• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Apart from Bismarck and Hitler, which names of German politicians do you know?

• Claus Philipp Maria Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Konrad Adenauer

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Willy Brandt

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Helmut Kohl

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • Angela Merkel

Votes: 34 97.1%
  • Olaf Scholz

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Erich Honecker

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Hans-Dietrich Genscher

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Annalena Baerbock

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • others

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters
Angela Merkel now has 21 votes from 22 voters :)

Wanting to “replace” Nazism with a military junta which would continue the genocidal war in the East(and the Heer was every bit as enthusiastic about carrying out such atrocities as the SS) is not a “good trait”.

Especially since he literally wanted to keep Poland as a plantation for his fellow noblemen
Yep. Lebensraum is very much a manifest destiny type project where the nazis wanted to colonize the east and get rid of the natives. They even kidnapped children for Germanization in similar model that US took native children for americanization.

You being Anti Democratic is no surprise, you the kind of person who thinks having to wear a mask at the Piggy Wiggly is oppression and wants the state to punish everyone you don't like.
It is in fact oppression because there is no legal basis for such orders
That's the mindset of the people who supported the Nazis, that Germany was oppressed by cultural Marxism and international bankers and needed to fight back.
Well if you think that’s where regimes like the Nazis come from then maybe you should tell your party to stop piling up oppressive mandates before the reaction begins to spiral upward.

Stupid question. Most people have never heard of a German person named Bismarck. That name is nothing more than a city in North Dakota for Americans. The way you wrote that assumes everyone knows who replaced Angela Merkel (or even that she recently quit).

Since several were EAST Germans, I did not check their boxes as East Germany was pretty much the USSR.
But aside from
Claus Philipp Maria Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg...I recognized all of them.

By the way, Sir Rumpel, have you ever seen this movie, and if so, what did you think of it?

Letzte Rede Erich Honecker / Last speech of Erich Honecker 1989​

Stupid question. Most people have never heard of a German person named Bismarck. That name is nothing more than a city in North Dakota for Americans. The way you wrote that assumes everyone knows who replaced Angela Merkel (or even that she recently quit).
I’d imagine more people have heard of Otto van Bismarck than some town in North Dakota.

How Edwinton became Bismarck:

Later the new town was called Edwinton, after Edwin Ferry Johnson, engineer-in-chief for the Northern Pacific Railway. Its construction of railroads in the territory attracted workers and settlers.

In 1873, the Northern Pacific Railway renamed the city to Bismarck, in honor of German chancellor Otto von Bismarck. Railroad officials hoped to attract German immigrant settlers to the area and German investment in the railroad.[10] It is the only U.S. state capital named for a foreign statesman.

Rumpel:

I probably know the names of hundreds of important Germanic and German people from Caesar's Germanic enemy Ariovistus of the Suebi, through Odouacer, past the mad King Ludwig of Bavaria and later the two Wilhelms right up to many famous modern-day Germans like Ursula Von der Leyen. But I did not know who one person on your list was until I looked her up, Annalena Baerbock - the Foreign Minister. So thank you for teaching me that!

Now where on your list is Klemens Von Metternich, the most famous German born politician, even if he did work for the Austrians?

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
It's kind of hard to call him German born, seeing how no such entity as Germany existed at time of his birth. At best (and by such principle) one could call him a Trieran (aka someone born in Trier).

Historians continue to argue over whether he was a diplomatic genius or a total A-hole.

Truth is probably somewhere in the middle.:D

I know hundreds of German politicians, because I live nearby.

I used to like Boris Palmer, because he was a highly successful mayor of Tübingen within the Green Party, until he made some critical comments about race and they suspended him and then he suspended his membership himself. But it looks like Tübingen is still doing well under his watch. And a bit of criticism here and then is good for or within your own party, but you need to find a balance.

I used to like Boris Palmer, because he was a highly successful mayor of Tübingen within the Green Party, until he made some critical comments about race and they suspended him and then he suspended his membership himself. But it looks like Tübingen is still doing well under his watch.
Three cheers for Boris Palmer!
He is the most sensible member of the Green Party!

Yep. Lebensraum is very much a manifest destiny type project where the nazis wanted to colonize the east and get rid of the natives. They even kidnapped children for Germanization in similar model that US took native children for americanization.

The point, of course, is that even “anti Nazi” figures like Stauffenberg approved of the plan…..which just goes to show how one action can lead to a person’s more vile beliefs being completely whitewashed.

I looked up the list of Chancellors to find which one was the one I first became aware of after graduating from toddler. It was Helmud Schmidt

On looking at the list of W German Chancellors since the beginning, to my surprise there are some I am totally ignorant of. I always aware of Konrad Adenauer as Chancellor, even though it was before I paid attention to such things

I never heard of:

Ludwig Erhard
Kurt Georg Kiesinger

I am still trying to wrap my head around the set up in East Germany. It appears they did not call the chief executive officer Chancellor. There appears to have been a Secretary of the Communist Party and a Head of State. Not sure how that worked. Eitherways the only Walter Ulbricht and Erick Honneker
You need to take a look at Ludwig Erhard, probably one of the most interesting Kanzler of West Germany.

Soziale Marktwirtschaft.

It is in fact oppression because there is no legal basis for such orders

Well if you think that’s where regimes like the Nazis come from then maybe you should tell your party to stop piling up oppressive mandates before the reaction begins to spiral upward.

You claim to love freedom and hate Democracy and worship dictators like Franco. You claim that having to wear a mask at the Piggly Wiggly is oppression and you want to lock up trans people because you think they are degenerates.

You don't want freedom, you want privileges for yourself. Oppressive governments that raise one group of people above another are what you see in Nazi Germany, Saddam's Iraq, and Apartheid South Africa. That is the state you want.

No recognition for Kaiser Wilhelm II, the idiot king of Germany during WWI?

It would be nice if he had remained a simple idiot holed up in some castle playing with toy soldiers. It can be argued he singularly gifted two world wars to Germany, thanks to his failure to heed Bismarck's advice and deviating dangerously away from the more careful foreign policy Bismarck had built. @Rumpel

It can be argued he singularly gifted two world wars to Germany, thanks to his failure to heed Bismarck's advice and deviating dangerously away from the more careful foreign policy Bismarck had built. @Rumpel
That idiotic Wilhelm managed to turn France and Britain and Russia and the USA and Italy and Japan into enemies of Germany. That was a bit much.
That would never have happened with Bismarck.

You need to take a look at Ludwig Erhard, probably one of the most interesting Kanzler of West Germany.

Soziale Marktwirtschaft.

Here you can have a look at both Erhard and Adenauer. :)

And others .....

Iirc, when that famous pic of Merkel was taken, she was on the Bismarck.

What Wiki knows about Annalena

Annalena Charlotte Alma Baerbock (pronounced [anaːˌleːnaː ˈbɛːɐ̯ˌbɔk] (listen); born 15 December 1980) is a German politician from Alliance 90/The Greens serving as the Federal Minister of Foreign Affairs since 2021.

From 2018 to January 2022, Baerbock served as co-leader of Alliance 90/The Greens, alongside Robert Habeck. She was the party's candidate for chancellor in the 2021 federal election, making her the first such candidate for the Greens and, after Angela Merkel, only the second woman to be selected by a party as its candidate for chancellor by a major German political party. After the election, the Greens formed a traffic light coalition led by Olaf Scholz, and Baerbock was sworn in as Germany's first female foreign minister on 8 December 2021.

Born in Hanover, West Germany in 1980, Baerbock attended the University of Hamburg and the London School of Economics and Political Science. She was first elected to the Bundestag in 2013. From 2012 to 2015, she was a member of the party council of Alliance 90/The Greens and from 2009 to 2013, the leader of her party's group in the federal state (or "Land") of Brandenburg.

Claus von Stauffenberg

Back
Top Bottom