was responding to the claim it was some sort of current problem of a substantive degree.

Sorry that subtlety went right over your head.

In this context, I care very little about what you think or what you imagine some people might say.

I was responding to the claim it was some sort of current problem of a substantive degree.

The claim you were responding to didn't say a thing about the problem being to a substantive degree. The claim simply stated it was a problem.

But YOU are the one who suggested it's not that big of a deal, with your statistically significant degree remark. Face it...you screwed up with that remark and now you are trying to save your ass instead of shoving your insensitive remark up it.

But hey, at least you were honest about something here...that you don't care about other people. Especially the loss of loved ones that is caused by the left's...and Obama's...policies concerning illegal immigration.

Well, RIGHT!

It seems an expected response from countries who have grown accustomed to expecting something, while providing little in return.

We have created The European Welfare State. All we have to do is go back to the Marshall Plan for a historical perspective.

This is the way they show their appreciation? The lesson we should learn is that welfare creates welfare dependency, and little else. Do you think that the increasing number of Food Stamp recipients here ever say, "Thank You?" or do they say, "Gimme more!"

The claim you were responding to didn't say a thing about the problem being to a substantive degree. The claim simply stated it was a problem.

Oh, please. It was directly implied in the context it was offered.
But YOU are the one who suggested it's not that big of a deal, with your statistically significant degree remark. Face it...you screwed up with that remark and now you are trying to save your ass instead of shoving your insensitive remark up it.

It is statistically insignificant. That's a simple fact and I stand by that statement. Don't like it? That's just too damned bad.
But hey, at least you were honest about something here...that you don't care about other people. Especially the loss of loved ones that is caused by the left's...and Obama's...policies concerning illegal immigration.

So now you're forced to lie and attribute to me positions and motives I do not have.

Why am I not at all surprised?

I'm not sure about Trump's speech. I'll reserve my opinion on it until after I hear it in it's original German.

We have created The European Welfare State. All we have to do is go back to the Marshall Plan for a historical perspective.

This is the way they show their appreciation? The lesson we should learn is that welfare creates welfare dependency, and little else. Do you think that the increasing number of Food Stamp recipients here ever say, "Thank You?" or do they say, "Gimme more!"

Their votes provide the answer to your question.

It didn't go over my head. I understand very well well that you were trying to make light of violent crimes by illegal aliens.

It didn't go over my head. I understand very well well that you were trying to make light of violent crimes by illegal aliens.

Then you've purposefully misunderstood what I've stated. I'm not 'making light of them'. Please re-read what I wrote and try again.

It is a reflex with collectivists to side with any foreigner who either harms this country, or wants to. For collectivist drones, America is always to blame--and yet millions of them choose to take up space here.

Oh, please. It was directly implied in the context it was offered.

I explained how it wasn't. Now it's your turn to explain how your remark was.

Just you saying it is doesn't cut it.

It is statistically insignificant. That's a simple fact and I stand by that statement. Don't like it? That's just too damned bad.

And here you go again...admitting you don't care. Doubling down on your insensitivity.

So now you're forced to lie and attribute to me positions and motives I do not have.

Why am I not at all surprised?

I haven't lied about a thing. I've simply shown your words for what they are...your words.

I explained how it wasn't. Now it's your turn to explain how your remark was.

Just you saying it is doesn't cut it.

I'm sorry, but if you can't understand the context it was given in and my reply to it in that same context, I can't help you.
And here you go again...admitting you don't care. Doubling down on your insensitivity.

Doubling down on your dishonesty, eh? Stating something is statistically insignificant on a meta scale does not eqyate to not caring about lives lost. What's compelling you to such transparent dishonesty?
I haven't lied about a thing. I've simply shown your words for what they are...your words.

Indeed, you lied directly about me. Thanks for tacitly admitting to that by lying yet again.

Screw Europe!

Been over there way too many times, and for too long a period. I had to listen to their superiority speeches in every bar/pub/tavern I sat in.

I just wanted a beer and a quiet place to sit, but it never seems to matter to them once they realize you are off of that big American ship docks 5 blocks down at the waterfront. Politics was the last damn thing I wanted to talk about after spending 7 weeks at sea. But....OH noooooooooo! They just gotta run off at the mouth.

England and Scotland were always good people......loved em!

Right? We have the right to care of our country and that will, or should, not change because of what the world thinks. What example do you suggest we follow? Europes?

Europe is a disaster. We should learn from their mistakes not repeat them.

Correct. As Trump said, we need to start looking at the world's problems as to how they affect us, not how they affect the rest of the world.

Sometimes the interests cross paths, sometimes they don't.

The statistics argument doesn't work when you're talking about people who should never have been here to commit the crimes in the first place.

Correct. I don't get the argument that in order to stop the very few problems with guns possessed legally we must eliminate guns, but when dealing with illegal border invaders they are statistically insignificant and therefore nothing to worry about.

No, Obama has never condoned killing police officers.

Not directly, but by giving credence to the "hands up don't shoot" crowd and refusing to use his pulpit to tell the truth about manufactured police controversies it is the same thing.

They've been around for decades now. I can remember them in the late 90s near DTLA.

For awhile though some cities actually cleaned them out and got rid of them, now they're coming back, seattle was a nice city 4 years ago, last month I walked all the way down fourth avenue and not a square inch in sight with no litter, and sleeping bags drawn up in every door frame, and no cops arresting them for vagrancy.

doesn't matter. anyone who gets arrested for violating criminal laws in this country while here unlawfully should be immediately and summarily deported.

I'm not sure about Trump's speech. I'll reserve my opinion on it until after I hear it in it's original German.
What is it with this nazi sh!t? these people couldn't beat trump at the primary so they're trying to Godwin the whole election? turn off Glenn Beck man,,,

Back
Top Bottom