• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

AP Still Referring to Zimmerman as 'White'

So the race of white Hispanics and the race of black Hispanics is Hispanic?

I'm not any kind of expert on racial semantics. "Hispanic" might not be the proper term to use here. I wouldn't know either way.

However, the simple fact of the matter remains that there are literally millions of people living in Latin America who cannot be said to be either white, black, or native american. Zimmerman is rather clearly one of them.

To deny that these people on some level constitute a distinct "race" simply because they don't fit within your overly convenient cookie-cutter definition of the term is completely asinine. To take that a step further, and arbitrarily declare them to be "white" instead, (regardless of whether they identify themselves as such or not) is simply insane.

Frankly, while we're on the subject, the concept of "whiteness" tends to be more ethnic than genetic as well. You don't seem to have any problem lumping Caucasian Europeans together as a de facto "race."

Bottom line: You and the media are making this issue far more complicated than it needs to be. The truth of the matter remains that Zimmerman simply is not "white" under any commonly used definition of the term.

I am not sure if Trayvon used the term "lily-white". But if he left out the lily part, was he just being mildly dishonest rather than "dishonest in the extreme"?

Trayvon only referred to Zimmerman as being a "creepy ass cracka." Such a comment would lead me to believe that he was not qualified to make any kind of informed observation where race differentiation was concerned.

He likely assumed that Zimmerman was white simply because he was lighter skinned; a rather bigoted assumption in and of itself.

Who is saying that GZ is "lily-white"? I mean besides you, who brought that up?

The mainstream media has made a deliberate point of downplaying Zimmerman's latin heritage, and referring to him as only being "white."

If you were to simply hear CNN or MSNBC talk about the man without seeing a picture of him, you would never even know that he was latino in the first place.

Last edited:

OK, if Zimmerman is white, is Obama white, too?

What do Hispanics think of this?

One of the strangest things about this extradorinarily mixed-up event.
[/INDENT]

If you ask me, this just feeds into a certain segment of white American society who can't help themselves and feel guilt anytime someone claims a white person harmed a black person, whether true or not. So whites tend to clam up, keep quiet, accept the admonishment, rather than speak up for themselves and what they feel is right. American pols on the left depend on this for survival.

On the other hand, Hispanics or latinos don't give a damn if you toss the race bait at them. They're smart enough to let it drip off their backs.

And the one final comment I'd make is that the liberal media and liberal pols are loath to pit blacks against hispanics because they rely on manipulating both in order to gain and retain political power. Much easier to blame those nasty white folk for ever ill in society.

If you ask me, this just feeds into a certain segment of white American society who can't help themselves and feel guilt anytime someone claims a white person harmed a black person, whether true or not. So whites tend to clam up, keep quiet, accept the admonishment, rather than speak up for themselves and what they feel is right. American pols on the left depend on this for survival.

On the other hand, Hispanics or latinos don't give a damn if you toss the race bait at them. They're smart enough to let it drip off their backs.

And the one final comment I'd make is that the liberal media and liberal pols are loath to pit blacks against hispanics because they rely on manipulating both in order to gain and retain political power. Much easier to blame those nasty white folk for ever ill in society.

Holy **** man, you might want to rephrase the bolded.

That's what almost most everyone sees. But not race-baiting administration, media, Jesse, Al, and overwhelming percentage of black Americans.

And it's definitely gone too far. A lot of people are sick to their stomach over this false racial BS, and it's going to linger. Race relations are taking several steps backward here.

Crump, the family lawyer....

Counsel was whipping up racial hatred and troubled conditions in Sanford

His lack of decorum and ethical propriety is absolutely deplorable

The bastard should be disciplined

Zimmerman is rather clearly one of them.
To you apparently.

To deny that these people on some level constitute a distinct "race" simply because they don't fit within your overly convenient cookie-cutter definition of the term and arbitrarily label them as being "white" instead is completely asinine.
Xuxa and Tonho Materia are both Hispanic. Therefore they are both of the same race.

Trayvon only referred to Zimmerman as being a "creepy ass cracka." Such a comment would lead me to believe that he not was qualified to make any kind of informed observation where race differentiation was concerned.
We're pulling the "No True Scotsman" gambit on the no-one-would-peg-him-as-white deal.

He likely assumed that Zimmerman was white simply because he was lighter skinned; a rather bigoted assumption in and of itself.
It's not that there's "No one in this country would immediately peg Zimmerman as being "white"". It's that there's no one in this country who doesn't make a bigoted assumption would immediately peg Zimmerman as being "white".

Last edited:

[/INDENT]

No. Obama is mixed race, but Black in appearance.

Zimmerman is white, but not the classification used for most of us: White Non-Hispanic.

To you apparently.

I dare you to name a single way in which George Zimmerman could be said to resemble a "white" man.

The skin tone is wrong. The coloring is wrong. The shape of the eyes is wrong. Even the facial bone structure is wrong.

The media went with "white" simply because his skin happened to be of a lighter shade than Trayvon's.

Xuxa and Tonho Materia are both Hispanic. Therefore they are both of the same race.

The former is legitimately "white Hispanic" and the other is clearly "black Hispanic." Zimmerman is neither.

I also notice that you completely ignored my point concerning the ethnic origins of "whiteness" as well. :roll:

We're pulling the "No True Scotsman" gambit on the no-one-would-peg-him-as-white deal.

It's not that there's "No one in this country would immediately peg Zimmerman as being "white"". It's that there's no one in this country who doesn't make a bigoted assumption would immediately peg Zimmerman as being "white".

Except that...

A) It was dark outside.

B) Trayvon was likely a racist **** head.

If I were to get into a fight with a person of Indian descent in the dark and refer to them as being a "chink," would the media be correct in running with that assumption simply because I made it in the heat of the moment?

Do you have any idea just how circular your logic comes off as being here? wtf.gif

Last edited:
If you ask me, this just feeds into a certain segment of white American society who can't help themselves and feel guilt anytime someone claims a white person harmed a black person, whether true or not. So whites tend to clam up, keep quiet, accept the admonishment, rather than speak up for themselves and what they feel is right.
This isn't exclusive to whites, for the record. Blacks, Hispanics, Asians and many other non-whites "clam up" instead of speaking up for themselves for fear that their criticisms will be dismissed as "race baiting", "playing the race card" and "causing tension." This is just the nature of how some individuals respond to the potential for conflict.

They're smart enough to let it drip off their backs.
Oops.

Truth be told, even with his white father and his German last name, George Zimmermann will never be perceived by anyone as anything other than an Hispanic male...........................

Truth be told, even with his white father and his German last name, George Zimmermann will never be perceived by anyone as anything other than an Hispanic male...........................

Is there a reason you're being sensible? Good evening bonz...

Is there a reason you're being sensible? Good evening bonz...

Good evening AP. All my comments are sensible. You're just reading them wrong....................

Good evening AP. All my comments are sensible. You're just reading them wrong....................

We'll hold that open for further debate. This thread seems to have died though...

The whole 'racist' narrative falls apart if they say the 'shooter' was a minority as well.

Or just whitewashing Hispanic racism towards Blacks............................

Or just whitewashing Hispanic racism towards Blacks............................

I find the term "whitewashing" to be racially insensitive.

I dare you to name a single way in which George Zimmerman could be said to resemble a "white" man.
Provide me a list of the appropriate characteristics first, please.
The media went with "white" simply because his skin happened to be of a lighter shade than Trayvon's.
So it's not part of the conspiracy to gin up racial tensions as has been alleged?
Do you have any idea just how circular your logic comes off as being here?
Just asking you some questions

Provide me a list of the appropriate characteristics first, please.

You look anything even remotely like the fellow pictured below?

nerdy-white-guy1.jpg

No? Well'p, I hate to break it to you, but you're probably not white.

No offense, but this isn't exactly rocket science here. I'm sure you've seen more than enough white people in your lifetime to at least have a general idea of what one should look like. More to the point, you should be quite capable of pointing out someone who isn't white based on their general features.

Zimmerman simply doesn't cut it.

George-Zimmerman.jpg

I've got no problem with Latinos, but trying to arbitrarily pass them off as "white" simply because it fits the Left-Wing political agenda is patently absurd.

[/INDENT]

All those statements are amazing, even the one Obama made about Travyon could have been his son. Zimmerman is 100% as much the race of Obama as Martin was.

But, then, remember, President Obama said the reason he used illegal drugs in the past was he was confused about his racial identity. Still is I guess.

You look anything even remotely like the fellow pictured below?
No? Well'p, I hate to break it to you, but you're probably not white.
I look much different imho. But I have been considered white my whole life.

No offense, but this isn't exactly rocket science here. I'm sure you've seen more than enough white people in your lifetime to at least have a general idea of what one should look like. More to the point, you should be quite capable of pointing out someone who isn't white based on their general features.
If the characteristics are not articulable, then how am I to complete your dare?

I've got no problem with Latinos, but trying to arbitrarily pass them off as "white" simply because it fits the Left-Wing political agenda is patently absurd.
and what if they're arbitrarily passed off as white for some other reason?
What about the Xuxa lady? Is she white? She looks "white" to me. But I have heard recently that her "race" is Hispanic. I am not so sure. Apparently, she is of the same race as Tonho Materia. But before I knew better I would have thought that they were different races.
Now I am all mixed up.

It'd be awesome if you would show me what the specs and tolerances for "white" bone structure are and stuff like that.
Personally, I don't think that there are established standards such as you alluded to. But you seem very confident. I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

What about Spaniards, the Portugese, Italians, and Greeks? Are those Europeans "white"? Or no?

I look much different imho. But I have been considered white my whole life.

Pics or it didn't happen.

and what if they're arbitrarily passed off as white for some other reason?
What about the Xuxa lady? Is she white? She looks "white" to me. But I have heard recently that her "race" is Hispanic. I am not so sure. Apparently, she is of the same race as Tonho Materia. But before I knew better I would have thought that they were different races.
Now I am all mixed up.

It'd be awesome if you would show me what the specs and tolerances for "white" bone structure are and stuff like that.
Personally, I don't think that there are established standards such as you alluded to. But you seem very confident. I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

What about Spaniards, the Portugese, Italians, and Greeks? Are those Europeans "white"? Or no?

I'm still not exactly sure what it is that you're having such a hard time understanding here. "Whiteness" and "hispanicness" are both primarily ethnic constructs. I've pointed this fact out to you multiple times.

Zimmerman does not fall within the confines of this ethnic definition of "whiteness." His cultural background and physical features simply are not what our society generally accepts as being "white."

In addition to even this, however; the fact of the matter remains that, even if "whiteness" is a primarily ethnic construct, at least the vast majority of Europeans can be said to be genetically and morphologically Caucasian. The same is not true of all South and Central American Hispanics.

They run the gambit from European descended Caucasians, to African Negroids, and Native American Mongoloids. This is how you can have "white Hispanics," "black Hispanics," and the wide variety of racial differentiations which exist in between ("mulatto," and the like, for instance).

I'm sorry, but even on this count, Zimmerman cannot really be said to be "white." His features simply are not primarily Caucasoid. They are far closer to being Native American.

Again, either which way you want to look at it, Zimmerman simply is not what anyone would consider to be "white."

Last edited:

[/INDENT]
Its not strange at all. Cant create and exploit a racism angle if the alleged bad guy is Hispanic. Got to have a white perpetrator. Its a time honored trait. WHite guy beats up gay guy, front page news. Gang of black guys beats ug gay guy in Atlanta...nothing. Black man becomes the first openly gay candidate for mayor in Mississippi and is murdered and it is a front page story. Find out the perp is a black guy...story literally vanishes from web sites overnight.

Its only fit for exploitation if the perp is white.

Pics or it didn't happen.
Alright you win. I didn't happen.

I'm still not exactly sure what it is that you're having such a hard time understanding here. "Whiteness" and "hispanicness" are both primarily ethnic constructs. I've pointed this fact out to you multiple times.
Is "blackness" an ethnic concept? And is there actually any difference between ethnicity and race?

Zimmerman does not fall within the confines of this ethnic definition of "whiteness."
What is the definition of "white ethnicity" exactly?

Again, either which way you want to look at it, Zimmerman simply is not what anyone would consider to be "white."
You keep saying categorical things like that. But at least one person did so. Therefore, I think that you are, at best, overstating your case.

Back
Top Bottom