• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Apart from Bismarck and Hitler, which names of German politicians do you know?

Apart from Bismarck and Hitler, which names of German politicians do you know?

• Claus Philipp Maria Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Konrad Adenauer

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Willy Brandt

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Helmut Kohl

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • Angela Merkel

Votes: 34 97.1%
  • Olaf Scholz

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Erich Honecker

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Hans-Dietrich Genscher

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Annalena Baerbock

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • others

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters
Angela Merkel still seems the best known name.
8 out of 8 here voted for her - as yet.

I recognized six of the names.

I think that one of them tried to permanently neutralize Hitler.

Yea, the one armed man with a suitcase bomb :)

Interestingly enough, Stauffenberg was actually kinda of a nasty guy himself. He vehemently opposed democracy and wanted to keep Germany’s “lebensraum” in Eastern Europe, including vocally supporting the “colonization” of Poland .

But, since he was the “triggerman”, he’s kinda gotten whitewashed.

Interesting piece of information. It appears history has been kind to Stauffenberg.

Correct. And it can be argued that Austria was much more representative of the German peoples than any of the other smaller entities
Lots of things can be argued - when talking of Germany - and of what "Germany" meant during all those centuries.
For a long time there was no real German state - but the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation

The Holy Roman Empire (Latin: Sacrum Romanum Imperium; German: Heiliges Römisches Reich) was a political entity[17][18] in Western, Central and Southern Europe that developed during the Early Middle Ages and continued until its dissolution in 1806 during the Napoleonic Wars.[19]

From the accession of Otto I in 962 until the twelfth century, the Empire was the most powerful monarchy in Europe.[20] Andrew Holt characterizes it as "perhaps the most powerful European state of the Middle Age".[21] Centralized control dwindled around the 1250s

I think that one of them ruled East Germany.
Honecker was a dictator of East Germany. A man who killed more people then the Great Hero General Pinochet and yet was sheltered by Chilean communists.

Konrad Adrenaur and Helmut Kohl were west German chancellors.

By the way, some people accused Bismarck of creating conditions that made it possible for Hitler. Scholars have denied such an easy explanation, but they seem to agree that maybe (maybe!) there is a quality in the German character that enabled people like Bismarck and Hitler to reign.
Bismarck is in no way comparable to failed Austrian painter

Interestingly enough, Stauffenberg was actually kinda of a nasty guy himself. He vehemently opposed democracy
Well that’s not so bad
and wanted to keep Germany’s “lebensraum” in Eastern Europe, including vocally supporting the “colonization” of Poland .
That’s kind of bad, so I have no idea why you’d start with Stauffebergs good trait, which was opposing democracy. Something leftists universally agree with in any case
But, since he was the “triggerman”, he’s kinda gotten whitewashed.

Bismarck is in no way comparable to failed Austrian painter
Bismarck is still quite popular in Germany in the form of a herring. :)

The Bismarck herring is pickled fresh, filleted Baltic herring, traditionally packed in small wooden barrels.

Johann Wiechmann had a store in Stralsund, Germany, and his wife Karoline prepared the herring for sale. Wiechmann admired Otto von Bismarck and sent a barrel on Bismarck's birthday. When the German Empire was created Wiechmann sent a second barrel but this time asked to name the herrings after him. Bismarck agreed, and the original recipe Bismarck herring were sold up until the end of World War II, and revived in 1997 in Stralsund.

Interesting piece of information. It appears history has been kind to Stauffenberg.

Considering the fact that we let the Heer write our history of the Eastern Front(that’s where the “Soviet hordes” myth came from) it’s not too surprising.

Well that’s not so bad

That’s kind of bad, so I have no idea why you’d start with Stauffebergs good trait, which was opposing democracy. Something leftists universally agree with in any case

Wanting to “replace” Nazism with a military junta which would continue the genocidal war in the East(and the Heer was every bit as enthusiastic about carrying out such atrocities as the SS) is not a “good trait”.

Especially since he literally wanted to keep Poland as a plantation for his fellow noblemen

Genscher's finest hour!

Genscher at the German Embassy in Prague 1989​

So, if you fill up your tank (From empty), you'll be paying an extra 3x19=57 cents. I could handle that to ensure better roads and perhaps public transportation.

Which ones?
Albert Einstein, maybe?

Werner Heisonburg
Fritz Haber
Georg Cantor
Emmy Noether
Heinrich Hertz
William Herschel
Carl Gauss
Johannes Kepler
Max Born
Max Plank
Walther Bothe
Wernher Von Braun
Werner Hagerne ??
.........................................About all I can remember..

Wanting to “replace” Nazism with a military junta which would continue the genocidal war in the East(and the Heer was every bit as enthusiastic about carrying out such atrocities as the SS) is not a “good trait”.
I didn’t say it was. I said being anti-democratic is a good trait.
Especially since he literally wanted to keep Poland as a plantation for his fellow noblemen
Something which Stalin ended up doing by other means. Poland didn’t exit the war any better.

Werner Heisonburg
Fritz Haber
Georg Cantor
Emmy Noether
Heinrich Hertz
William Herschel
Carl Gauss
Johannes Kepler
Max Born
Max Plank
Walther Bothe
Wernher Von Braun
Werner Hagerne ??
.........................................About all I can remember..
A nice list - and of course there is room for a lot more! :)
But in polls we only have room for 10 names here.

Annalena Baerbock - a new face.

I think that one of them ruled East Germany.

By the way, some people accused Bismarck of creating conditions that made it possible for Hitler. Scholars have denied such an easy explanation, but they seem to agree that maybe (maybe!) there is a quality in the German character that enabled people like Bismarck and Hitler to reign.
Germans are among the most law-abiding people on the planet!

Make it a law……….

Coming in after the Scandinavians and the Dutch

I didn’t say it was. I said being anti-democratic is a good trait.

Something which Stalin ended up doing by other means. Poland didn’t exit the war any better.

Uh, yes it did. Under the General Government Poles were serfs at BEST.

“The General Gouvernment is our work force reservoir for lowgrade work (brick plants, road building, etc.) ... Unconditionally, attention should be paid to the fact that there can be no "Polish masters"; where there are Polish masters, and I do not care how hard this sounds, they must be killed. (...) The Führer must emphasize once again that for Poles there is only one master and he is a German, there can be no two masters beside each other and there is no consent to such, hence all representatives of the Polish intelligentsia are to be killed ... The General Gouvernment is a Polish reservation, a great Polish labor camp. — Note of Martin Bormann from the meeting of Dr. Hans Frank with Adolf Hitler, Berlin, 2 October 1940.[13]”

“German bureaucrats drew up various plans regarding the future of the original population. One called for the deportation of about 20 million Poles to western Siberia, and the Germanisation of 4 to 5 million; although deportation in reality meant many Poles were to be put to death, a small number would be "Germanized", and young Poles of desirable qualities would be kidnapped and raised in Germany.[14]”

On the other hand, after the war the Poles weren’t free.....but they weren’t being steadily exterminated and enslaved, as they were under the Germans; they ruled their own country; and they gained large amounts of territory from Germany in the process. Oh, and their children weren’t being kidnapped en masse.

There’s flat out no equivalence here.

10 out of 10 now say: Angela Merkel.
She is the first with a double-digit result.

Rumpel:

I probably know the names of hundreds of important Germanic and German people from Caesar's Germanic enemy Ariovistus of the Suebi, through Odouacer, past the mad King Ludwig of Bavaria and later the two Wilhelms right up to many famous modern-day Germans like Ursula Von der Leyen. But I did not know who one person on your list was until I looked her up, Annalena Baerbock - the Foreign Minister. So thank you for teaching me that!

Now where on your list is Klemens Von Metternich, the most famous German born politician, even if he did work for the Austrians?

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Last edited:
But I did not know who one person on your list was until I looked her up, Annalena Baerbock - the Foreign Minister. So thank you for teaching me that!
You are welcome!
She is relatively new.
I think we can expect to hear and see more of her in the future. :)

Now where on your list is Klemens Von Metternich, the most famous German born politician, even if he did work for the Austrians?
As you know - polls take only a list of ten.
And with "others" - that makes only 9 names.
So a choice has to be made.
And the choice is mine - speaketh the Lord. :)

Konrad Adenauer - the Chancellor of my youth :)

Who could ever forget that face of joy and wonder as she stood on the deck of that aircraft carrier.

Back
Top Bottom