• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AP Source: Volkswagen reaches $14.7B emissions settlement

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Volkswagen diesel owners can choose to either sell their car back to the company or get a repair that could diminish the vehicle's performance under a settlement of claims tied to the German automaker's emissions-cheating scandal.

The settlement will cost VW $14.7 billion, a person briefed on the settlement talks said Monday, but does not resolve all the legal issues stemming from its admission that nearly a half million vehicles with 2-liter diesel engines were programmed to turn on emissions controls during government lab tests and turn them off while on the road.

Yea, we don't need no stinkin' government regulations here. Move along.

On the other hand, Volkswagen does seem to be the new poster boy for the need to keep government regulations.

Article is here.

Are owners of the cars forced to do one of those two things?

They can sell their car back to the company, and get their money back. It's a no-brainer, since Volkswagen lied to them about the product they were selling.

Why would you not want to do one of those two things?

They can sell their car back to the company, and get their money back. It's a no-brainer, since Volkswagen lied to them about the product they were selling.

Due to a regulation that is unreasonable. :shrug:

Maybe because you like your car as it is.

If you can get a free modification that prevents your car from polluting as much, why wouldn't you want that?

Due to a regulation that is unreasonable. :shrug:

Damn, I love your thinking. I would like to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge. And there is nothing you can do about it, once you realize I lied to you and ripped you off, because regulations that say I can't lie to you are unreasonable.

Yea, we don't need no stinkin' government regulations here. Move along.

On the other hand, Volkswagen does seem to be the new poster boy for the need to keep government regulations.

Article is here.

Actually, government regulations were of no real value since they didn't wind up regulating VW at all. The reason VW has to pay up is because they defrauded the consumers who purchased their cars.

If you can get a free modification that prevents your car from polluting as much, why wouldn't you want that?

A modification that will likely lower the performance of my car.

Well, at least your car would be road legal.

Yeah, I suppose. I'm not exactly sure why that is a very strong argument though.

Yeah, I suppose. I'm not exactly sure why that is a very strong argument though.

Would you rather have spent money on a car that you can drive or look at?

Would you rather have spent money on a car that you can drive or look at?

Who says I won't drive it anyway?

Frankly the regulation is stupid and everyone should have broke it. :shrug:

Who says I won't drive it anyway?

Frankly the regulation is stupid and everyone should have broke it. :shrug:

Yea, pointlessly polluting the atmosphere is something we should all strive for.

Because it screws the car up. Besides the NOX the pollution that thing emits normally is a hell of a lot better than the regulations permit. Its the NOX that tripped them up. That machine is very efficient. I want one.

Because it screws the car up. Besides the NOX the pollution that thing emits normally is a hell of a lot better than the regulations permit. Its the NOX that tripped them up. That machine is very efficient. I want one.

If the car was created like you want, it wouldn't be legal on the road.

Damn, I love your thinking. I would like to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge. And there is nothing you can do about it, once you realize I lied to you and ripped you off, because regulations that say I can't lie to you are unreasonable.

If you like your insurance than you can keep it period.

I had to dodge sniper fire on Bosnia.

we are holding VW to a higher level of accountability concerning honesty than we expect from our elected officials. No wonder we are so screwed up as a country.

we are holding VW to a higher level of accountability concerning honesty than we expect from our elected officials. No wonder we are so screwed up as a country.

We are holding VW to fulfill the pollution laws in America. I don't think either of those lies violated laws.

It's simple consumer law. If a company lies to you, and you end up with a defective product, the company should be penalized for it. Very simple concept, except to those sociopaths who believe ripping off consumers is the right way to do business.

Why would you not want to do one of those two things?

If your car passes local emission tests (or there are none) then why have it "fixed" to get lower fuel economy?

If your car passes local emission tests (or there are none) then why have it "fixed" to get lower fuel economy?

It doesn't pass the emission laws. That is the whole issue.

Or they could just do neither and keep their car as is, polluting and more powerful.

Because it significantly reduces the power of the vehicle?

Back
Top Bottom