• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

AP Still Referring to Zimmerman as 'White'

To Trayvon he was white and obviously was frightened when Zimmerman
followed him.

BS. The general reaction of a " frightened" individual isn't to ground amd pound a total strangers head into the Concrete.

HAD he been afraid , REALLY afraid he would probably still be alive.

I'm sure he was fater than Zimmerman and we know is cell phone was functional ( 911 )

Zimmerman is rather clearly not "white Hispanic."
If you say so.
Mixed or no, what you see below is pretty unmistakably just plain "Hispanic" in terms of racial features.
I thought Hispanic was an ethnicity not a race.
:shrug:
No one in this country would immediately peg Zimmerman as being "white" if the were to simply walk past him on the street one day. The AP and MSM in general are full of crap and they know it.
Except Trayvon Martin did.
But he's dead now. So maybe you're right and there's no one else who peg GZ was "white".
idk

BS. The general reaction of a " frightened" individual isn't to ground amd pound a total strangers head into the Concrete.
I have never been in a fight where I wasn't scared. But I am prob'ly not as manly as yourself or other "individuals.

If you say so.
I thought Hispanic was an ethnicity not a race.
:shrug:

Then you would be wrong. At least in South, Central, and Mexican American contexts, "Hispanic" peoples generally represent a combination of White European, African, and Native American bloodlines.

They are fairly distinct from a genetic standpoint.

HAD he been afraid , REALLY afraid he would probably still be alive.

I'm sure he was fater than Zimmerman and we know is cell phone was functional ( 911 )
Zimmerman wasn't frightened because he had heat.

So having a gun = never scared?

Bull****.

Zimmerman is just as white as President Obama, technically.

Obama is is black, in fact many of the black people you see today have varying shades of skin color, they are all considered black, don't use fractions to describe them.

No he's not, if Zimmerman is white, so is Obama. That means we've never had a black president, and racism lives strong in America. Right, makes perfect sense because the MSM says Zimmerman is white, but he's really Hispanic.

Then you would be wrong. At least in South, Central, and Mexican American contexts, "Hispanic" peoples generally represent a combination of White European, African, and Native American bloodlines.
They are fairly distinct from a genetic standpoint.
And their "genetic distinctness" has an effect on whether or not Hispanic refers to a race to an ethnicity?

OK, if Zimmerman is white, is Obama white, too?

What do Hispanics think of this?

One of the strangest things about this extradorinarily mixed-up event.
[/INDENT]

You know - I really don't care what race he is thus I don't care what race people call him - are people going to be offended that my mixed race Caucasian/Native American son says he's white though he looks more Native American?

I have never been
in a fight where I wasn't scared. But I am prob'ly not as manly as yourself or other "individuals.

It wasn't a "fight" in the sense of trading punches. It was an assault.

When I was younger and much meaner, I remember blind rage when someone pushed me too far, not fear.

Try again.

You know - I really don't care what race he is thus I don't care what race people call him - are people going to be offended that my mixed race Caucasian/Native American son says he's white though he looks more Native American?

The issue is that the press could not refer to Zimmerman as a Hispanic because it wouldn't help the racial narrative that was being fomented...

No he's not, if Zimmerman is white, so is Obama. That means we've never had a black president, and racism lives strong in America. Right, makes perfect sense because the MSM says Zimmerman is white, but he's really Hispanic.
I said Obama was black which he is, I didn't say anything about Zimmerman.

And their "genetic distinctness" has an effect on whether or not Hispanic refers to a race to an ethnicity?

Again, it rather clearly refers to both on a de facto basis. There are some "Hispanic" people who clearly are more white than anything else, and there are some who obviously favor black or native american lineages instead. Some, however; have a rather distinctive look that is directly indicative of none of those races.

Zimmerman rather clearly falls into this last category. Trying to pretend that he is some sort of lilly white "cracker" when a simple glance at the man rather clearly indicates otherwise is misleading and dishonest in the extreme.

Except Trayvon Martin did.
But he's dead now. So maybe you're right and there's no one else who peg GZ was "white".
idk[/FONT]

This would frankly only serve to highlight Trayvon's inherent bigotry. It basically demonstrates an attitude which seems to hold that "all lighter skinned people look alike."

As I said before, considering the attitudes expressed by the company he kept, it wouldn't surprise me at all if such a thing actually turned out to be true.

Last edited:
It wasn't a "fight" in the sense of trading punches. It was an assault.
And people who are afraid do not lash out?

When I was younger and much meaner, I remember blind rage when someone pushed me too far, not fear.
Try again.
What's there to try? I already acknowledged that you (and individuals) are more manly (and braver) than me.

So having a gun = never scared?

Bull****.

From experience ( Texas is a Conceal Carry State ) having a Glock 17 shoved into a shoulder holster actually doesn't extinguish fear, it magnifies it and causes you to thoroughly consider the reprucussions of having to pull that pistol, which is your very last option.

Even defending yourself within the confines of the law can turn your life upside down, as we see with Zimmerman.

I was told years ago by a attorney friend that if you shoot someone, even legally there's a 80% chance they're going to convene a grand jury.

There's a good chance the victims family will bring a wrongful death civil suite and, his words " it will be the most expensive bullet you will ever fire".

The issue is that the press could not refer to Zimmerman as a Hispanic because it wouldn't help the racial narrative that was being fomented...

Good afternoon, AP! :2wave:

Most of us understand what is happening, but it doesn't make the truth any less factual...Zimmerman is still Hispanic, whether they like it or not... however it does make Holder look like he is encouraging riots and mayhem! Another scandal brewing for this administration? :shock:

Again, it rather clearly refers to both on a de facto basis. There are some "Hispanic" people who clearly are more white than anything else, and there are some who obviously favor black or native american lineages instead. Some, however; have a rather distinctive look that is directly indicative of none of those races.
So the race of white Hispanics and the race of black Hispanics is Hispanic?

Zimmerman rather clearly falls into this last category. Trying to pretend that he is some sort of lilly white "cracker" when a simple glance at the man rather clearly indicates otherwise is misleading and dishonest in the extreme.
I am not sure if Trayvon used the term "lily-white". But if he left out the lily part, was he just being mildly dishonest rather than "dishonest in the extreme"?

Who is saying that GZ is "lily-white"? I mean besides you, who brought that up?

Good afternoon, AP! :2wave:

Most of us understand what is happening, but it doesn't make the truth any less factual...Zimmerman is still Hispanic, whether they like it or not... however it does make Holder look like he is encouraging riots and mayhem! Another scandal brewing for this administration? :shock:

Good afternoon pg... Progs only use the Hispanic descriptor when it furthers their agenda...

He should just be called George Zimmerman.

But if he's white, then white America just grew by several million people.

There are Hispanics, and there are White Hispanics; there are also non-Hispanic Whites. Do a little research.

This would frankly only serve to highlight Trayvon's inherent bigotry. It basically demonstrates an attitude which seems to hold that "all lighter skinned people look alike."
So it's possible that there still might be some people alive who would peg GZ as white?

Some should start referring to the President as a "white African-American." Seems the same standard is applicable, is it not?

OK, if Zimmerman is white, is Obama white, too?

What do Hispanics think of this?

One of the strangest things about this extradorinarily mixed-up event.
[/INDENT]
Hispanic isn't actually a race - it's an ethnicity. There are white Hispanics, black Hispanics and Hispanics that don't identify as either black or white. Therefore, it is illogical to take issue with that description on the basis that it is inaccurate because it isn't necessarily inaccurate.

It is logical, however, to question why people emphasize the white "side" of Zimmerman in this story when, if he were perhaps involved in another issue, the same people would emphasize his "Hispanic" side. For instance, if Zimmerman was in the news for being stopped in Arizona by police who questioned his immigration status, his "Hispanic-ness" would probably be emphasized over his "whiteness" whereas now his "whiteness" is being emphasized over his "Hispanic-ness".

I suppose some people will argue that it's just a simple case of hypocrisy and baiting where the media uses whatever identifier makes the better the story. I, however, would argue that it is more complicated than that. Because race is a social construct, how people identify each other racially can often change in certain contexts - not out of a conscious effort to be deceitful - but instead out of their own perceptions of how race changes in certain contexts. For example, consider how some black people can "pass" for white. In certain contexts, they are considered white and in other contexts, they are considered black. This happens with a lot of people.

There are Hispanics, and there are White
Hispanics; there are also non-Hispanic Whites. Do a little research.

Yea but usually the distinction isn't made for the sole purpose of ginning up some false narrative about racial conflict.

How that escaped you is beyond me.

Hispanic isn't actually a race - it's an ethnicity. There are white Hispanics,
black Hispanics and Hispanics that don't identify as either black or white. Therefore, it is illogical to take issue with that description on the basis that it is inaccurate because it isn't necessarily inaccurate.

It is logical, however, to question why people emphasize the white "side" of Zimmerman in this story when, if he were perhaps involved in another issue, the same people would emphasize his "Hispanic" side. For instance, if Zimmerman was in the news for being stopped in Arizona by police who questioned his immigration status, his "Hispanic-ness" would probably be emphasized over his "whiteness" whereas now his "whiteness" is being emphasized over his "Hispanic-ness".

I suppose some people will argue that it's just a simple case of hypocrisy and baiting where the media uses whatever identifier makes the better the story. I, however, would argue that it is more complicated than that. Because race is a social construct, how people identify each other racially can often change in certain contexts - not out of a conscious effort to be deceitful - but instead out of their own perceptions of how race changes in certain contexts. For example, consider how some black people can "pass" for white. In certain contexts, they are considered white and in other contexts, they are considered black. This happens with a lot of people.

You can argue that it had to do with something more complex all you want.

The reality is some in the media used it knowing it would suck in allot of really stupid people and second cause enough fear to get a prosecution.

Back
Top Bottom